JBL E140 or something else?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Mar 20, 2011.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I am getting a Showman Tone-Ring 1x15 cab empty in a few months and wondering if I should go with a JBL E140 or something else. I would really like to buy the 15" that Eminence has custom made for the new Heritage Series B-15's, but I doubt I will be able to buy one:crying:. so what do you guys say

2. Those tone ring cabinets came loaded with a JBL D140F speaker. I don't think you could go wrong with an E140.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    jiohnk recommended the k140 to me when i was considering upgrading my b-15 rig. still haven't got them because they're so expensive and i can't bring myself to spring for them.

4. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I use the E140's in a 215 cab. They are heavy, but my favorite 15 as far as tone goes, which is low enough for me , with a nice crisp edge on top. I also use the K140 in a 115 combo that sounds really sweet. I have also used the D140 in a 215 Kustom tuck and roll cab that sounds nice , sort of a Duck Dunn tone with an edge. Out of all 3, I would use the E140 if you don't mind the weight. It can take more volume before farting out, has an edgier tone. If you want sweet and fat at a lower volume, either the K ( a bit more volume friendly ) or the D ( might be more harder to find ) should do. Alot of people are using the Eminence 3015 as a do it all 15 that seems to be most forgiving of the neo 15's to just slap in a cabinet. Probably should figure the inside volume of the cab to get it right.

5. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I have a K140 in mine and it's definitely something else. Compared to the other B15 I had/others that I've played this one seems pretty compressed in the mids at lower volumes but once you get it cooking it just sounds fantastic. I had to play around with the settings a bit to get some familiar tones, but man, once I got it where I wanted it...

6. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Jul 23, 2008
    If you can still get E140's, snap em up. My gig cab back in the gigging days was a home-brew 2x15 with E140's and there wasn't an amp in the city at the time that could stress them even a little bit. Just nothing but pure, police-drawing low frequency thunder.

They do have a smooth freq. response, tho, a lot like a typical hi-fi driver. So if you like heavy midbass (like I do nowadays), you'll have to EQ them for it.

My back can't take that kind of weight anymore tho, so I've had to back off on the cabs a bit (see attached pic)...

LS

7. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks guys for the great info! I might just get a E140 I will be using this cab with a GK 400RB (Customized full chrome job to the chassis)

On a side note Weber's new Bass Series 15 looks good. I tried their High Powered Michigan 15" and it had an amazing tone at low volume, but farted out way too early as its not a bass guitar speaker

8. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    I adore both the E140 and D140 for studio or very low volume type situations; these speakers have a sweetness and a warmth nothing can equal. That being said most of these speakers are older now and can't take the abuse of playing loud(er). With modern poweramps and loud bandmates, it's very easy to damage them.

I have been using a Beyma 15G40 which is very heavy, very expensive but it captures the warmth and sweetness of the E140 and D140 while being able to take whatever you will throw at it powerwise. The Beyma also offers extended frequencies, particularly in the bass compared with these other speakers.

9. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks.. I'll look into a Beyma 15G40. How well does it do with 200watts?

10. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    I like the K140 it still has an alnico magnet like the D140 except it has the same power handling as an E140.
    Classic 15" bass guitar tone heaven in the right cab, gotta love the tin can top end thing with the ally voice coil cap, sounds like my strings are about a week newer.
    :bassist:

11. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I believe the E140 was rated higher than the K140, although the K140 has a higher Xmax. Can't go wrong with either one, though !

12. spellcaster

spellcaster

Mar 20, 2007
    NY-DC
    If your doing a single 15 into 200 watts then I'd say go for the E-140 or check out a E-145.

13. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The D & K 140's are the same except for the color of the paint. If you remember back to Nixon and Fair Trade, the D40 was a 'listed' item. JBL had to sell them to the Gov at a fixed price. To get a price increase, they changed the color scheme and the model number.

The E140 is an entirely different animal. To my ear, the D or the K are sweeter. The E will handle a bunch more power. Historically, K recone kit's have been easy to source so snagging a dead one is a reasonable bet.

To me this would come down to what I was going to power the cab with. Even a single E140 in that cab isn't going to be a barn burner volume wise. If I were pairing the cab with something like a 100 watt tube head - it would be the D or the K for sure. If it were a much stronger head - I'd scrap the tone ring cab in favor of an old 4625B JBL Cabaret series cab. (and then I'd have to sell it as it's too darned big and weights too darned much.) I ran a pair of the Cabaret 1x15's in the early 80's and they made a decent stage rig. Snap on plywood transport cover was innovative back then. No way I'd go back to that kinda stuff though.

Your other alternative is trying the Eminence KL3015. That speaker seems pretty forgiving and it has a high mid's peak hat reminds me of the old JBL 140. It isn't the same but it's playing in the same ballpark and given it's weight, man I'd be there fast ...

14. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    And power handling ,cone material, surrounds, adhesives and formers. They're similar in sound, but the K series - at least in a power handling/mechanical sense - were an improvement over the D series.

15. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    It does well, I often use a Traynor YBA200-2 (200 watts - tube) to drive it. I also have driven it with a Carvin B1500 and it loves the big headroom of that amp.

If you like warm and full spectrum bass driver; it's a great speaker and it will take all the abuse you will ever give it.
    I believe it's rated for 700 watts. I played an outdoor gig with this driver and it did not break a sweat!

16. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    well I scored a nice E140 for $160 shipped.. what should I except with the Tone-Ring/E140 and GK400RB volume and tone wise? The E140 is 8ohms which means the GK will put out 125watts

17. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Good score! Expect a classic sounding bright mid forward 15" cab with great clarity, tone and efficiency.
    PS if you need it any louder, just get another one.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021