1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

JBL PRX535 Powered Speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lo-freq, Apr 18, 2010.

1. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
  2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Be the first on your block to come home [DEL]in[/DEL] with a box (JBL). Let us know how it works out. ;)

3. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I haven't tried that one but I have used the EON with the 10's for small gigs and it sounded great

4. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    OK I'll play.:D I just spent about 15 minutes playing a Lakland skyline 55-02 and a modulus VJ bass through my PRX535. It sounds good although the sound is uncolored. Plenty loud. You need to have the switch in the mic position and I could only turn the gain knob on the PRX to about 9:00 before it was shaking things in my living room. I have also tried playing my basses through a PRX512m and it sounds great as well.

5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    So, if you have an active bass guitar and use the mic level setting, you don't need an outboard preamp to drive one of these to gig levels?

I'd be tempted to use a preamp anyway, but depending on the tone...maybe not.

My band currently doesn't have subs with our PA, so if they do run me through the PA, it is at fairly low levels (i.e. most of the volume still comes from my amp and cab onstage).

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    "It's 1, 2, 3, what are we gigging 4?"
    "Don't ask me, I don't give a d&mn; next stop is 2010 NAMM."

7. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Check the frequency response chart
    http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/support/getfile.aspx?doctype=3&docid=594

And you'll see it matches and exceeds those published by any Bass manufacturer both on the low and high end.

That being said, the PRX535 is 74lbs, and an odd shape. I would think it a little awkward to haul around. If you have one and want to use it for general purpose use like FOH, Keyboard, or Bass it will do all fine. If you want just a Bass cabinet, you don't need such quality high end response.

8. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I bet it would sound flippin' fantastic if you love clean.

9. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    The Vintage jazz bass I used is passive and has a low output and it drove the PRX just fine. I may have turned the JBL up to about 10:30 and it was plenty loud.

10. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Was thinking the same thing, very narrow looking cab, kinda like those TC cabs. But I would definitely use a pre amp with a passive bass.

11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    It will easily fit the back seat of my 2002 Accord 4dr.

6" taller and 36 lbs lighter than my EA CX-310.

+1 -- I like having bass specific circuitry of some type in front of a power section, even if it's just a PJB Bass Buddy (this JBL would look cool with one of those on top).