Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jean-François Jenny-Clark

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by olivier, Nov 8, 2004.

1. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Known in France as J-F, he has left a lasting impression among jazz musicians as well as doublebass educators. I just listened to Triple Entente, his last recording in trio with Joachim Kühn and Daniel Humair: this is trio jazz at its highest level ! One of the few instances where the comparison to Bill Evans trios can be sustained. AMG bio on Jean-François Jenny-Clark is empty... maybe a knowlegeable TBDBer will fill that blank ? To me, his name is associated with Don Cherry, Gato Barbieri, Aldo Romano on an live LP which was never released in CD format.

In any case, what other recordings (if any) with Jean-François Jenny-Clark you guys would recommend ?

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Oh man...there was one from awhile back...it was him and another bassist with Martial Solal. Just ridiculous great stuff. One of them, J-F as I recall, did mostly arco, while the other (NHOP maybe?) pizzed. Fuzzy on the details.

Sorry, O....can't remember the title, the album belonged to a friend.

3. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    Theres a great Barre Phillips album on Japo, called "for all it is", I've gone on about it a few times on this forum. It has 4 bassists, including J F Jenny-Clark. The other two are Barry Guy, and I think Palle Daniellson. Stu Martin on drums. Don't know if its easily available, I've got an old vinyl copy, but its a great record.

4. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    I just did a quick google search, and there seem to be a few articles on him in French. Looks like he's worked with Don Cherry, Michel Petrucciani and Stockhausen!

5. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Salut Olivier.
    If I recall correctly, he did an album with trombonist Roswell Rudd, and this was dynamite stuff!

Bonne journée,
    François

6. Another one of those cats that when I see his name i'm flooded with good feelings...and another case of an old cat who's heard so many people that he can't put his thumb right on him. I know my brain has him filed under the 'good guys' along with Eddie.
    Another guy like this , for me, is Junie Booth...( I don't think I spelled his first name right)

7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Joony.

8. Savino

Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    nyc
    The other day as I was trying to escape a crowded L train, a guy offered to help me by grabbing my GK off my shoulder. We walked and talked for a while and he turned out to be Juini Booth. gotta love NYC. J F Jenny Clark is incredible by the way. I highly recommend the Michel Pettruciani recording with JF and Aldo Romano. burning

9. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    You meant was I guess.
    He died on october 6, 1998. (at 44, quite young!)

10. Savino

Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    nyc
    i did, sorry

11. Savino

Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    nyc
    i mean I do.

12. Latmes

Latmes

Oct 22, 2008
    Paris, France
    Hello,

I'm French and I had the great pleasure to see JF Jenny-Clark on stage a few years before his death... he was very impressiver player, he could play in unison fast complicated themes, he made it effortless, and he had an immediately recognizable growl. Although he had graduated in classical at a high level, there are only few records where he plays arco... by the way, his father was American, so he had his name, but he never knew him (dead ?).
    I have the recording with Martial Solal with him and another bassist who is not NHOP, but Gilbert Rovère who had a rather short musician career in France. The music is very arranged/written by Solal, but has some nice moments of improvisation. The way the two basses are combined is very interesting and well done. You can hear in the 2 channels : bow+bow, bow+pizz, pizz+bow, pizz+pizz. The name of the record : "Sans tambour ni trompette" ("without drum nor trumpet", refering to a French expression, when one is doing something quietly, without be heard or seen)

13. Latmes

Latmes

Oct 22, 2008
    Paris, France
    he was 54, in fact

14. neal davis

neal davis

Dec 29, 2006
    toronto canada
    Check this out, crappy video quality at sometimes but great playing

15. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Charlie Haden has a funny story about recording the soundtrack to LAST TANGO....

16. And the story goes something like ????:cool:

17. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    CAVEAT:Not family friendly...

So it's old school film recording -the orchestra is set up below a large screen, conductor is facing the screen and the orchestra, Charlie and Gato are set up off to either side of the orchestra so that they can see the screen, the orchestra and the conductor (since they will basically be improvising to the action). So most of the stuff is going along just fine, but whenever they get to the sex scenes between Brando and Maria, the music would just turn to **** cause all of the cats in the orchestra are straining to look over their shoulders at the screen action....

18. You just got to love the "Arts" :help::D

P.S. Ed, Meant to PM you about book...very cool. I particularly like all of your descriptions, discussion, and explanation. Always great tp provide the "Why" within a learning context

19. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    MANY MANY thanks to Chuck and Mike Zisman for their help in precisely these areas. Chuck was great at making me "splain more" and Mike added so much of his own perspective on point sthat I would bring up.

20. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    JF Jenny-Clark was fantastic. One good LP is the Paul Motion trio on ECM, the other one, Dance is the same band with Izenzon.
    There are some great trio Joachim Kuhn and the Rudd lp mentioned above is by Enrico Rava on ECM. it is fantastic.
    I think I also have a solo bass LP and a duo with drummer.

Speaking of Last Tango, a great bay are drummer Donald Robinson has a bit part in it - walking up the stairs with a saxophone case. He said Brando was REALLY drinking on the set!
    Donald plays in fantastic trio called What We Live with my teacher Lisle Eillis. It is great Jazz-based free improv:
    http://www.emusic.com/artist/What-We-Live-MP3-Download/11749413.html
    Never Was and Trumpets should be within most People's taste around here.