Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jcm 8oo BASS?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chris h, Jul 5, 2002.

1. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Just seen a marshall jcm800 amp on ebay and it is a 'bass series' amp, apparently. 4x12 celestion loaded cab. anyone heard of these? what are they like, in your experience? I have e-mailed the owner for info but havent had a reply yet.

Thankyou very much,
    Chris

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Hello Chris I played around with a JCM 800 bass head and 4x12 cab in a shop in Hitchin about 18 months ago.

The JCM 800 series was produced (I think) in the 80's and was superceded by the JCM900 JCM600 JTM (new and reissue) and the current TSL DSL ranges (all valve). Just to make things confusing the 800 has been reissued as the Zakk Wyid head.

OK history over...

I personally found that the system was lacking in headroom and went from clean to distortion bypassing good old fashioned grunt.

I ended up buying a Trace Elliot V4 (original not current versh) and a Hartke TP4x10 which I am happy(ish) with (don't like carrying valve amps).

3. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    So how many watts are we talking? Is the head tube? You mentioned a lack of headroom, but how loud are we talking? loud enough to be heard over a loud guitar and drum kit in the same room?!

Cheers.

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    It is indeed a valve or tube head. I was using a Warwick bass in a sound proofed demo room and I would say that there's not enough headroom for rehearsals if the others are loud.

I would definitely try this before you buy.

Please note that this is all subjective opinion.

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    oops 100w

6. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Thanks. Sounds a bit feeble for such a large amp! Think i will keep looking..

7. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    100w for bass isn't that much. If you can try the amp then do so. Dont just take my word for it.

Hope you find an amp that makes you happy.

8. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    The fave amp at the moment for my purchasing pleasure is the Hartke 3500 head or the 2500, with a 410tp cab. I see that you in fact have the same cab. I already have this set-up but at a soundproof studio room some way away from my house, and would ideally like one at home aswell, especially as I cant really move the other back and forth. I wouldnt mind a second hand one if you are thinking of selling!....

9. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I've sent you a PM