Jeez what a bad night!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by wotnwhy, Dec 13, 2002.

1. last night me and my band had a 6th form party gig, it was one of the worst nights of my life!

1st. the person taking us to the gig got really ill and had to go to hospital, leaving us with no way to get our gear to the gig. but after lots of phone calls we manage to get some lifts there

2nd. the 2 lifts we got were from people with very small cars, we got the drum kit, one of the guitarists amp and the drummer and 1 guitarist in the 1st car. we then had to squeeze me, the other guitarist, both our amps and guitars, and a PA in this other car, unfortunatly i wasn't watching when they put the stuff in the car and they put the mixing desk on top of my amp, bending all the knobs!

3rd. when we got there half an hour late the DJ had taken up the whole stage and we had to set up right in the corner, about as far away from the dancefloor as you could get!

4th. the place was crap acoustics wise, resulting in lots of eccos (sp?), one of the PA speakers wasn't working, leaving us with just one, and our one monitor was playing up and when it was working the sound was really distorted. because of the way we had to be set out all the drummer could hear was my bass, all i could hear was the drummer, and the guitarists couln't hear us, as you can guess the sound was absolutely terrible, but after about an hour of fiddling we got things sounding pretty much OK.

5th. we got on stage to do our first song, and i must say, that it was the worst noise i'd ever heard! one guitarist was a step ahead of me, the ather one was a step behind, and i couldn't for the life of me work out what the drummer was doing, i stoped the song before people started walking out, appologised (sp?) to the crowd and we went for it again, unfortunatly after that about a 3rd of the people that had got up went and sat down.

6th. thankfully after that we started playing properly, but after our 3rd song the head boy came up to us and told us to stop playing because people were complaining (about 90% of the crowd were "townies" and wern't into this sort of music). despite the fact that our loyal fans, the head girl, the manager and the DJ said it would be best to let us play for a while longer he still made us get off stage. and the worst thing is there was a large cheer as we got off stage (soul destroying, i tell you)

7th. there were several fights after we got off stage between our fans and the "townies" and several people were quite badly hurt, and thats the last thing we wanted.

8th. our lift home left without us and we had to walk 5 miles home with bags and instruments (the rest of the stuf was being picked up in the morning)

sorry to ramble on but it was such a horrible night and i needed to let it out

2. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    woah..... that REALLY sucks, man. Sorry to hear it!
  3. kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    wow, that would suck, i dunno if i could take that
  4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Damn, and I thought I had tough nights gigging... I have learned that a big PA with a pro sound man can make or break a band. If you play hard rock, almost any band will sound bad without the right artilery. I am a bit confused on your stage mix though, the way you make it sound, nobody could hear all.
  5. arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    sorry man just hope my gig tongight isn't that bad
  6. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    dang. sounds like the worse gig I've heard of in a long time.... sorry about the bad crowd too. nothing worse than that..
  7. Dude, you have paid your dues. *Wipes tears from eyes*
  8. how often do you hear of gigs that go according to plan, and when your rocking up the airwaves and doing interviews you will always talk about the good old days when the gigs went terrible but you got to play anyway so it made you happy. just a different look on it:p
  9. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Doesn't sound like there was any happiness involved in that gig.... I feel bad for them, with what they had for a PA, I am sure it didn't sound too hot, not of the fault of their own. I've heard really bad bands sound good with a great PA, and have also heard really great bands sound bad with a bad PA. Problem is, your average party goer, music fan, or regular idiot cannot distinguish the difference...if the band sounds bad, they assume it is just a bad band. Keep your chin up, I did some pretty horrible gigs in my younger days too, it only takes one great show to make all the bad ones seem worth it.
  10. Ah, one for the memories. Compared to that gig from h*ll the rest should sound great!

Dunno if I would agree with stopping a song in the middle, maybe cut to a fast ending and claim a "technical problem" to give you a chance to regroup.

If the mix gets really really bad and nobody else is playing right, that's the time to crank the old volume way up, the heck with the mix and the sound man and the other guys, just play loud (and on time) and let the drummer lock in on you. At least half the band will be OK. Or at least that's my opinion.:D
  11. MadDog1430

Dec 17, 2002
    I Feel for you man, our last gig was at a high school football game halftime show. Well, heres the list of things that went horribly wrong.

1) The bass setup we had for me had a whole in the speaker of one of the two amps we "glued" together. So it created rattle. They plugged me into the P.A. (very bad tone)

2) We didn't get the chance to have a sound check so our levels were off

3) It was the windiest day of the year and 3 times during our 3 song set the drummers cymbals fell over and the wind created horrible feedback in the mics.

4) Our team lost. We got booed.

But anyways it was a pretty bad feeling. Just keep your head up though and things will stay high
  12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  13. Good lord, that sounds horrible. I've never heard of a gig that bad. What a strange stroke of bad luck. Maybe you did something bad before that gave you this bad karma?
  14. actually our drummer was pretty down in the dumps beforehand, he wouldn't tell us what was up but he was sitting on his own and being very quiet and secluded before the gig, and i think it rubbed off on us all a bit.

but hey, despite everything, we still got offers for a few more gigs, and we got lots of simpathy from our fans, and i've got some simpathy from you lot, so i feel a bit better now :D

and in a way this gig really helped the band get back together. and the guitarist are finally gonna start taking the jams more seriosly.
    click here to see what i'm on about

as they say, every cloud has a silver lining ;)

15. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Any bad Vibe, any Bad Karma, or Voodoo curse must by now be lifted after a night like that.

Your gigs will always be different, IE: no 2 are alike, but after some experience, you can at least control/adapt most aspects of it.

But keep pluggin' away at it. You shouldn't have any "Karma debt" left at this point.
  16. I dunno about bad gigs - i never seem to have too many these days, but this week has been hell......

(here comes a rant after getting home from the gig)

Well i've just finished my 3rd gig in the three nights....... Thats one in Blackpool, one in Liverpool and one in Burnley (tonight) - as well as working all week as per usual. If you don't know England, then that equates to working 9-5 all week, As well as setting off from work at 2.00pm on wednesday (i came in two hours early and didn't have a lunch break to get away in time) getting to the gig at 6 to setup (corporate gig), playing gig, packing down and getting home in the van at 3.30am.....

Gig number 2 involved waking at 7 for work the next day and working till 4 (begged off an hour by coming in early and taking shorter lunch) then getting to Liverpool for 7.30, setting up, going onstage at 11.15pm, finishing off, packing down and getting home for 4am.....

And today - a full 9-5 (finally !) at work, setting off straight after and following the same routine as thursday night, only i'm home early because the sound guy they hired was a fecking nutter and was just pumping brown noise out of the PA, resulting in the manager telling us to finish at halftime because ofthe guy. Luckily were still getting our full quota of pay and a glowing report to our agent (we did rock out tonight - the monitor mix was ok, so i just presumed the crowd were crap - but they must have thought we were the worst band ever)

I swear we;ve been cursed by Burnley though - last time we were gigging in that venue we'd been double booked and the manager refused to pay us....

On the plus side, the cash from the last three nights is gonna pay for my new amp (Laney RBH800) as my current one (Hartke BA2000) is giving up the ghost.

I don't usually whinge, but its 2am - i've had 8 hours sleep in the last 50 or so hours, and i'm so wired on caffeine i can't sleep.

And to top it off, groupies are allergic to me.
  17. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    What's a Head Boy???
  18. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I'm more interested in the "Head Girl" though ;)
  19. um... i don't know much about american schools so i can't use anything as a comparison.

a head boy is the main prefect, which basically means that he makes decisions on behalf of the rest of the pupils, and does things like organise parties.

from what i know i think the american equivilant is class principle

20. jamesw

Sep 6, 2002
    Aside from the exact year, I remember it well.

We were the second band in a battle of the bands
    at the UW-Madison student union (a b-o-b is bad
    enough, I know).
    We had played our set, and seemed to be doing
    okay points-wise, if audience reaction is any
    During the last song of the set, I noticed that our
    soundman had left the mixing console (probably to
    get his girlfriend a beer).

Then it struck.

For a solid minute, maybe longer (it felt *much*
    longer), there was the loudest blast of feedback
    that I have ever encountered.
    By the time our soundman made it back to the
    console, half the audience had left. After a brief
    and frantic struggle at the console, he shut down
    the entire PA system, to no avail.

The culprit? Our keyboardist's Leslie speaker.

At that point, we just packed up and went home.