Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

JEEP QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dean_CustomJazz, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    I currently own a 95 Jeep cherokee sport, it pretty good condition. 88,202 miles on. auto-4speed absolutely love it!

question 1.: is does anyone know that the standard oil pressure should be at? for the first 10 minutes of driving, its around 50-60 (normal) but after a while, when I accelerate it will stay just below 40, and when im stopped it will sometimes go to 20. I just want to see if this is normal

question 2.: when i let off the gas, it makes a sort of clunking/thud sound. I can feel it rite under the floor panel too. I haven't noticed it to affect driving or acceleration at all, but it just bothers me, and just wanted to know if this was a normal thing.

Thanx in advance, -Rich

2. Mike N!!! Assistance. There you go, buddy. He'll help.

3. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    btw, heres a little somethin somethin ;)

4. 1) The oil pressure drop to 20 is normal at idle, but if it drops below 10 you've got problems.

2) You may have a loose transmission mount, most vehicles have a crossmember that goes across the frame to support the tranny (and transfer case for a 4x4) Check this crossmember as well as the bolts on the rubber mount that's between it and the transmission. The bolts on the crossmember (if it's bolted and not riveted) should be very very tight!! use a BFW (big F** wrench). Also see if the rubber transmission mount looks like it's broken.

Sometimes when you're hard under load and then let off the gas or push in the clutch, the entire driveline (drive shafts, u-joints, etc) may clunk, but on my truck this is only loud when I'm in 4 low.

Good luck.

5. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    (of course its 12:02 here :D ) but i just checked those bolts, there on pretty damn tight, so im going with scenario 2 there. but thanks, i just wanted to make sure those 2 things weren't connected in anyway. thanks a bunch.

6. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    ok, so i checked it out again today in broad daylight. the shaft spins and everything, and when i let off the gas, i notice the transfer case kinda wiggled a bit, i think that was the source of the noise. is this something i should be at all worried about, or is it all set?

7. Check it out if there's any possibilty at all that something may not be kosher. Any problems in the mounts will only get worse--and more expensive.

8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Nashvillebill pretty much nailed it, there isnt a whole lot more here that I can add. I have noticed that stick shift vehicles can be a lot more abrupt when de-accelerating, because they are locked directly to the crankshaft, they dont have a torque converter to take up the harshness of de-acceleration. Like Bill suggested, look at everything under there and check/tighten the mounts/crossmember etc......

Also make sure your u-joints are tight, and take a look at the rear springs/u-bolts/shackle bolts etc for any troubles.

Where the oil pressure is concerned, a good rule of thumb is you need 10psi for every thousand rpm. If youre turning 4000 rpm (which I doubt) 40 psi is enough. At idle, (750 ish) 10 psi is enough. The fact you have 20 at idle and 40 when accelerating makes me believe all is well.