Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jeff Ament's influences

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by relman, Jul 11, 2001.

1. does anyone know who influenced him in bass/songwriting?

2. Traveler

Traveler

Jun 26, 2001
    Greenwood, AR.
    Jeff was a huge beatles fan, and was influenced mainly by Paul McCartney. His all time favorite band, though, and who influenced him the most as a group was Pink Floyd.

3. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I think he listens to Mick Karn..

4. interesting, same bands i like...

F*CKING A!!!!!!!!!

5. The band as a whole, Ament included, were also highly influenced by Hendrix, the Who and the Doors.
    Jim

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    they were also influenced by kings x and rush.

7. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    ...Jeff once said on the radio that he felt that Kings X invented Grunge...

What is it with King's X influencing 3/4 of the world's musicians, from Robert Palmer to Anthrax, and still not selling any records????? There is no justice...

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

8. Thanks guys, I better check that band out.

I already knew that PJ was influenced by hendrix, the who and the doors. There's a couple really good doors covers where eddie sings w/manzarek, krieger and densmore.

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i hear ya, man. i don't get it either. they deserve better PR than they get.

10. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    Actually, Dinosaur Jr invented grungr. Thier "Bug" album is superb, far superior to anything by Nirvana or Mudhoney. And it's around 4 years before Nirvana.

And I never really thought Pearl Jam to be a grunge band anyway, they're quite unashamedly straight-ahead populist rock.

11. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    *bzzzt!* i'm sorry, that observation is incorrect ...:rolleyes:

12. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    Is it really? Listening to the "Ten" album I heard much more in common with Guns n Roses than with Nirvana...

...Their band structure (vocals, bass, rhythm guitar, lead guitar, drums) is very generic rock stuff, their song structure (intro/chorus/verse/chorus/virtuoso guitar solo/chorus) is as well.

Eddie Vedder's voice has a raspy-baritone quality to it, but he can still pull out the occaisonal ballad (black, better man).

Like I said, compare Dinosaur Jr's "Bug" album to PJ, PJ doesn't come off very "grungy" (for want of a better word) at all to me.

13. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    just what *is* grunge, anyway ?

14. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Well, it's a moot point really, but Bug and the first Kings X album, out of the silent planet came out in the same year. However, Kings X had been touring for a while before that came out (and with a far heavier sound than they managed to capture on record until Dogman) and had caught to ear of many of the bands who then went on to reinvent heavy music in the late 80s...

Dinosaur Jr always seemed to me to be a melodic hardcore band (in the american Husker Du, Big Black, Black Flag sense, rather than the UKHC of Napalm Death and Extreme noise Terror!)

Defining grunge in terms of music is a little tricky, other than to say that there were certain elements that all the bands associated with it seemed to have in common - a lot of detuned heavy guitars, melody, moments of pure noise, angsty lyrics a million miles from the sword and sorcery of most heavy music at the time and dysfunctional backgrounds. It was what one journalist described as 'what happens when the children of divorce pick up guitars'...

For a fairly interesting take on Pearl Jam, have a read of the cover story in the current issue of Spin magazine. I can't see the comparison with G 'n' R myself - certainly ideologically, PJs whole vibe was miles from the LA cock rock scene... at least, as far as I can tell...

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i agree - i remember when i first heard d.jr. i thought that it was bob mould.

16. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    As a general rule "grunge" is a combination of 70s punk and 70s rock.

Of course that's not the be-all and end-all.

But I always found the two most oft-cited "grunge" bands, PJ and Nirvana, not to be that grungy at all.

PJ is straight-ahead rocky, whereas nirvana is very punky. (angry, power chords, lots of white noise etc).

dinosaur jr, Alice In Chains, Mudhoney, Butthole surfers coming in the middle, are the most "grungy", IMO

And I think it's quite significant that PJ kept a rhythm guitrist and stayed with the 2-minute long solos.

See, one of the main characteristics of "grunge", IMO, is a much greater emphasis in the rhythm section than allowed by the rest of 80s rock music. Dinosaur jr, and others, did this by cutting down to one guitar and simplifying and shortening solos.

PJ did not. They kept the virtuoso solos and riffs that people like Kurt Cobain rejected as part of grunge ideeology. granted, PJ was definately a million miles away from glam idealogically, but musically, I don't see that they have that much in common with the rest of the grunge bands. Like I said, instead of punk + rock, they placed a huge emphasis on the rock aspect. Which is why I think of them as a straight ahead rock band as opposed to a grunge band.

17. Pearl Jam is true rock

18. Traveler

Traveler

Jun 26, 2001
    Greenwood, AR.
    Heh, sorry if I have been out a while. Long weekend. You all understand.

The definition of grunge is really all in the eyes of the beholder. Some say that dark and future foreboding music is grunge. Therefore, by that definition, Korn would be grunge. Some say that detuned guitars and distortion is grunge. Then Metallica would be grunge. I really dont see Pearl Jam as being "grunge", if you consider that Nirvana and Soundgarden are grunge. Pearl Jam is grunge, but they are much different from "contemporary" grunge. They are more melodic, more mellow, and more electric than Nirvana and Soundgarden. But they are still grunge. This is my opinion.

And i hardly consider Pearl Jam to be anything like GnR, and consider it almost an insult to even use Pearl Jam and punk rock in the same sentence. They are not straightforward intro/chorus/verse/chorus/solo/chourus. They throw in all kinds of bridges, especially in their later albums and live.

And nobody invented grunge.

19. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    well said, man. although i agree with hazey on some accounts, Pearl Jam are predominantly "rocky"... they're style is too sophisticated and mature (check the subject matter on some of their songs) to be deemed grunge, let ALONE punk ! that's a travesty.

20. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    mm-hmm. "Jeremy"...