1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

JBL SRX subs

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by speakermaniac16, Oct 15, 2013.

1. speakermaniac16

speakermaniac16

Apr 30, 2013
    Just want some suggestions on what to get. My first option would be to get 2 MRX 518s on the outside and 1 528s in the middle or just get 1 srx 728 dual 18" and put that in the middle. Out of all of that which option would you guys go with. Of course everything is powered by crown amps. Would that srx 728 be louder than that mrx set-up. Any suggestions help, thanks. :help:

2. speakermaniac16

speakermaniac16

Apr 30, 2013
    **bump** any help would be great

3. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I know the JRX line is the "value" line, not the best components. I played a bunch of concerts this past summer, a couple with VRX and SRX gear.

VRX:

DiamondBar-081413-002_zpse54ca2b4.

DiamondBar-081413-004_zps11435814.

SRX:

Riverside-080713-006_zps48af30c6.

Riverside-080713-030_zps527838c5.

Both systems sounded great but I liked the SRX stuff better. It's more expensive than the JRX gear. But JRX may suit your needs. There are a few on the board here who really talk down the JRX stuff. I gave some of the JRX gear a listen and it was brittle. But I didn't take a close look at their subs.

EDIT: As you can see, for these outside concerts there were subs on both sides of the stage. For inside gigs you might want different placement. The most common location is under the stage in the middle.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I believe you're confused, BassCliff. SRX/STX is JBL's pro equipment line second only to their VRX line. MRX is one step down from that, and the JRX line is at the bottom except for the EON stuff. JRX is not really considered pro-level gear, although some small sound companies may use it. PRX is about the same level as MRX, only with power.

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    To the OP, It's not a good idea to put subs on opposite sides of the stage. This leads to comb filtering and its attendant alternating areas of bass and no bass. So I'd say go with the SRX728 and put it in the middle.

6. Hi.

HUGE +1 to that.

Plus it can make the stage sound very unpleasant, not to mention feedback problems.

Most of us have to make compromises and run the subs separated, but if You can, do use just one or cluster the ones you have if running multiple subs.

Regards
    Sam

7. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

You are correct and I apologize for my confusion. The second set of pictures is indeed SRX gear. The JRX, which I had listened to, did sound inferior. I'll edit my post.

This isn't the only forum where I'll try to help in a thread that's getting no response, say something really stupid, then the experts chime in and give the OP some good information. My work here is done. ;)

BassCliff

8. gareth dunster

gareth dunster

Dec 8, 2009
    I recently played a stage with paired subs on either side of the stage. The low frequency was so extreme I couldn't hear any notes from an almost maxed out swr 4x10 with big mid boost. All I got was a series of earthquakes. It was pretty epic in a way just because of the sheer hugeness of it but still....

9. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Yes, I've noticed this phenomenon. This usually doesn't happen when the soundman is also a musician. ;)

BassCliff

10. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

This gig at Big Canyon Country Club in Newport Beach also had SRX gear, Crown amps, Yamaha mixers, QSC monitors. The crew was very competent.

BigCanyonCC-NewportBeach-083013004_zpsf81085bc.

BigCanyonCC-NewportBeach-083013003_zps40182b24.

BigCanyonCC-NewportBeach-083013060_zps6658f8ce.

This park concert at Playa Vista had really nice QSC gear all around, mains, amps, monitors, but a Yamaha board.

PlayaVista-080413-008_zpsc774b124.

PlayaVista-080413-003_zps30ee1d6d.

Oh gee. Sorry. I'm kind of a picture freak. :rolleyes:

BassCliff

11. speakermaniac16

speakermaniac16

Apr 30, 2013
    Thanks guys, this gives me a better idea of what I want

12. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    For raised stages, the cure for this is to point one centered sub back under the stage and put it 180° out of phase. Seriously.

13. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I believe you. I was thinking about my experiences with a lot of non-musician sound guys who just turn up the low freqs and volume to get more "boom".

BassCliff

14. in my band i have my subs either side and i never have and issue with bass...just tonight i also did sound with a full VRX kit 2xVRX932 and 2 x VRX918 per side) and sounded great. it all has a lot to do with how the setup has been done on your amps and all your crossover points and delays.

im all for having subs per side...

15. Hi.

No, no, and very little (and only if using the delay for cardioid subs or to align a horizontal row of subs).
    Respectively.

None of those have really any impact on the comb filtering caused by separating normal subs.
    Those points mentioned will only help sorting out arrival time differences or time-aligning mismatched PA bins.

Good for You.
    Fortunately from the audience POV, most engineers understand why it's not the preferred way.

Regards
    Sam

16. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Just for grins and giggles, here's an article about The Ranch and its sound system. The owner spent the money and really did it right.

http://theranch.com/assets/pdf/ranch_av_article.pdf

A little about the Meyer equipment used in the club:

http://www.meyersound.com/news/2012/the_ranch/

As you can see, for this venue the subs are in the middle under the stage. We're playing there this weekend. It's a nice gig.

[​IMG]

But for a one night outdoor concert, you can usually get away with splitting the subs to either side. Almost all of the sound companies I work with do it this way. I don't know if they make any special adjustments for phase cancellation or other issues.

BassCliff

17. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    As usual the correct answer is "it depends" All the bigger PA systems with pro sound companies that I have played through always have the subs split. They have the tools and knowledge to make it work.

18. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

+1

I concur. Not every situation will lend itself to perfection so we make compromises, make adjustments, and we do our best. And it's usually more than good enough. ;)

BassCliff

19. gareth dunster

gareth dunster

Dec 8, 2009
    Lets not forget that a big stack at each side does look the part, for what it's worth

20. Outside split subs by 60ft or more, never less or you will get dropouts and blooms. If it has to be less put them all together in the centre. No amount of gear can cure combing bass.