Jean Jacques Burnel

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Nov 4, 2000.

1. anyone else like JJ Burnel's playing with The Stranglers? I loved the P-bass with pick + distortion sound he got, especially on The Raven album (Baroque Bordello and Genetix being favourites). (I play fingerstyle only, but still sometimes go for a similar sound).
    La Folie's got great playing on it too, in fact the first four albums have all got great bass tones and playing on them.
    apparently he also played on an album by Fool's Dance when Simon Gallup (another favourite bassist of mine) left to rejoin The Cure.
  2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Absolutely! I love his playing and particularly..."The Raven" album.
    My favorite song "Nice and Sleazy". It is one of the first songs that I began playing, when I started on bass.
  3. bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Im pretty sure JJ Burnel recorded most of his albums using a small guitar amp.
  4. he says he used a Hiwatt 100 valve guitar head into IIRC a 4X12 with a blown speaker or two on the early Stranglers albums, then later used Trace Elliot, and now is with Ashdown.
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Nice thread resurrection about one of my bass heroes!
    One of my favorites. I love playing the bassline to "The Raven", and "Tramp" is another favorite of mine. I also like Jet Black's metronome playing, though his snare sound is often pretty bad. Greenfield is horrible and incredibly sloppy (especially live), but musically he works! Love Cornwell's melodic guitar playing style, too.
  6. Get a Grip On Yourself!!!

That part with the synth solo and the bass being all over... sweet!