1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jeff Berlin and Victor Wooten jamming together!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Baryonyx, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Absolutely marvellous! Talk about two legends coming together!

:D

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'm not taking anything away from Jeff Berlin but the dude has NO FUNK & NO SOUL!! Really good player and is good at what he does but I just can't get into him! Now, Victa......................

Victa gave him a good solid basis and chord progression and Jeff still played some bad notes and resorted to shredding. I guess I'm one of the few cats who ain't feeling what Jeff's giving! Sorry, just my humble opinion!

3. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Actually I don't think you would be the only one. I do agree. Now about that metronome issue. :ninja: Aint got no groove if you aint got no pocket.

Love Vic hanging on that first note for a long time. I do like some of Jeff licks but I love the feel of Vic playing overall. Either way I'd like to hear the way they hear.

4. +1
    Not many white guys over 40 who have the funk.

5. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    another +1 to not really digging jeff, or much that he has done really...just because you can spit out notes at a rate that jaco did dosnt make you jaco.i still respect him a great deal, but think he is a bit overhyped as a player.

on the other hand i was really glad to see a youtube clip that showed vic's fingerstyle playing, soloing and grooving to hellp expemplify that he isnt just a slapper and tapper.

6. GeezerFleaWoote

GeezerFleaWoote

Dec 31, 2006
    Hey! One of my first posts here.:) Anyways, I was there for that preformance. It was at the Clearwater Sam Ash Player's School of Music. Jeff Berlin was really tense the whole time, and wasn't that great. Victor was really nice, though. We all ended up jamming and playing his bass. It was awesome!:hyper:

7. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Racist, ageist, and total ********.

:mad:

8. Oh well... I'm a 36 YO white guy that grew up with hip-hop, so I'm speaking from experience.
    And I did say "NOT MANY".
    Take it as you will.

9. XavierG

XavierG In Memoriam

Good stuff!

Having watched that piece, I later found this one with Jeff & Laurence Cottle.

Not bad for 2 "over the hill" white guys!

10. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    I'm a 47 year old white guy that grew up with funk. There are many, many, many over 40 non-African American bass players, male and female, that can bring the funk all day long, myself included. You are not speaking from experience, as you identify yourself as a "certified nOOb".

Sorry man, but your statement was silly at best, racist at worst.

Must I really list all the cats that blow that **** apart?

11. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Didn't you hear? White dudes are the "new" black dudes!

12. Fair enough. Silly it was. Racist it was not, and I'm sorry you took it that way. Was not intended as a slam.

Noob at the bass I am... but not new at the rhythm.

Congratulations to you for having the funk! Wish there were more out there. :cool:

According to GeezerFleaWoote "Jeff Berlin was really tense the whole time, and wasn't that great."

Interesting:
    http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/563
    and a classic:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh3AuXv2dX8

13. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Woah, chill pal! I'm seeing a whole lot of Jeff Berlin on the net and selling records and not a whole lot of Scottice! :p

I really dig this video. It's not the best form ever for Jeff, but he is excellent as usually. I love his right hand technique, he is so fluent and his phrasing is excellent. Calling what he is doing "shredding" may be a bit off...

But it's great to see two players of such caliber coming together and making great music. I mean, technically, these two are right at the top, and thankfully this is matched by the fact that they're both so musically aware. I much prefer this video to the Berlin/Jaco one...it was a bit sad to see Jaco struggling while Jeff unintentionally skins him!

14. You just wait bucko! Someday.... ;)

15. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    They have different styles. Victor isn't as melodic as Jeff IMO. Jeff weaves melody inside and outside in very cool ways, and seems to have an endless vocabulary. Victor's approach to me always seems to be either: A)very rehearsed or rehashed, or B) very structured. I LOVE watching him play, but I also really like the way Jeff seems to have no inhibitions regarding his notes or phrasings. It really seems like he's trying to come up with new stuff on the fly, and that to me is very cool

Just some perceptions IMO.

16. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    yeah, I don't think Jeff has ever played Tears in Heaven the same way twice! Jeff does seem to have an affinity for endlessly morphing phrasing. I've never heard anyone play the bass like Jeff, he just has such an unconventional way of looking at the notes he's playing and the way they come out...sometimes in short, clipped phrases, sometimes in long, seemingly endless strings of notes...marvellous!

The again, I've never seen two bassists who polarize opinion more than Vic and Jeff. They probably laugh about it behind our backs! :smug: Is there gonna be anyone in this thread apart from me who likes Vic and Jeff? :D

17. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I like them both, yet grow weary of them in large doses. It's just my personal taste. But I can sit and watch Oteil play all night long. It's all a matter of how the notes speak to the listener. I just ignore anyone that wants to show disrespect to either of them. They are both monster players in their own right.

18. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I think Jeff Berlin is a phenomenal player and the way he phrases his passages is very interesting. There are 2 things I don't like about his playing...

First, his tone is just odd to me. He seems to really enjoy the midrange burpiness and punches it out there like nobody's business. I really find his overall bass tone to be distracting.

The second thing I don't like is his body language while playing. He seems a bit like Herman Munster when he plays...he has this strange way of swooning back and forth and doing this weird "bend at the knees thing" that makes it seem like he is trying to force emotion out of his playing rather than being natural. And can he get rid of the fu*&ing fanny pack???

Other than that, he has monster chops and his right and left hand are amazing.

19. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Okay...I'm chill now Scott...sorry I took such immediate offense. I'm going to read that article in depth later, but what I glanced over was indeed very, very interesting.

And the video is one of the funniest things I've seen in quite awhile. The best humor is rooted in the truth, and there's no denying the truth of that!

Welcome to the bass. I assume you're coming to us from the drummer side of things? If so you're starting with an excellent advantage.

20. [​IMG]

Little bit of drumming, but not alot. What I find strange is a natural metronome skill. I do practice with a metronome and find my timing is pretty damned good for a noob. I chalk it up to growing up with hip-hop. Let's see if it stays that way with 8th and 16th notes. LOL

Back to Vic and Jeff. I really wish I was there. I saw Vic last month here in Portland and was blown away. Jeff was here for Bx3 tour but I missed it. :crying:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021