1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jeff Beck: Emotion & Commotion

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I just picked this up on Thursday. The studio part is interesting with both Tal Wilkenfeld and Pino Pallidino on one cut. I really enjoyed the DVD extra which showed the 2007 Crossroads Concert. It was nice to finally see an extended demonstration of Tal Wilkenfeld backing up Jeff Beck. I thought she was super solid, and her Sadowsky sounded perfect!

2. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    There's also a "Live At Ronnie Scott's" DVD featuring Vinnie, Tal and Jason Rebello.

3. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    I'm Just starting to listen to" Emotion and Commotion" and will be seeing him later this month...Jeff Beck is so far ahead of most guitarists that he grew up with...he never stands still regarding the genre of music that he plays and he is always getting intoand taking us to new places musically that I find my self smetimes only really getting into several years after listening to the CD repeatedly!! And I'm an excellent listener! Its so great that we have a true superstar we can go out and see and reliably see/hear a jawdropping moment literally about every 15 seconds or so . In regards to Tal's playing...very great lines and nice tone. And Pino is in his usual extraordinary form. And so far, what I've heard of the CD overall, I really like it...very refined playing from JB-quite different from his recent CDs though!! But thoroughly enjoyable!! Peace...DAcat :cool:

4. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Didn't Trevor Horn produce this album?

5. I'm looking forward to picking this up. I've heard nothing but good things about it so far.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I think so.
    I picked it last week (along with the "new" Hendrix album).
    I dunno, something about the Beck album I'm not diggin'...maybe the production is a bit slick?

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Yes this was on HD TV in the UK - I recorded it - very nice stuff and I think I prefer the live nature of what Jeff does, although not the albums usually..?

So I wouldn't buy a studio album - but always like to see him doing this kind of small group Jazz, live...:)

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I bought the DVD when it came out...love "Scatterbrain" & Tal's solo on "Cause we Ended As Lovers".
    ...and no doubt, Beck can coax some sounds out of a guitar with those hands.

9. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Yes, Horn did produce the album and yes, Horn is known for his meticulous and "slick" productions. I can see how a Beck fan would not necessarily be into the sound Horn is likely to have helped produce. I'm curious about the album though, so I'll check out some sound clips on line.

10. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    going to see him this coming Sunday night...can't wait...

11. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    I understand his new touring band is KILLER, and he's got his old "Wired" period cohort Narada Michael Walden drumming too.

12. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Well, knowing Rhonda's background, this gig is right up her alley.

13. oren

oren

Aug 7, 2007
    Salem, OR
    Though from Beck's January blog post it looks like it's Rhonda Smith on bass, not Tal. Rhonda used to play with Prince and is another great player.

14. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    The credits on my CD say: Produced, engineered & mixed by Steve Lipson.
    Executive producer: Trevor Horn

I've been digging the album so far, I love the way the first two tracks are set up.

15. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Steve Lipson has been Trevor's right hand man since the early 80s so this doesn't surprise me. On T.H. website it mentions that he produced the album - maybe I missed the word "executive" in there somewhere. :)

16. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    I agree that Jeff is better live by far than when he is in the studio recording...he has said the same thing himself many times...he much prefers to play live and feels more uptight in the studio...but even if he's not as great in the studio as he is live, he's still amazing and way ahead of most of the guitarists out there. Often when Jeff has taken a new direction in the past I have not liked it at first, then a while later loved it...so now I look foreward to listening for a while if it does'nt knock me over on the first listen, and the only CD that has'nt turned out great IMO was Flash. How many great Rock guitarists are are mixing Blues/Rock/Jazz and claassical and playing with symphonies...not many...Peace...DAcat :cool:

17. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Going to see him tonight....:hyper:

18. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    How was the Concert with the new band and new material Jeff is playing?? Thanks, Peace... DAcat :cool:

19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Well...I think that just because somebody has great technique and ideas - doesn't necessarily make for a great listen..?

When I was watching Jeff at Ronnie Scott's it's clear he is responding to what the audience likes and makes contact with them - he is playing for the audience.

Whereas I can imagine in the studio there is no audience so that connection is not there and maybe there is a sense that it is then about how clever it can be, rather than the feeling of playing for others...?

20. Bruce Lindfield

If it was produced by Trevor Horn - then all the tracks would have been fed into a Synclavier and jumbled up into something completely different to what was actually played! :p