Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jean-Luc Ponty

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Petary791, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Is anyone else into these guys? I personally think they're sick! I love the old stuff. The newer stuff isn't so good in my opinion. Their bassist(s) are awesome.

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'm a huge fan of his. I too, like the older stuff, like Open Mind, Civilized Evil, and Enigmatic Ocean. His wife is pretty talented too. She plays in the band at times.

3. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    I have been a huge fan since the early 70's. Great music with really amazing musicians. I must have listened to Imaginary Voyage and A Taste for Passion hundreds of times over the years.

4. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I first heard of him when the Elton John album "Honky Chateau" came out in '72 or '73. Amazing.

5. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    I STRONGLY recommend that you get the 'Rite of Strings' DVD. Jean Luc on violin; Al Dimeola on guitar and Stanley Clarke on upright bass.

Brilliant; simply brilliant.:D

6. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    There is a live album from those early days of the band with Daryl Stuermer on guitar and Ralph Armstrong on bass (I think) that I highly reccommend. Killer fusion stuff.