1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

JBL K-140 = Great Tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DrumsAndBass, Jan 25, 2012.

1. I'm trying to find an alternative for a K-140 in a single 4 cubic foot (internal) 1x15 cab. I don't want more lows than what the K has to offer. Instead, I'm looking for a 15" driver that comes close to the great tone of the K.
    Thanks

2. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    I do remember when the K-140 was the go to bass driver. A replacement? Try Beyma.

I am not sure if today, the K-140 would still be as well accepted due to the advancements in technology and design. Still, one the best in it's day.

3. here's the closest Beyma comes to a JBL D/E/K140:

Beyma Speakers - Beyma 15E138 speaker - Beyma 15E138 600 watt 15" waterproof low frequency woofer for all quality bass applications. Beyma 15E138 bass and other Beyma 15" speakers here.

at that price I'd be looking at eBay for a K140 as they're not far apart price-wise.

I agree, nothing quite like those old JBL 15" drivers, I just recently loaded (and ported/tuned) a Showman cab w/two D140Fs. Nothing quite like it nowadays :cool:

Can the new stuff outperform this? Absolutely. Just doesn't sound the same to my ears, though. Beauty is in the ear of the beholder, after all :D

4. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Hmm, similiar to JBL 130 ? That was a guitar speaker,iirc. I would try to find a good, reconed K140. Nothing I have found so far comes close to that tone. Or , may be this one, but I know nothing about it : http://www.usspeaker.com/beyma 15MI100-1.htm

5. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    I dunno how the spec compares cause never seen a set of specs for the JBL, but kappalite 3015 cabs have been compared favourably with 'good' old 15" cabs. That have nice top on them.

6. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Just FYI I have a K-140 for sale.

7. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Well thats a tall order as the K 140 is very characteristic
    in its tone with the bright forward mid augmented by the ally center dome, spose an Altec 421 is close and maybe a 418 series 2 is closer still what with the alnico magnet,
    I have a pair of old Ampeg 115 metal badge cabs with the Altec 418 Series 11 option in them.
    They sound fab very K 140 ish but a tad warmer and more gentle in the breakup when pushed.
    3015 Eminence are good but there is something not so smooth about the upper mid and they don't really have that classic tingly bright top.
    What about Electrovoice 15L's they dont suck, sound great in those old mesa diesel cabs.
    OLD Eden and SWR 15' cabs are cool too:bassist:

8. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

I'm also curious as to what's currently in production that sounds similar/behaves similarly to a JBL D140 or K140. Is the Beyma the only one even close?

The EV 15B's are good, as I suppose the 15L's probably are as well, but they're also out of production, from what I know.

9. I've been studying this subject for a bit and based on everything I've read the closest thing is the Beyma, but it still doesn't nail it. It's the JBL D/E/K or nada it seems :atoz:

I don't believe those EVs are made anymore, either, great speakers, though.

Weber Speakers claims to have a JBL bass 15 knock off but I know not of the T/S nor have heard any.

10. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

I'm looking for something that would sound mostly the same in a 2000S cab. Right now I've got EV 15B's in mine, and it kills, but I kinda would like to make another one some time, and would like newer drivers. Maybe I'll make a studio 1x15 with an old JBL some time, but I don't know that I'd feel all right playing really loud metal through irreplaceable drivers.

11. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

One of my all time favorite speakers, a JBL K-140 with a 100 watt tube head is a thing of joy.

12. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    They are so highly thought of, it makes you wonder why the hell quit making them. What would a new one sell for...$400? $500? With people willing to pony up $2500 for damn fliptop, I think they'd sell enough.

13. Here's a business opportunity for the entrepreneurially minded: Eminence will do custom batches of speakers, I don't recall what the minimum number is, on the order of a hundred or so. You send them the specs, they'll see if they can make 'em, then they'll do them though it'll cost more than their off the shelf stuff. A few cabinet manf's do just that like Jim Bergatino. That line of speakers is exclusively yours.

Would be interesting to see if there's enough of a market for such a boutique application. Certainly a lot of interest here on TB for vintage gear. Weber and Beymer are certainly doing something along those lines.

14. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    If you did that you'd have to negotiate an entirely different deal than the standard Eminence OEM agreement.

The reason there isn't a substitute version of this driver available, one that really nails it, is because all the driver manufacturers of tight-tolerance products are mostly spending their R&D dollars on what works better for higher-powered SR, where there's a lot more product shifted.

15. f64

f64

Oct 31, 2009
    Love JBL 140's. A few years ago I found an old Ampeg B-15N loaded with a 15" JBL 140 (factory option) and can't get enough of it. Friday going to pick up a recently purchased Sunn 215 factory loaded with two 140S's - can't wait.

16. RC52

RC52

Apr 10, 2010
    Laurens, SC
    Wow f64, two SUPER finds? Craigslist ?

17. I believe you. I'm just wondering if there's enough of a niche market to really try and reproduce those old JBLs and Altec's so many of us have come to know and love, seems to me the quest is growing in numbers, but then again I'm not anywhere close enough to all that :meh:

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sounds like a losing proposition to me. If they don't exactly nail the tone in every single way, people are going to whine about them on the internet and they won't sell.

19. no doubt. I wonder how the sales are of those Beyma's that claim to "sound like an E130/E140"? I'm not really serious about this, more of a thought exercise.