JBL D-130

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by swassguy, Nov 13, 2003.

1. I've got an old set of JBL D-130 15 inch speakers (silver centers) in my Sunn enclosure right now, and they're starting to get a little fuzzy sounding. I'm afraid they're going to go soon and I was wondering what I should get as a replacement.

The JBLs that I've seen on eBay seem pretty expensive (probably because they're all vintage speakers in perfect condition). Is there another speaker that will give me the same efficiency and tonal characteristics as my JBLs? Are there any that won't kill me moneywise - a good D-130 can set me back $150 or more.

Is it a good bet to buy reconed speakers?

Thanks for the help!
  2. Your best bet is to get them reconed. Do a web search and find the nearest reputable place.

If you don't want to do that, then get some Peavey Black Widow 15's. They were inspired by the JBL's.

3. Oh, and I forgot to mention, I used to listen to that SirMixalot all the time back in high school. :D

4. Thanks a lot!

I was concerned about reconing 1, because I didn't know how well reconed speakers performed and 2, I wasn't sure how long it would actually take to recone a set.

I knew of a few places around here that did that sort of work, I'll have to look them up.
  5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    www.speakerreconing.com , Portland, OR did my D140 for $120 using an 8 ohm 'OEM' reconing kit. Works great. Easy folks to deal with. There is a contact phone on their website.

When you first fire them up after the recone, they sound pretty 'flat' after a bit of playing time they come to life as things 'loosen up'. I would guess this to be the surround getting flexible but not being a speaker designer/repair guy - who's to say. The speaker will require a break in period though, just like a new driver - which in fact it really is.

When you recone, you can select the impedance of the voice coil (16/8/4) and often there are alternatives to the kit you select. I know that the K140 kit will fit the D140 frame. Not sure about the K fitting the D130 frame. The guy's at Brownell (speakerreconing.com is a division of Brownell Sound) can help you there.

I dealt with Mike McIntosh there.
    Hope that's helpful.
  6. I played D130's back in the early 60's. They are a lead guitar speaker, not a bass driver. The D140 series are the bass drivers.

If you have them reconed, it will be expensive as the only right way is using a genuine JBL kit. The cheapie after market kits are not the same. I have an E110 reconed with one of these sh1t-kits, and there is a mile of difference between it and a genuine E110.
  7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    In the case of the kits used at Brownell, I'd have to disagree. No tonal difference at all that I can discerne. I suspect that the quality of the various oem kits available varies significantly. Probably the quality of installation as well.

The owner is also a bassist. Strong one I might add. Based on our dicussion when I had them do the work, they understood that tone was the overriding criteria, not price. That was a side, although not unwelcome benefit. To the tune of about $75.

To me a real issue would be if the D130 frame can be used with a bass guitar oriented re-cone kit...