JDV vs. JDI - active vs. passive DI - what's the difference?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Nov 26, 2004.

1. When I'm in the studio, my bass gets DI'd. I just realized that I have a Radial JDI available to me - I've been using my Sansamp BDDI all along. I'm going to try out the Radial on the next recording session.

Question: What's the difference between the active JDV and the passive JDI? If the goal is transparency, is an active DI more transparent than a passive? What are the differences between an active and passive DI?
  2. The Red Menace

The Red Menace

Nov 25, 2004
    In general: Use the JDI for an active bass. Use the JDV for a passive bass. I use the JDI on my high-output active bass and it's about as transparent as it gets. :ninja:
  3. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Bump for this old topic -- I'm about to pull the plug on one of these as well. I'll be using passive basses. I prefer them, and would like to keep the sound of passive pickups. I love the JDI clip on basstasters, and hate having to deal with power supplies if the place doesn't have phantom power.

Would I run into problems (level, pickup loading, etc) if I used a passive box with a passive bass?

One more comment -- I prefer the JDI clip on basstasters to the Avalon U5. Anyone else?
  4. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I prefer the JDI as well - and I used to have an Avalon.

Done. I'm gonna order one of these.
  5. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    How can a DI be passive... ???
  6. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Simply usues an unpowered transformer.