Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

JBL-E145

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mel Monihan, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    I saw this on another thread, and not to beat a dead horse or anything, but a friend of mine just told me that he had one of these speakers and wanted to know if I was interested.After reading some of your posts, I think I am interested.Can anyone give me a little more info on this speaker and tell me what one in good shape might be worth? Thanks.

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Moved to amps.

Have you seen This Thread? . The E145 is covered pretty well there.

3. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    Yes.That's the one I was referring to.I know people think it is a great speaker, but what is it worth realistically.I know it is whatever you are willing to pay for it, but I was hoping for some guide as to what I should offer for it.Thanks.Sorry I posted it in the wrong catagory.

4. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I had one of those in the 70's. I remember someone saying "its the worst speaker for bass JBL ever made" I think he was was referring to the efficiency specs. I beleive its the speaker with the over sized frame, designed for guys playing B-3. I'd take a close look at the specs on that one. If I'm not mistaken the E series was rated at 400 watts and improved the output some. If I could get one for $125 I might just for fun, but wouldn't pay that much more for one in good shape.

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    E145 is a nice driver for bass. The going rate is all over the place. Once in a great while you can find on under $100 but you have to be very patient. If the driver is in good shape anywhere from 100 to 200 is realistic. A recone of that driver using the JBL recone kit is in the $180 range so you need to know if ther driver truly is good or not ... Specs for the driver are in the tech library at www.jblpro.com. The TS parms are there as are the enclosure guidelines.

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I guess everyone's entitled to an opinion, but 99dB at 1w/1m is hardly innefficient for a single 15.

7. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Oh heck, he was full of crap then.

8. Engineering-wise, the E145 is one of JBLs more advanced drivers. And expensive.

I'd own one, for sure.