1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

JBL E-140s, Suitable Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Count Bassie, May 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Hundred proof

Hundred proof

Apr 22, 2018
    Yes if you're looking for glorious old school ... it is, I totally love mine but it's not for everyone.

Count Bassie and agedhorse like this.
  2. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    I'm picking up an empty Sunn 200s cab tomorrow. Just don't have the resource of time to build one. Been wanting to build something for years, just always something else that's priority. Even bought the plans for a BFM Omni TB, never built the thing. But I've been playing!

There's just always a cab around to run an amp into...

3. Another Sunn would be 2-15SH

Folded Horn cab

Also came as 1-15SH

4. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    One of these?...

sunnsh.

5. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Ok so I'm hearing different renditions of what speaker origjnally went with what cab... is it the E-140 or the D-140 that was originally on the 200s, and would loading in the other one be ok/not ok/"better"/"not better"... and in few words, how come?

The less science here, the better! Thank you all for your indulgence!

6. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Apparently the E-140 won't fit in the 200s cab unless you mount it to the front of the baffle. Then you have to add some kind of minimal spacer to get clearance from the grille, which is doable.
    Also the D-140 has some more x-max to it than the E model, which was covered here I think.
    I can get it, I think, with the Ds in it, maybe he'll take my E-140s in trade...

7. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Originally the 200s came with D-140s, I'm getting confirming entries from several other sites too...

8. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Lol... answering my own questions...

9. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    D-140 has greater x-max but is a little more fragile.
    E-140 takes more power but has less low-end extension it seems.

My Acoustic 370, at 4 ohms (250 watts or so), doesn't appear to present much hazard as a speaker-ruiner though, so maybe the D- is my go-to?

10. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    I've run into a Peavey 215 which appears to be the non-Deep version. This:
    01717_evvkfmedeot_1200x900-.
    00r0r_4nahn6agyrv_1200x900-.

Got that pair of JBL E-140s to drop into it... the Sunn 200s I've benn looking at turns out to be farther away than I want to go in my old Chevy S-10, and this one is nice and close.

Anyone who knows the 200s cab have any wisdom here? Is this a waste of time, or a reasonable idea? Thanks!

I'm sure this will become something else later, what I really want is an oldie Acoustic Control cab. But this needs to hold me for a few shows.

11. Rick James

Rick James

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    When the Qts is 0.17 and Vas is 297L it takes a big box to get any low end. That's why they don't make them like they used to.

12. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Somewhere the rumor of the D-140 having 5mm of Xmax got out, but in actuality it's closer to 3mm. The winding height of the VC is not tall enough to get 5mm of Xmax using the stock D-140 VC. In fact, I don't think the bobbin height is tall enough to be able to wind a tall enough coil to achieve that much Xmax. It's been a while since I reconed these models, but I'm pretty sure of this in spite of what the internet might suggest.

Count Bassie likes this.
  13. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    That's the kind of info I'm after... thanks.

agedhorse likes this.
  14. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Found this nearby.

00t0t_dDu7PprYf7d_600x450.

Think I'll pick it up this week (bag the Peavey, posted above). I'll make a tidy grille for it, cut a couple wood wedges and have a little kick-back caster thing down at the bottom of one side.

It's not that intriguing folded horn type porting like the Sunn, but it's a JBL... and it looks big enough to hold 8 cu. ft to me. I'll bring a tape and use the calculator app on my phone to check that out before I take it away. Only $75... that's my kinda sound, nowadays! Lol.

There's where I'm at, at this point... pix and confetti or laments to come...

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  15. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    This is what the E-140 speakers were in when I got them:

20180513_133307.

20180513_133415.

20180513_133545.

Sonic enclosures, about 2.27 cu ft each. I figure I can resize the baffles for an appropriate 12 or 10 down the road. They're certainly a handy size.

16. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Be sure it's plywood (I've seen them in various materials), it looks like a 4648 LF cabinet (cinema series) but they did make a 4638 which was shallower. There should be a crossover or biamp connection plate on the top right side (not the back) looking at the front of the cabinet. They were intended for installation behind the screen, there may be mounting hardware on the top for the HF horn bracket. They were also sold to be used as subs in small theatres, but more often we saw 4645 cabinets with 2245 drivers (foam surrounds, I reconed maybe a couple hundred 2245's as 2240's because the foam deteriorated. My client owned a cinema chain with about 350 screens)

This cabinet was tuned for 2226 drivers, the tuning is likely to be considerably different for the D140's. You may be able to get away with closing up one port for D-140's but you need to run the numbers.

Count Bassie likes this.
  17. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Mine are E140s, don't know how different specs are, but I see a lot of either talked about in similar context. But that's good to know, I'll keep it at the forefront when I go see.
    Thanks for chiming in.

agedhorse likes this.
  18. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Yep, heard these. I did take the opportunity to listen again though, it's interesting to get inside each sound and walk around in it a minute.

19. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    I've had a K140 in a Joe's TL-606... two of those would be my answer to all things speakerish...