1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jeez looweez, why can't I figure out these harmonies?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Toronto Bassist, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Toronto Bassist

Toronto Bassist

Jan 9, 2008
    Toronto
    I think I'm so used to figuring out single-note basslines that figuring out even a two part harmony is throwing me for a loop. Here it is:

http://www.vaughn-s.net/choral.mp3

Now, I think I'm hearing Ab and Db for the first two notes, and then Db and Fb for the second two notes, but this is driving me up the wall because as soon as I think it's one thing, it sounds like another. At first it sounded to me like Ab and Db going to Db (an octave lower) and Ab. So who wants to take a moment and set me straight?

2. i'm hearing a Ab to a E but that whole thing right there is throwing me for a loop, it might help to know what key its in and listen to more parts but yeah! i'm not gettin that

3. Toronto Bassist

Toronto Bassist

Jan 9, 2008
    Toronto
    The whole end section goes from C#m to B G#m, so I'm guessing the overall tonality is Db/C# minor. Transcribing the rest of the piece was a bear because it's also in 7/8.

4. RhythmRhyck

RhythmRhyck

Mar 21, 2010
    The first time I played it the drum intro scared me and made me cry but I got over it. I'm not in my studio right now but what might help would be to find it on a keyboard vs. a fret board. That's the way I would work it out. I definitely hear a shared tone between both chords. This, of course, is a fragment. What is the larger piece?

5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Both chords are the same: C# minor. The only difference is the voicing:

Choral.jpg
    (Meter is a guessing)

Just in case, don't forget that both tenor 1 and 2 sound one octave lower than written. Click here to hear the MIDI file for that transcription.

Hope this Helps.

6. Toronto Bassist

Toronto Bassist

Jan 9, 2008
    Toronto
    The entire larger piece is thus:

http://www.vaughn-s.net/wow_main_theme.mp3

If you're a real nerd, you'll recognize it as the theme to world of warcraft. I can scan the transcription I've done of it so far, but I don't really expect anyone to go through the hassle of checking the whole thing.

7. Toronto Bassist

Toronto Bassist

Jan 9, 2008
    Toronto
    Wow, that's really cool, thanks! Heh, I was even going to post something along the lines of "I'm not even sure if there's more than two parts to the harmony" :p As to the previous post, I wish I had a keyboard to help with this kind of thing, but alas I'm stuck with guitar for now.

edit: at least I was right that the chord stayed the same, but the voicing changed :meh:

8. RhythmRhyck

RhythmRhyck

Mar 21, 2010
    WOW! That's exciting stuff. If it's not too much trouble, I would like to see your transcription. I'm just coming back into music after being away for over 30 years ... would be nice to see some ideas for projects.

9. Toronto Bassist

Toronto Bassist

Jan 9, 2008
    Toronto
    Ok, here's what I've been able to come up with, although it suffers from numerous deficiencies, like changing from sharps to flats near the end, forgetting about the double staves, and there's probably a ton of erronneous rhythms in the "Ab" part - oh, and the 8va markings are all wrong I think. Anyways:

wow1.jpg

wow2.jpg

10. Toronto Bassist

Toronto Bassist

Jan 9, 2008
    Toronto
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020