Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

JBL MR812 cabinet with walterwoods

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Grooveman, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Does anyone have any experience using this cabinet or the 815 (15" 8oms).
    I like the sound of the 12" but it was sold as a guitar speaker in a box. with the bass it sounds flappy with the low E note. I like it cause its small .
    If you have had any experience with it please comment. I know its an old cabinet.
    alan

2. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Alan...I picked up the 15" cab on ebay about a year ago for $100. It has the JBL M151-8 speaker. You should have the 12" version inside your cab. My opinion is that I did get a good deal. I use it in combo with an Eden 4x10xlt, and it adds an interesting sound to the mix. It's brighter than the Eden, so for my style I don't really care for it alone (traditional blues and jazz). As always, though, what one prefers is subjective. I notice on the JBL website that it's listed in the vintage section. Not sure how old they are, but the info sheet seems to have been written in the early 90s. By the way, I also use a Walter Woods.

Overall, my guess is that if you like the sound of the 12 that you'd like the 15 also. (And I guess you know that the Bag End 15 is also a really light speaker, about 15 pounds lighter than the 15 JBL cab. Just an idea).

Lastly, I noticed that on ebay there is listed for sale in the amps section a JBL M151-8. Just the speaker. Good Luck!

3. The JBL M series are very loud, but do not go very low at all. As per JBL specs, the 15" model is -10dB at 40 Hz.

4. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    My experience would certainly support that. The Eden 4x10xlt clearly has more bottom end. But the 15" JBL does go nicely with the Eden.