1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

JBL K140

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TravTrav, Jun 6, 2011.

1. TravTrav

TravTrav

Jun 6, 2010
    WA
    I just bought an old peavey cab with this speakers in it, and it sounds stellar. They don't make JBL K140's anymore do they?

Anyone know if there are speakers out there that are comparable to the K140?

If no, then how would I go about matching a cabinet to go with the peavey I have now (besides just trying out different cabs, and letting my ears decide)?

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Not for about 30 years. The nearest you'd get to it is the JBL 2226.

3. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Try Ebay, although they won't be cheap.

4. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've searched and searched, and the answer is pretty much no. No one is making a clone, nor is JBL still making instrument speakers. I'm on the search for them too, best bet is to watch the 'Bay and craigslist.

5. TravTrav

TravTrav

Jun 6, 2010
    WA
    Dang it. I was hoping I could find a good match. Thanks for the responses everybody.

Instead of starting another thread, what do you guys would think would be a good 4x10 to match a k140? Are there certain specs I should look for? I know the JBL has a sensitivity of 98db, and freq range of 40-2500Hz. Should I try to match those specs? Or should I do a 2x10 instead, because I hear from others (varying opinions) that 4x10's generally overpower a single 15?

6. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    None. Never mix different drivers. If you can't find another K140 and can't afford the 2226 the Eminence Delta Pro 15 work work reasonably well with it.

7. TravTrav

TravTrav

Jun 6, 2010
    WA
    Why?

EDIT: I also want to add how can I best maximize my volume (I have a 120 watt tube head)? 8x10 or 2 1x15? I understand the whole "well, depends on the efficient speakers are in the cab..." For the sake of comparison, will a highly efficient 8x10 be louder than a pair of highly efficient 1x15s?

8. 1n3

1n3

Sep 13, 2007
    USA
    If you're asking why not mix speakers, that's a perennial topic here... many threads you can read, starting with the amps FAQs. A short answer: because mixing full-range speakers gives unpredictable results.

I'd expect the 810 cab to be a bit louder. "Loudness" is partly a function of tone; it's easier to get loud if you're not trying to generate a lot of low bass. Neither cab you've mentioned is known for huge lows.

A 120w tube head into a ported cab with two K140s is a pretty classic sound. What's lacking for you?

Jwood likes this.
  9. TravTrav

TravTrav

Jun 6, 2010
    WA
    Thanks for the reply.

Nothing, really. I just want to move as much air as possible, because I love the head I have. Hell, for all I know my single cab will be plenty for my purposes. I haven't had a bass in a few years, and the new one is suppose to come tomorrow:hyper:. Can't wait to just shut up, and play.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That's what I'd recommend for the time being ;) At least until you decide if you like the cab as is or not.

11. It would be awesome if they still made K140's. But alas, they do not.

12. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    I think in my experience they are about the same if its Ampeg/Altec Lansing 2 X SVT115"s V Eden LXT 8X10.
    So I dont think the jbl will be far different if anything you may just get more upper mid (on Axis) from the JBL K140 and more low from a big ported eden.
    But I am a heretic so don't listen to me, I am so God Damn perverse I use both at the same time.
    [​IMG]
    I like my Lows & Highs Clean 8X10 and my mid from Phat 15" with ally voice coil caps, no tweeters and little bit filthy please!:hyper::bassist::D

13. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Quite sometime ago I was just about to buy a K140 when the just stopped making them and went to the E Series. As I recall, the K series used Alnico magnet's and JBL had to switch to Ceramic ones for the E Series due to the scarcity of cobalt, which made the E Series heavier. Interesting, because now there having the same problem with Neodymium.

Ric

14. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    The switch industry wide to ceramic was because it was cheaper than alnico. Neo is expensive at the moment, but that issue will change as more mines and manufacturing facilities come on line.

15. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Yup Quite So old chap! Spot of bother with the natives I fear
    down at the old Alnico corp mine in Zaire.
    My old Ampeg/Altec's have the old guaranteed for life 418 series 11 stepped alnico motor then they offered the
    all new 421 ceramic motor which I had in the V4B cab.
    but I kept the SVT115's and am still waiting for them to fail to see if the guarantee still works.:D:bassist:

16. Every time they introduce a new magnet, they tell you how much superior it is to the old one. I'll stick with AlNiCo. Used JBL speakers can be had for $100~150 on Ebay. I just got a mint condition AlNiCo 2205 which is VERY similar to the K140.

Gale

17. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I've been told (although I haven't had the opportunity to try one for myself) that the Beyma 15 is the closest current production driver to the old JBL instrument line.

I'm not going to buy one as long as my old K's & E's continue to work as well as they do. :D

18. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've heard the same thing, but I don't know of anyone who has actually USED the Beymas to comment on their similarities, so for now, I'm sticking with my Ks.

19. AwkwardLoudness

AwkwardLoudness

Jan 11, 2010
    MI USA
    Once in a while, old K140 speakers pop up for sale on eBay, CraigsList, and here on TalkBass. Not cheap though.

20. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I heard much the same story, except that it also mentioned that A.M.C's Wonkavator in Zaire broke?:smug:

Ric