Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jean from Nuclear Rabbit and Element of Surprise

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by evilbrian9, Oct 27, 2002.

1. I picked up the EOS demo a while back and TOTALLY dug what he did on "Flip TheSwitch"! *very* cool playing indeed! we emailed a couple of times and he seemed really nice. back then he was trying to sell a Warrior 9. I wonder if he had any luck...

from the low end,

Stew

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Me too. :( I haven't heard EOS yet, but I'll check them out.

3. yeah, he is really cool. i emailed him too and he jsut talked and talked. hes really cool with fans. he told me all about their songwriting and NR. im pretty sure he got rid of the warrior 9, hes only plays Conklins now.

Favorite Nuclear Rabbit song?

mine is I Sold My Co-Pilot or San Francisco Treat, i learned both of them and still try to get my band to play them....

4. actually I never got to hear NR and now the sound card is dead in our computer, so I'm SOL, there. I heard that they were really different from EOS, constantly trying ot challenge the audience and themselves. Jean's technique is WILD!!

from the low end (also a Conklin guy),

Stew

5. yeah, jean said that Nuclear Rabbit was mostly about disorienting songs and showing off and E:OS is about songwriting that counts. theres always been 2 categories of music for me, stuff i want to play or learn because its cool, and stuff that makes a connection and that i will listen to forever. EOS i the first band ever that i want to listen to the songs and play the basslines and i think that thats very cool.

6. my take on music is pretty weird, as far as the stuff I listen to. there's stuff that I love but never want to learn to play, so it always stays special for me (most of Jaco's stuff, Percy Jones, and a few others) and I can always listen to it with the same feelings as the first time I heard it. then there's stuff that just inspires me to play, but not necessarily to play IT!. then there's the stuff that I just have to play but I won't (unless I'm paid to do otherwise) the way it was first done. for example, I love old Chili Peppers and Brothers Johnson, but I'd never cop Flea's or Louis' licks. but likeIwrote already, I'm sort of weird that way...

:D

from the low end,

Stew

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, jean's a great player. i really like disgruntled temp of the appocalypse - that's a fun song. :)

8. identity crisis is my fave E:OS song.

9. I got a Nuclear Rabbit demo handed to me at a Mr. Bungle show a few years ago and dug the hell out of it. I ended up going to the first show that Jean used his 9-string bass at I believe. He admitted he didn't really know how to use it yet (he had it like 3 days at that point) but he was a damned good bass player already so I didn't mind. I talked to him for a bit and he seemed like a nice guy. I didn't hear much from the band for awhile, and then recently a friend of mine was telling me about this band "Element of Surprise" that he saw that had some guy with a "9-string bass". Turned out he was the same guy from Nuclear Rabbit. I've been meaning to check it out since, thanks for the reminder. Pretty cool from what i've heard while typing this message, seems to be pretty similar to the kind of stuff going around the area (it also sounds like he's not having a problem with that monster 9-string anymore :)...

10. jeaneos

jeaneos

Nov 9, 2002
    sf, ca.
    hey you guys... stop talking about me. ;) hahaha

I still have the warrior. thanks for the compliments.

- jean

11. biting_nails

biting_nails Guest

Sep 10, 2002
    queensland, australia
    is that really you? if so, then i would like to say that i love your music and your bass playing.
    -rock on

12. jeaneos

jeaneos

Nov 9, 2002
    sf, ca.
    hahaha... yeah, it's really me. Stew mentioned this site to me, so I registered.... not sure, how'd I go about "proving" it... hmm, you can send email to eosband.com and I'll write you back.hahaha... thanks again for the compliments on my playing.

If any of you guys are interested, I've recently started writing some stuff for a solo album... probably just 9-string bass w/ no other instruments, (and possibly no overdubs) depending on how interesting I can make the music... so far I have about 8 minutes of music I'm happy with. I'll have info about it at www.jeanbaudin.com (there's nothing there now) when I'm further along.

- jean

13. definitely looking forward to anything that's got solo bass, man! keep us posted!

from the low end,

Stew

14. yeah, rock on jean! when are you guys coming to New Mexico?

15. I just found out today that Element of Surprise broke up. That's too bad, they were doing some real innovative stuff. Hey Jean, if you don't mind me asking, do you have any other projects in mind now that E:OS is no more? That solo cd sounds like a great idea.