Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jean's New Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by digidealaybb404, Jun 1, 2005.

1. has anyone else heard of any devlopments on Jean's new basses. like his Joust bass and the hideous claw. becuse i am yet to hear about devolopment in them both.

2. Hey Pittsburgher...the Hideous Claw is on display at Primanti Brothers on the South Side....'n'at...

hello from Australia...

actually there's a thread here somewhere about it...but the beasts are not yet complete.

3. awww. way to get me excited. i first thought the hideous claw was to be seen at one of my favorite restaurants.

but no. you had to ruin it. you know you could have had alot of fun i would have gone down there then come back and been like where was it.

and how do yines guys know about primantis n'at d'awn there is austrailia.

my bad example of a pittsburgh accent online.

4. before moving to Australia in 2001, I lived and worked in Pittsburgh for 15 years. I was born and raised in Lawrence county. I'd trade one of Jean's basses for a Primanti Bro "samich" about now...mmmmmmmmm

5. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    All this talk of samiches is making me hungry.

kl joust - waiting for pickups.
    h. claw - waiting for strings.
    conk11 - waiting for wenge.

thanks for caring.

6. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    How can there be a South Side? :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

7. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    You know this is going to be an incredible bass when the last part to be sourced is the dang strings :eek:

8. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    hahaha... 40" .195 strings don't grow on trees!

9. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    40" .195...... all I can say is: :eek:

Are you having a harder time sourcing the very heavy strings (i.e. that massive .195) or the upper register strings? I'm assuming this is a multi-scale instrument, so at least the thin strings will be a more common scale length that 40".

10. You can probably source the strings from a company that makes strings for pianos.

11. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Piano strings are different from bass and guitar strings- different metals, core and winding gauge choices, and always round core.

12. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    somehow I don't think piano strings are the answer. :eyebrow:

silky, it's just the two lowest / thickest strings that are a problem on the claw. The current ones aren't long enough (they taper around the 3rd fret and have silk wrap extending on to the fingerboard). Ken Lawrence has a super long F# leftover from a 8-string bass he made and it's going to have a higher string on that one, so the KL is covered for strings. The Conklin has a standard bridge so no problems with that one on strings.

btw, I just saw the hideous claw last night for the first time since the frets were hammered in and the inlay cleaned up. The inlay came out way nicer than I thought it would. :hyper: I took some pics but got home and realized I didn't have a flash card in the camera... :rolleyes: Though, I most likely wouldn't of posted the pics so no loss to you guys. :bag: :D

13. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    How about harp strings then? :D j/k

Hey, a little off topic but:
    Jean, for your proposed instructional video, are you planning to work with a company or self-produce it? I remember reading that you'd have to be playing 4 or 5-string basses in it if you were to sell any copies, and I wondered if that was because a production company told you. There really are no extended range instructional videos on the market (even on the Bill Dickens ones, he only plays his sevens during the performance sequences and uses a four for the instruction).

If you were making it yourself, I'd say use extended range instruments throughout-from six up to nine (or eleven if it's done by the time you film)- I imagine you'd have an eager audience of ERB players who'd want to see you play.

If you think about it, the majority of players who know who you are (and thusly would be the ones who would purchase your videos) know you for your extended range work with Nuclear Rabbit and EOS.

14. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    You are truly evil my friend.... :spit:

15. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    bryan,

it will be self-produced and geared toward tapping/touchstyel. the reason the focus will be on the lower string count is because that what the majority of player's out there actually own. I have a mailing list on my website and one of the questions is "do you play bass, if so how many strings?" out of 1000+ responses I can sort them by field in excel and see how many 4/5/6/7/etc. strings - and I can say that about 90% - 95% are in the 4 and 5 category. Although, many do say they'd like to get a 6+ instrument in the future...

Granted, I definitely plan on doing a large section on extended range (6+) and it's benefits with some insight on some common misconceptions and some demonstrations/examples why it's a good thing. But the sad fact is, besides the now discontinued Conklin GT-7, people who are interested in something with more than 6 strings (in most cases even a 6) can't walk into a Guitar Center and buy one. Furthermore, it's a major investment (most of the time) and something that many people are trepid about venturing into.

I'm going to be teaching a masterclass on tapping in Paris next year for the Bazic Organization so a lot of the material I'll be preparing for it will be the same stuff for a dvd, book, website lessons. I'm also talking to Conklin about doing some clinics in select cities around the US - but first things first... finish the damn cd... hahaha.

not by choice.... I am actually "not allowed" to post pictures of the claw (at least not until it's finished and in my hands) for reasons I can't disclose. :ninja: Those reasons may (or not) be clear when the bass in publicly disclosed at which time I will neither confirm or deny such claims. :confused:

16. I'll be there :bassist:

17. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

That man knows were to find the most stunning figured maple i have ever seen.

18. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    making me feel homesick myself. I'm another pittsburgh-ian born and raised before I relocated halfway around the world many many years ago. I'm from Irwin, exit 7 on the PA turnpike. I sure don't miss the snow though, I'll take island weather any day!

19. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Why don't you give S.I.T strings a call?
    Stew uses them on his 10. I don't think 1 extra would be a problem.
    Unless it'll be the same wait lol

20. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Yea, but Stew's 10 is a 34" scale, so his strings are pushing 6" too short, which is Jean's original problem.