Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

JBL E140 alternatives?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, May 21, 2004.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Im going to build a cab for mids and highs (Ive got a cab for lows) and would like the JBL E140 sound. Can I achieve that out of any new driver on the market?
    Used JBL´s are hard to find in Sweden. It does not have to be a 15" driver. My sub is a 12".

2. Buy the JBL M-151 instead. There are some selling on eBay right now. Reserve is $90. I bought two. They are in my spread sheet.

For current production European stock, first look at Beyma, then Selenium, then RCF, and perhaps Fane.

3. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks!
    Im specifically looking for that bright, sharply defined sound the JBL e140 has. Does the m151 give that?

Edit: I found in an old thread that you mentioned that the Eminence B102 could give the JBL E140 sound. Is that so? Might be a bit more portable too. Have you heard the B102? How does it sound?

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    What about the K140? How does it compare to the E140?

5. The K140 is the predecessor to the E140. It will probably sound closer than the B102.

JBL obsoleted the K140 for a reason... and I don't know what that reason is. (1) Too expensive to make? If so, JBL cost-reduced it by making the E140 line. (2) Obsolete design? If so JBL improved performance over the K140 by introducing the E140.

I have no idea. But, the entire K-series line was obsoleted, and replaced by the E-series.

The E-series has a lot more magnet weight and is more efficient. The E-series runs in smaller boxes, but has a much higher F3 than the K-series.

The K-series has more Xmax, displaces more air volume, and has a 10% less BL factor. All told, the K140 looks to have more bottom end.