JBSystems (DJ) power amp, is it stupid?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by awesome, Aug 14, 2002.

1. awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    I want to build a cheap bass rig and gradually upgrade it.
    As power amp I was thinking about a JBSystems AX-400. The only reason for considering this amp is it's extremely low price. (half the price of a peavey PV240 and more power)
    But I don't really trust this "DJ"-amp so I would like some comments on this.

What do you think of the rest:
    -Peavey max bass pre-amp (or tech21 RBI)
    -Laney RBC-410-L8 (I was also thinking about some other, more expensive cabs like the Ampeg BSE-410 H, HK BR-410 H and Laney B-410CD.)
    (This would cost me around 1300-1500 Euro)

One more thing about amps. Should the amp have twice the RMS-power of the speaker? (this is done for PA)

Any comment/review is highly appreciated

2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    My advice would be to get a real power amp, such as that Peavey, or something from some other reputable company.

The "DJ" power amp would probably be, in reality, much less powerful than the Peavey. Those "DJ" power amps, I believe, are rated with the same mentality that car stereo systems are rated.
  3. awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    I know it's not going to be great sounding but I just want it to be as cheap as possible without being really bad sounding.
    I do know that if i buy the AX-400, that will be the first thing to upgrade.

I want to buy a new rig now because I'm not satisfied with my current amp's sound (a marshall 150B, 1X15")

Do you think this setup will sound better than my present. (I think it's the 15" I dislike, I like a punchy, well-defined bass-sound)
    (If I can't acheive this with this setup, I'm gonna wait until I have saved a bit more money)

So...should I buy or not?

4. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    Sure, you could definitely try it. Just don't expect a lot of headroom out of the DJ amp.
  5. HannibalSpector

Mar 27, 2002
    I would be reluctant to use the DJ amp for bass because alot of that 'DJ'y' stuff uses switch mode power supply instead of torroidal or iron transformers.
    Switch mode amps have a 'stabby' sounding bottom end. The advantage is they are light, fine for dj setups or hifi but lack the nice low end of a transformer.
    Look at peavey CS800s , crown dc300a or any poweramp with a large transformer 2nd hand , or even phonic max - if you want new stuff.

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Wow, there's that myth again!
  7. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    :D The amp I own has a switched mode power supply and I've got all kind of bottom end! Any QSC power amps that I've heard did not suffer from the lack of bottom end either.
  8. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    well i am by no means an expert on amps but when i think of dj stuff i think of heavy deep bass beats. techno crap... so i would think that a dj amp might suffice although it might not be quite enough for very loud gigs. i'm sure it would be slightly better than your marshall, but then again i am no expert so dont go ripping my head off. and i would recommend trying it out prior to purchasing one! let us know how it fares for you...