1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

JDV vs. JDI - active vs. passive DI - what's the difference?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Nov 26, 2004.

1. When I'm in the studio, my bass gets DI'd. I just realized that I have a Radial JDI available to me - I've been using my Sansamp BDDI all along. I'm going to try out the Radial on the next recording session.

Question: What's the difference between the active JDV and the passive JDI? If the goal is transparency, is an active DI more transparent than a passive? What are the differences between an active and passive DI?

2. The Red Menace

The Red Menace

Nov 25, 2004
    In general: Use the JDI for an active bass. Use the JDV for a passive bass. I use the JDI on my high-output active bass and it's about as transparent as it gets. :ninja:

3. junglebike

junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Bump for this old topic -- I'm about to pull the plug on one of these as well. I'll be using passive basses. I prefer them, and would like to keep the sound of passive pickups. I love the JDI clip on basstasters, and hate having to deal with power supplies if the place doesn't have phantom power.

Would I run into problems (level, pickup loading, etc) if I used a passive box with a passive bass?

One more comment -- I prefer the JDI clip on basstasters to the Avalon U5. Anyone else?

4. SteveC

SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I prefer the JDI as well - and I used to have an Avalon.

Done. I'm gonna order one of these.

5. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    How can a DI be passive... ???

6. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Simply usues an unpowered transformer.