Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

JBL K145

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jondog, Oct 21, 2004.

1. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I just got a pair of PAS subs w/ JBL K145s in them. Modern PA subs have much higher wattage ratings, is it that they are less efficient than these old JBLs, or do today's bands just put out that much more bass? Is it foolish to use these as PA subs when I could take the drivers out and put together a nice bass cab?

2. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

They are rated at 150 watts..be careful...

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

K145's were in the days before the standard 1000 watt bass rig. Don't know what they'll take but do know the factory recones are $200 each - but there are still available. There are cheaper non-factory recones but that would reduce resale substantially. Some pretty desireable 15's you've got there.

4. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I have some old peavey SP2 mains that are rated at 150 watts. They are louder and sound as good if not better than my "500 watt" SP-5s which are about 5 years old.

It seems like something changed in the way we measure watts.

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    That's what I was thinking. Maybe I should take them out and sell them and use the $ to buy modern high power drivers to put in the bins?

6. IMO, leave them alone.

The power rating on a modern driver is the amount of wattage the voice coil will accept before it melts into goo. It does not indicate how much noise the driver will make. Almost all modern drivers will over excurse the cone (exceed Xmax) before hitting their power limit.

The JBL E145 (and I assume K145) are highly engineered drivers. They are very efficient, and quite loud. T/S-wise, the 8 ohm and 16 ohm drivers are pretty different.

7. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    something else you might want to consider. when JBL rates a speaker, they don't screw around with the spec's. They rate it for continuos sine wave wattage. Thats about as abusive a test as there is.

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Jondog - you are right on all counts. The JBL's in the right cab are more efficient than most of the drivers out there today. In a properly vented 4 cu ft box they make a great bass guitar speaker. Look at the JBL Cabaret bin in the used section of Bassnw. Tha is a cab designed froht eK145 and bass guitar. Great sounding cab IMO.

Bands today do seem to pump more low end that speaker was designed long before 5 string basses were popular ...

K145's in decent shape pull between 120 and 150 bucks on the Bay. If you have t orecone, you can go either factory or not factory with the recone kit. I've done both and there is no discernable difference - at all. Period ... Where there can be a huge difference is in the labor involved. The factory kit in the wrong hands is worthless. Choose your reconer carefully.

9. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    OK, here's my application -- one club we play is huge, it holds at least 1000 people, and they have no sound for bands. They have a pumping dj system w/ at least 4 2x18 subs placed around the room.

Our usual system is 2 JBL Eon 1x10s (!) and a Mackie 1x15 powered sub. It works great everywhere we play except this one large venue. (Most other large venues we play provide sound for bands). When we played there last I supplemented our regular system w/ 2 JBL Eon 1x15s. The mains were fine but the Mackie sub just could not fill the room w/ lows. This was especially apparent when we took a break and the dj system got going.

My singer estimated needing 3000W worth of subs to really compete, but he's not going to buy anything. I bought these big PAS bins w/ the JBL K145s because they were a good deal. Should I just try them out and see how they do, or should I get some high power drivers to put in? I will use them w/ a Mackie 1400i power amp. I only play 5 string for 1/2 a set. I use a subharmonic synth but it is not cranked.

Thanks for any advice!

10. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Those speakers are worth a chunk of change in good condition but you - or hardly anybody else - really have any interest in shelling out for recones.

PM sent