Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jeff Beck, bassist seems to have groove

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by red-hot-bassist, Apr 15, 2002.

1. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    since I picked up the guitar about 5 months ago I also started picking up some guitar literature and kepts hearing (and reading) the name Jeff Beck.
    I assumed he was a soloist and wasn't to interested. But after browsing through a great second hand record store in the Town, i found Wired, for £3. On it was a cover of the Mingus goodbye pork pie hat. So I was sold, wanting to hear this guy's cover of the Mingus. I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the track, but what really struck me about the record was the bassist on all the other tracks. VERY GOOD!! I can't remeber the guy's name and I dont think I hav eherad of him before, so I am comming to the world on bass to ask all you genius guys for your opinions on the bassist and indeed for a little info on him.

Thanks a bunch

Linsay
    x

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I still like Blow By Blow 'better'... ;)

When I first bought Wired(like the day it was released), I was miffed that Beck didn't use Phil Chen again(the bassist on BBB)...& Bailey's participation on Wired was a lot less than I had hoped.

Anyway-
    Bascomb is a big-time groover. I believe he's also played with some Top-40 R&B acts of that era(Grey & Hanks?). Bass Player mag had an article on him about 3-4 years ago(?).

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    "Beck, Bogert, and Appice" is another good one. More straight-up rock than Blow by Blow and Wired. Tim Bogert kicks ass.

5. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Who are the players (besides Jeff of course)
    on the album called "The Jeff Beck Group" -1972
    I think.
    "Ice Cream Cakes", "Going Down", "Glad All Over",
    "Sugarcane", .....

This things is classic- It sounds as good as ever-
    30(!!) years later- Check it out!

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Check my link for a complete(?) band history.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Larry-
    The Jeff Beck Group on that "orange" album & its 'companion' album, Rough & Ready-

Jeff Beck-guitar
    Clive Chaman-bass
    Cozy Powell-drums
    Max Middleton-keys
    Bob Tench-vocals

...they don't make "Rock" bands like that anymore. ;)

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I always dug Beck's choices in bass players...even Ronnie Wood's overplaying on the first two Beck albums:D Clive Chaman was one of my favorites, because of his motown style. Clive was also in one of Brian Augers bands that had Alex Ligertwood on vocals & Lenny White on drums....it was on Warner bros and being the corporate pricks they are won't release it/end of rant

9. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Muchos Gracias for that listing-
    Amazing how goods that stuff sounds-
    I guess like anything else, classic lines, good clean taste....timeless!:D

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Jerry-
    I agree. And the knock on Tench was that he wasn't really a "Hard Rock" singer...he was more on the R&B side of the fence. Max Middleton was sorta 'jazzy', Powell(RIP) was Powell...
    I recall doing "Got The Feel'n" from Rough & Ready back in High School...very nice chords over the chorus.

Alex Ligertwood gets around...wasn't he also in one of Santana's bands + a very late edition of AWB(Aftershock album)?
    I wonder if Ligertwood & Steven Ferrone hooked up in Auger's Oblivion Express?

11. Same here! I never paid much attention to Jeff Beck until 'Blow By Blow' hit the shelves.

12. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    thnaks alot for the info guys, although JMX, the link that you gave is filtered on my comp. It must have some offensive material on it, detrymintal to my bassist eyes!!!! ;)

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I saw them live in my home town of Brighton, when I was about 15 years old in the 70s - went with some friends an it was an amazing gig - we were just stunned!! We were "high" on the energy for days after.

The definition of "power trio"!!

14. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Man, I would have loved to have been there with you.

15. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    BBA played N.Y. alot before they broke up, so I saw them everytime the came through....Tim Bogert
    was a F*&%ing animal....I think he used Univox cabs.....alot of them:D That was around the same time as West Bruce & Lang another killin' live power trio! Special mention to Tim & Carmine's band Cactus who I saw quite often and would pity the band that had to follow them:D

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...& how 'bout Vanillla Fudge? ;)

I have that BBA debut album; I'm gonna have to re-visit it(Stevie wrote "Superstition" for Jeff Beck, right?).

17. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Oh yeah....I dug Vanilla fudge big time! They where
    one of the "Mob" bands like the Rascals that played
    N.Y. & N.J alot when I was a kid. Last year I placed my vinyl version of "Near the Begining" with a C.D.
    Shotgun and the solo in Break Song still sound off the hook!

18. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Flashback!!!.....

Mountain- Live at the H"wood Palladium, we were
    trippin' and.......Oh never mind:D

Leslie West
    Felix Papallardi
    (Drummer) ??

Well, I gotta say, I certainly thought they kicked a$$ at the time.

And the Rascals- You must hear "Island of Real"
    with Robert Popwell on bass & Buzz Feiten, Joe Farrell, sax; This is from left field......!

19. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Right on about Beck!
    Speaking of power trios, has anyone heard "Time is the Enemy" with Jonas Hellborg, Shawn Lane, and the drummer calls himself something like Q-238 (don't quite remember).

20. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Zombywoof.......apt Q-258 is really Jeff Sipe, and the three of them have a new C.D. called "Personae" that smokes!