1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jealous Of Another Band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Low Tone, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Low Tone

Low Tone

Feb 7, 2004
    St. Joseph, MO
    I've been playing with my band for about a year and a half now. We play all original rock/grunge/punk kind of stuff. We played one 20 minute set for a fund raiser back in November and haven't booked a gig since. Mainly because we suck and can't seem to get focused at rehearsals.

Tonight I went up to listen to my neighbor's cover band and they freaking cooked! Of course, they're covering all the old classic rock standards and sound like most other cover bands around here but everything they played was tight. If you closed your eyes, you would honestly think you were listening to a CD. I left there very impressed with what was happening in that garage.

I'm honestly jealous of what he has going on. I would rather have hot needles stuck in my eyes than play in another classic covers band but damn.... They made us sound like sad little wannabes.

I often wonder why I put up with the guys in my band and tonight I'm really wondering. I think right now, I'm sticking it out solely because there are no better options around here for a fat & 40 bass player who wants to play original music. Plus I've invested a lot of time and money to try and make this thing work. I really don't want to see it go down the toilet.

I just don't understand why some guys can just fall into a band and they're out rocking within 3 or 4 months when we're sitting here a year and a half later still trying to put together a half decent set list.

2. basshero1107

basshero1107

Jun 20, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    im in a similar situation. my group of friends at school is split up into 3 bands, mine included. we are the second best, i love the other guys to death but i am so jealous of the attention they get all the time. theyre even paying at Cornerstone!

i told them im killing their bass player and taking his spot. haha. :ninja:

3. Well brother you said it yourself "Mainly because we suck and can't seem to get focused at rehearsals." It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that if you suck, you suck.
    If you want to cook with these same people, try playing a few covers and see how it goes. If you still suck......

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA

It's probably because they have all played those covers (or most of them) before now. All they gotta do to get out there and start playing (AND getting PAID) is brush up on a few details. I've said this a bazillion times, get your band mates to learn some covers and go out and GIG! THEN (and ONLY THEN) you can work in all the originals you want WHILE YOU ARE STILL PLAYING PAYING JOBS!!!!! I will never understand why it's all or nothing with "original" bands. I don't even like to run SOUND for all original bands and I'm getting PAID. Every time I do it's always 3 or 4 bands playing on the same night. WHY?!?!?! Because they know two things at the club. EACH band will have to bring ALL of their friends for the club to make any money (all of the friends and family from ANY ONE of the bands wouldn't do it). And ultimately one of the bands will really suck so you can't leave them up there too long. It's kinda sad really.

I REALLY DO wish you the best of luck. I hope you prove me bad wrong and come back here in the next few months with a really fat wallet and some GREAT songs and tell me where to stick it.

I just hate to see people banging their heads against the wall for no good reason. It's too easy to get out there and start playing (other people's songs) and making money WHILE you are working on your own stuff. CHEERS!

5. Low Tone

Low Tone

Feb 7, 2004
    St. Joseph, MO
    We would probably do better at rehearsals if the drummer and guitarist would quit bickering long enough to play something. If they would give up the beer and Lortabs, it would help a lot too. :scowl:

I did the cover band thing off and on for almost 20 years and I'm tired of playing the same crap that was being played 20 years ago, 30 years ago. I'm tired of doing other people's music.

Plus, to do a decent cover band you need enough material to carry 3 or 4 hours at least. We're talking 50-60 songs minimum. I do not have time to relearn that much old, moldy crap.

Truthfully, I couldn't give a s*** if we made $5.00 from a cut at the door with 5 other bands on the bill. I just want us to get focused with what we're doing and get out of the basement. Playing multi band shows is fine with me because we have about an hour's worth of music. That hour's worth just needs to get better.

That is where I am at right now. If we throw in a couple covers that fit in with the rest of what we're doing, fine but I'm not going to do 4 hours of the same songs the band down the street is playing.

6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.

It all comes down to the players in the band. Some people want to improve and be the best sounding and playing band in their area, while others are contempt with just being in a band and staying mediocre.

7. AHHHH contempt is the problem IMO, beer and pills.... constant fighting......AND you suck??? perhaps content with mediocrity is what this guy meant to say, but contempt is what your band mates demonstrate. I am sorry for you my brother.

8. Low Tone

Low Tone

Feb 7, 2004
    St. Joseph, MO
    Really, when everyone is straight and sober, we don't suck quite so much. We are a long way from where we should be after a year and a half though. I'm getting really tired of almost getting it and then these two **** **** up again. Either the singer/guitarist goes on a bender or the drummer decides to act like an ass to everyone. Meanwhile, I run the MySpace page, the Reverb Nation page, I do all the recording and editing and try to convince these guys to pick it up a notch so we can get out and play. Plus, I'm the singer/guitarist's personal driver since he doesn't have a damn car.

Maybe I should stop pushing and let them sit for awhile.

9. mightypog

mightypog

Apr 21, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    You got the wrong players, bro. It's like a bad marriage, time don't fix it. Bail. I bet you a million bucks there's lots of things you don't know about that are out there for a 40, fat bass player. My best friends are fat, 40ish bass players who flat out smoke and can pick whatever gig they want. You can have all the determination and professionalism in the world, but if the other dudes in your band do not, you can not make that band succeed. Go find people who think like you, and have the fun you deserve to have. IMHO!!!

10. Tehrin Cole

Tehrin Cole

Mar 6, 2009
    Brooklyn,New York
    Endorsing Artist:Kustom Amplifiers
    It sounds to me like,you may want to consider a restructuring of your band!It may sound sort of cold,especially if you're long-time friends of these people,...it's never an easy decision!The jealousy stems from hearing what a dedicated,and totally focused band sounds,and behaves like,...which can be a good thing,because it's showing you,up-close,and personal what it is you need to do!Surround yourself with people who share this kind of integrity,who are willing and able to work hard,....people who are self-motivating,and inspirational.Being 40+,is not a bad thing,...as long as you still have the passion,and the music screams from your soul,this shouldn't present a problem!Keep searching,most of all,...keep playing!It WILL happen,....don't worry! Peace!

11. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    you are going to get judged by the company (players) you keep.

time to scrape this "band" off your shoe.

12. Low Tone

Low Tone

Feb 7, 2004
    St. Joseph, MO
    The hard part of it is, when we're on, I really love the stuff we're doing. The songs kick ass. We just can't play them right. (Sad considering they're our own songs.... :rollno: ) We have moments of absolute brilliance but they all to often get burried under the piles of crap that these two tend to generate. I go back and listen to our practice recordings and think, "holy s***! That was awesome!" Then somebody loses time or misses half a bar and we crash and burn again.

13. Occasional flashes of brilliance amid near-constant turmoil don't cut it. It sounds like you guys should stay straight for a while and concentrate on listening to each other when you play. There's no reason why a small mistake by one of you should cause a major trainwreck...if you're all listening. Or, maybe you should just lose these guys and start from scratch with new people. You mentioned that you don't want to see your investment in time and money go down the crapper. HELLO...unless you guys learn to listen and focus (unlikely) or you replace the other guys, you'll be jamming time and money into the toilet hand over fist!

14. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I am going over to EB and PMing Mrs. Low Tone to tell you to fire this bunch of losers.

1.5 years and they can't get 10 originals straight? :eyebrow:

You are the guitarists personal driver? :eyebrow: Flashes
    of brilliance accompanied by constant trainwrecks?

Do you honestly believe another year in the basement is
    going to fix any of this?

Didn't think so...

15. WalWarrior

WalWarrior Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Maryland Suburbs
    I aways say in any band situation - if you really want to do it, it'll happen. "Really wanting to do it" is a phrase I use that has to apply to all players. If everyone does, then they will personally rehearse on their own time, come to practice ready to go, Not dicking around wasting time. Rehearsals for me are only to go over vocals and song seguays - endings and medlies. Once three - four sets are hammered out, we rehearse the show. Show rehearsal means as if you were out live. After the "Show" is tight you take it out to the people. If you guys are good players ( no mistakes or audible trainwrecks ) you'll get gigs. The audience will see a well rehearsed show and you'll soon get a decent following. Then you'll reherse only to add new tunes and eventually a new "show". The more tunes you have the more shows you can switch. We do "Show A" , roll with that for 2 months. Then Change to "Show B" for another specified period of time. We combine shows, we even do "evenings with" shows. i.e. ( Evening with the music of "The Who" ) Gigging will be rehearsing for the most part.

If the other cats in your band don't "Really want to do it" I'd quit wasting time and find players that do. Unless you are content with hangin' in the Garage or basement jamming on Friday nights and sucking down brews only for your own enjoyment, then just personally rehearse and know that you're the best player in your band.

Best of luck -

D

16. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    That band that sounds tight and awesome outworks your band. It sounds like everyone outworks your band.

17. Low Tone

Low Tone

Feb 7, 2004
    St. Joseph, MO
    Hell.... Complete outworks our band.
    "Hey, Sparky! Hey Sparkeeeee!!"

18. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I like this......lo-tech 'solution'.

Seriously, your situation won't change until you replace one or both of those guys. Personal driver? The choice seems clear now...

I recommend not wasting any more of your valuable time with these/this joker(s). Like minded folks will inspire and encourage you.

19. This is the unfortunate thing about original band or "alternative"

Most forget pop and rock standards are highly arranged by talented people.

I'm sure most alternative and punk dudes would think Social Distortion "Ball and Chain" is too mainstream.

I USED to play this stuff.. it was a nutty chase of "being different" while really wanting to selling tickets and CDs.

It's tons more work to be an excellent original or alternative band - my hats off to anyone who can pull it off.

T.

20. Well a few catch phrases/slogans seem to fit this.

You can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.
    It is impossible to fly with the eagles, when you are surrounded by turkeys. Cut your losses now.