Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

JBL D140 Recone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tom Neves, Feb 26, 2003.

1. I have just recently finished my first bass speaker cabinet project.
    I had an old JBL D-140 orange basket laying around and had it re-coned.
    This cab was built acording to JBL's specs for their smallest 15" enclosure.
    Acording to the tech that did the re-cone, JBL ONLY makes E kits as a replacement.
    My question is, Should I now call it an E-140?
    And if so, Are the specs and power rating that of an "E"?

2. Check with Orange County Speaker Repair.

Make *sure* you get a genuine JBL recone kit, and not a cheap aftermarket kit. I have one JBL E110 that is reconed with an aftermarket kit, and there is a HUGE, audible difference between a JBL cone and aftermarket, in an A/B test.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    The E140 was a great speaker. FS of 32hz, 200w, 8 ohms, very low QTS. I looked everywhere for one of those before I gave up and bought an E145 instead (also a great speaker). If it's an E140 recone kit, I imagine is is now an E140, and you're gonna love it......

4. BGavin,
    Make *sure* you get a genuine JBL recone kit, and not a cheap aftermarket kit. I have one JBL E110 that is reconed with an aftermarket kit, and there is a HUGE, audible difference between a JBL cone and aftermarket, in an A/B test.

It is a genuine JBL kit. It cost me around $180.00 parts and labor.
    I love the sound it's deep and punchy.
    I will try it out with the band soon and report back if I have any concerns.

5. Yes,you now have an E140 specs and all.Great sounding speakers.

6. Guys,
    More questions,
    1. What will fiberglass insulation do the the sound of the speaker/cabinet? As used in vintage Fender cabs.
    2. I want to run this cab with my 2-12 1963 Bassman. ( K-120's)
    I believe its 4 ohms, The 15 is 8 ohm.
    Is it safe with the Bassman head?
    Thanks for all your opinions.:) :)

7. 1. The fiberglass helps damp the air in the cab and reduces intenal reflections. It also makes the cab seem like it is a slightly larger volume as far as the speaker is concerned. It's a good thing.

2. The Bassman wants to see a 4 ohm load, so you probably shouldn't run the 4 ohm cab and the 8 ohm cab at the same time. Just run one or the other. The single 15" will sound really good.

Chris

8. Chris,
    Where would I source the fiberglass?
    As always, you guys are my Encyclopedia of Bass.
    Thanks again

9. Go to a fabric store and use Polyfil or something similar like they make for stuffing pillows. Don't use real fiberglass insulation.

Chris

10. Chris,
    Good idea I will check it out in my area.
    Any particular amount to purchase?
    Should I lightly pack the cabinet ?
    This is not foam. Correct?
    It is the strand like white material found in pillows?
    Regards,
    Tom

11. I'd just get enough to pad at least 3 internal surfaces (back, bottom, at least one side wall) about 2 to 4 inches thick. Use some spray adhesive or staple gun or something. I wouldn't completely fill the enclosure.

You're correct, it's the stringy stuff inside pillows or cushions.

Chris

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That's correct. if you run these two cabs it a total load of 2.67 ohms, well below 4, so you'll fry the amp head.

If you want to use 2 cabs, use two 8 ohms cabs for a total 4 ohm load.