Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jeep Wrangler Opnions?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by .-.LeX.-., Apr 29, 2003.

1. im looking into buying a first car, as a young teen who spent all his money on basses and amps and such, i have a limit.... i estimate, i could due for about 2500-3000 $$$.

im looking into jeep wranglers, ( and cheerokees ).

for anybody who has the wrangler... how are they in the winter time? and what are some pro's and con's conserning the car.

thanks

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Last thing we need is another SUV driver.

People should have to be trained to drive those things... they are too dangerous.

My advice: Just get a truck with an extended cab. People space, and gear space.

3. I think Jeeps are excellent vehicles. I find that a wrangler can out steer most small compact cars at low speeds and can parallel park like a dream. I have an uncle that builds custom wranglers and I might end up selling my mustang to have him build me one. The only problem I might see you having is finding a jeep in the $2500-$3000 range that is in acceptable condition but great deals do come up so keep your eyes peeled, and don't be afraid to have your mechanic inspect it before you buy.

Good luck!

4. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    I drive a Jeep Cherokee - best vehicle I've ever owned. I got it because it has a bulletproof drivetrain, is extremely reliable, and is considered by most to be one of the best 4x4 vehicles ever created (I'm not exagerating, go check some reviews). Also, I like it's small size - if you look, a Jeep Cherokee is one of the smaller SUV's on the market (well, was, seeing as they aren't made anymore) and that's because it's made to go offroad, rather than the huge mall yachts that are basically glorified minivans. It's great in the winter - we had a real doosey of a winter where I live and I only needed to use four wheel drive once because it's so sure-footed in the snow - it seems like it has the perfect wheelbase to keep it from sliding around too much. If you go check reviews, you'll see that other owners will agree with me.

On the other hand, the Wrangler shares much of the Cherokee's powertrain (which is a plus), however from reviews that I've read, Wranglers are pretty poor in the snow because of their short wheelbase. They're great offroad though. Also note that, since they're made to be worked on and field repairable, you have to buy things like a hood-lock and a hardtop to keep them secure from thieves. But in saying that, take it with a grain of salt because I've never driven a Wrangler.

Anyways, I'd go test drive some Jeeps - they're great vehicles. I won't lie to you though, like any other manufacturer on the market Jeep seems to have some pretty bad lemons out there as well. Just try before you buy. If you DO decide to get a 4x4...take some advice from the comment above and DO learn how to properly use four wheel drive. Seriously, I've seen more Ford Explorers and Chevy Surburbans in the ditch than probably any other vehicle because people tend to think that if you put it in four wheel drive that you can go just as fast as you want, no matter what the conditions.

Good luck in your search. Another plus that I just thought of - Jeeps have very low resale values, so you can probably pick up an older one fairly cheap (just plan on driving it until it dies though, because that same low resale value wouldn't do you any good if you decided to sell it).

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    why did you pick the jeep?

is it because you want to go off road? if so - get a suzuki samurai instead. true lock diff, solid axles, small...and cheap! i think they look pretty hard core too.

storage space? i'd recommend a wagon over an suv just for a lower load height and more maneuverability. for 3k you could pick up an early 90's turbo legacy. mmmmm...subaru turbo...

all wheel drive? again, i'd recommend a 4wd car over an suv just because i personally find having the weight lower is better in the snow, plus you'd have less weight to stop and are therefore less likely to skid. some ones to look at would be subarus, mazdas, toyotas, mitsubishis, hondas (i'm strangely lusting after an early 90's civic wagon 4wd to drop an integra motor into), hell even an AMC eagle would be better in the snow.

looks? you like what you like - can't change that.

if you want something badass and awd, i'd get a real early Mitsubishi Eclipse/Eagle Talon/Plymouth Laser GSX with the 200hp turbo 4G63 engine and awd, or the turbo legacy sport wagon, or a mazda 323gtx if you can find one. if being badass is secondary to safety and haulability, i'd do the honda wagon.

but what do i know? i drive a 90 nissan 240sx hatch. rear wheel drive, light, performance tires...and with me being what i consider a considerably above average driver skill wise i had NO problems this winter. it's got nice brakes, a decent engine with enough power to get it moving but not enough to get me in too much trouble (that will get remedied soon though ;) I/H/E/cam/ecu should fix my lack of power) and the hatch can actually hold an upright bass or all my bass gear minus my goliath senior. they're pretty cheap and super fun to drive.

6. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Is this addressed to me or to the starter of the thread? I'll reply anyways so that I can put my opinions down ;) .

As far as offroading goes, a Jeep Cherokee or Wrangler has better specs overall than a Suzuki (more power, better drivetrain, torque at lower RPM's, etc.). In saying that though, I've seen some really awesome modified Suzuki's. Also, I don't know why you're talking about a Suzuki having solid axles, seeing as everything made by Jeep except the Jeep Liberty (which we're not talking about here) has solid axles. Also note that you can get locking differentials in a Wrangler Rubicon (though that's out of this guy's price range - but from what I've seen, locking diffs are an option on Sami's anyway and not standard), or you can get limited slip diffs on a Jeep Cherokee or Wrangler. Also, my Jeep is right around 3100 lbs. which is lighter than most cars even.

I would agree though that if you don't plan to use or don't need four wheel drive, go for a wagon. I was actually looking for Subaru Forester's before I found my Jeep (and before I found out how much fun offroading is). Subaru's are awesome vehicles.

I picked the Jeep because of what it is - a landmark vehicle that sets the standard for...as their slogan states..."go anywhere, do anything." Sure, you might say to get a Land Rover then, but if you check the overall opinions and ratings of those you'll see that all of them except for those manufacturered in the last couple years are horrible quality control wise. They just aren't reliable. Very cool vehicles when they are working though.

I guess it just comes down to what you need the vehicle for. If you never plan to offroad and if you like driving your vehicle like a sports car, then get a AWD wagon or car. If you do need the off road potential or you need a heavier duty vehicle that can be worked on with simple hand tools, and also don't plan on driving it like a sports car (though interestingly a Jeep with the 4.0 I6 has much more power than most of the stock econo "sports cars" such as suped up Civics and even Mitsubishi Eclipse's, not to mention the V8 Jeeps - though you can't get a Cherokee with a V8), then take a look at a Jeep.

7. Greg R

Greg R

Mar 11, 2003
    Avonmore, ON
    ?? I beg to differ(ential). This one has proven itself year after year since the early 70's. My only experience with Jeeps (especially Cherokees) is they rust out pretty quick. Of course, anybody who cares about their vehicle will get it undercoated every fall before the salt hits the road. Attached is a pic from last year.

8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York

9. Hmm. My guitarist has a Jeep Cherokee. Best vehicle for a band member. Decent power w/ the 4.0L 6. Enough space for 3 guitars in cases, 4x12 and Mesa head in ATA cases, pedal board, 2x12 combo amp. Plus 2 people.

Maybe a suitable wagon would work also.

BTW, my 94 Lincoln Mark VIII hauls my 1x15, 2 2x10's, 2 basses in hard cases, 6space SKB case (preamp, power, poweramp) and pedal board w/ minimal fuss. It's a semi large american V8 powered coupe (32v 4.6L Mod motor, 280hp 290ft-lbs). But only room for one person then. That's why we've bought a trailer to haul all the PA, Drums, Lights, Amps, Cabs...etc.

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That was then, this is now;)

I'm pretty sure he's referring to more recent Land Rovers and I've read similar reports and have several friends who have them but,like BMW owners, would like to keep them out of the shop a bit more.

11. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Thanks for clairfying for me there Brad, as that is indeed what I meant.

12. Greg R

Greg R

Mar 11, 2003
    Avonmore, ON
    Cool. We're on the same page then. I was concerned someone might be knocking one of the most hardcore vehicles ever built. I do agree with the opinion that the newer Land Rovers are unreliable. White Knight just made it sound like the only the new ones were solid. Bear in mind the new ones like all modern SUV's are built for creature comforts and drivability on pavement. I would not take my Rover to work every day. My spine couldn't handle it.

Cheers.

13. Greg R

Greg R

Mar 11, 2003
    Avonmore, ON
    I think I got derailed in this thread. The kid's looking to buy a vehicle and he knows what kind of budget he's got. It would be nice to find the vehicle you really want in that price range, but IMHO I would snag an early 90's Caravan. There are so many of them out there that parts are easily available and cheap. Some advice though : if you get one with the 3.1 liter V6, install a tow-package grade transmission cooler. Those vans spit trannies. The 3.3 L doesn't seem to be as prone, however transmissions for that engine are a little harder to find as they stopped making that engine several years ago. You can get a lot of gear in those. Insurance will be cheaper and gas mileage better than a 4.0 Jeep. Unless you are willing to do some work yourself, repairs to 4x4's can get pretty crazy price-wise. Do not get an Aerostar or Astro as in NJ you must see some snow once in awhile. Up here where I live those vans have a tough time in the winter and their owners have to keep sandbags in the back to get some traction.

All things being said though, I hope you find something you're happy with. Your first car should be looked back at fondly when you're older. Not a piece of time-in-hell and a period you wish you could black out.

14. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Chrysler didnt offer a 3.1, GM did. I think youre referring to the 3.0(which is actually a Mitsubishi engine). I would personally avoid that engine, if possible.

As far as the transmission problems, its the overdrive tranny's that were trouble. That tranny was/is available behind either the 3.0 and the 3.3 V6. You shouldnt have any trouble finding one of those tranny's if you need one, Chrysler built millions of them........theyre everywhere(kinda like a smallblock Chevy).

The 3.3 is alive and well, still offered in Chrysler minivans.

Astro's and Aerostar's were offered in all wheel drive, which should help in the winter.

15. Greg R

Greg R

Mar 11, 2003
    Avonmore, ON
    You are correct sir. Posting after night shift, my bad. I got it backwards.. it's the 3.0 that they stopped making? I've got a 3.3 and 215,000 miles on it with no drivetrain problems yet. I tested a new Caravan LX with a 3.8 and it drove like a dream. Anybody have an opinion on that motor?

16. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York

17. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    or you could get a stick, turbo minivan!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:ninja:

18. Oh man, that is nasty. Now if i could rig up a turbo config in my full size van....:D
    [​IMG]

19. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    my rig

[​IMG]

20. thanks evreybody for the responses..... im really starting to dig the Wranglers, they're sexy, good summer car, has some space in the back, offroad , 4x4. mmmhmmmmm

i'm looking toward the Jeep Wrangler : Rio Grande ,they look good.

[​IMG]