1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jeff Berlin and Victor Wooten jamming together!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Baryonyx, Jun 6, 2007.

1. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

Now THAT is comedy!

2. Better yet...
    attachment.jpg

Attached Files:

3. I'm glad you guys calmed down - no need to fall out over the funk...but if you have to mention aging white guys who have it - two words - Rocco Prestia...

Anyhoooo - this is a dissapointing clip - I increasingly like Jeff's playing and as improvisers go they don't get much better - and Vic is (by his own admission) a rhythm / groove guy before a 'note' guy - as he wisely said "Bass players get complimented after a gig with 'Nice groove!' not 'nice notes'..." and rhythmically I think he kicks it on his solo, Jeff plays much nicer notes - but check out Jeff's fingerstyle at the end - I think that's grooving nicely if I'm not mistaken.

As for un-funky caucasians...sorry but Steve Bailey needs to hang out with Prince more...:bag:

4. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Yeah, I thought Jeff's playing was great on that video. It doesn't look like he was trying to bring the funk, so the criticism's here are unwarranted IMO. It looks like Jeff was trying to bring what he always brings, melodicism steeped in unusual phrasing, with lots of passing tones that step outside the box. I think he sounds great, and personally it's much more interesting than what Victor did, which just sounds like more of the same to me personally. I think Victor does best when he's underneath in the groove, or show-boating something he's rehearsed. (Nothing wrong with show-boating, don't get me wrong.) But whenever you put him on stage with a bunch of true improvisors, he doesn't really stand out TO ME. Please don't flame me! I really do like Victor, especially within his own idiom.

5. doesn't jeff *ever* smile? seems like he's really perpetuating the "bass players are dorks" thing with the fanny pack, lack of any physical flow in his movement & lack of any personal sense of style... all he needs is sweatpants to complete the look.

6. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I've never heard that bass players are dorks...ever.

But hey, that's just who Jeff is, and it not only affects the way he looks and moves, but it also enables him to play the way he does. Ever see that old video where he jumps up on stage at a clinic with Jaco and commenses to lay the smack down (melodically speaking, others may prefer Jaco's groove, and rightfully so). That was when Jaco was king. Most people would have been mortified to be up there. Jeff jumps up and just starts playing all this really beautiful stuff. Very fluid and well connected, as if he's not nervous at all...because he's not. Jeff's "I don't give a flip what you think, I'll do what I want regardless" mentality enables him to do that. I'm sure Jeff knows that most people think fanny packs are dorky. He just doesn't give a crap. I say good for him even if he does rub people the wrong way with the things he does and says. Let's just let Jeff be Jeff and quit trying to change him.

IMO, we have enough bass players who fit the typical mold without trying to make guys like Jeff conform. No one ever accused him of being another poser, that's for sure.

7. Even dorks can be monster players! There's hope for me after all. LOL

I have a vintage pair of "Local Motion" sweats. ;)

And concerning Jeff's fanny pack... maybe he has a CWP???

8. the dork of the band is the bass player. that's the standard stereotype.

who said anything about changing him? I was simply making a comment that he looks like a huge dork!

9. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I know. It's just more of the same talk about Jeff that I've heard around here for so long. Everyone seems to worry about what he says or how he looks. They do this because the think he should look a different way or say things they like. They miss the fact that all that stuff makes him who he is.

Jeff is one of the most accessible pros in the business. Anyone with the time and a little bit of money can go to one of his week-long intensive sessions and sit with him one on one. He'll treat you just like he would anyone else. You say you want to be a pro? Jeff will give you that respect and demand you act like it or change your goal. You don't have to "audition" or "qualify" to do this like with some schools. Jeff thinks he has to qualify to teach you. Pretty radical thinking. Yet people always worry about his fanny pack, or that he thinks metronomes are a waste of time. I just find it all a little frustrating, and didn't mean to sound as if I was taking it out on you. The comment wasn't aimed at you. Sorry.

10. Lorenzini

Lorenzini Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Jeff played beautifully. Not sure what you're talking about. No, not ALL music is about "bringing the funk". Though at the end Jeff was definitely playing a nice unique hoedown feel hehe

Jeff plays jazz and fusion, where it's pretty much about the changes and how you improvise around them and in them. Jeff's solo was more cerebral than Victor's, but Victor's certainly was more "soulful" if you want to call it that.

There's a reason why Jeff is respected amongst his jazz playing peers.

11. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I like both of these guys, but that video was kind of tedious. Wound up checking out the linked Jeff Schmidt stuff.

12. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I know what you mean, and I agree with it in it's context. I've long disliked the underlying premise though. That is that if you play with fewer notes and less technicality that you're playing with "feel" or from the "soul", but if you start playing fast or going outside, then your playing technically and with your head. While Jeff's performance in that video was much more technical in execution, also demonstrating a deep understanding of harmony and dissonance, I don't think it was void of any connection to his soul. After all, if that's what is inside him, then it's a tribute to him that he's learned how to connect with it and bring it outside for other's to enjoy. That's why I like Jeff, or Victor, anyone that can do that...bring out what's inside. How they look or act doesn't much matter to me as long as it's within reason.

BTW, I'm sure you weren't meaing to say Jeff wasn't playing from his soul, as your context was different, describing more the "style of playing being employed.

13. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I love that! He just looks so average, so unassuming! The glasses, the middle of the road haircut, the "average guy" dress sense. By all means, he's a middle aged white guy who you wouldn't look twice at in the street. But then he gets his hands on a bass and suddenly we're presented with this incredible vision and personality!

What tickles me is that this video is just a sample of a 17 minute jam! :D

14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Not bringing the 'funk' per se but in the context of that particular moment, he seemed either out of his element or he just plain refused to groove along! If Victa led that thing off, Jeff shoulda been able to play something along the same lines. To me, it was a total contrast of styles being forced, IMO! I was just waiting for Jeff to fall in line and it never happened. I'd sure like to know what Victa was thinking at that moment! :meh:

Again, I'm just referring to this particular video.

15. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Yes!!! I love it! My point exactly, although you obviously aren't trying to make it. Jeff ain't gonna fall in line! He's gonna bring what he wants to bring.

But to speak to your perception, I don't know that I think Vic was wanting Jeff to get it together. Vic would know as well as anyone what playing with Jeff will be like. And it certainly didn't feel forced to me. It felt "atypical" which is what gives it appeal, at least for some.

The two together is what provides the contrast. Contrast is good. It's comparisons that I don't care for, especially when it impunes one party for not being like the other. The only reason we think certain things "fit" is because we are used to hearing it that way. It's cool when someone can ignore all that preprogramming and play something that goes outside the lines enough to still be interesting without totally turning everyone off. I think that's Jeff's gift.

But everyone is certainly entitled to think what they think, and taste is so personal that I would never say anyone should "like" what Jeff does. I just wish people could make more room for it.

16. GeezerFleaWoote

GeezerFleaWoote

Dec 31, 2006
    ha. i dont know if its shown in the preview clip, but eventually jeff started running out of things do to and started scratching the strings.:scowl:

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

And that goes both ways my friend!

18. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    That's funny. I doubt he ran out of ideas. I've seen him too many times. He probably did that on purpose just make a point. Cracks me up.

19. justabass

justabass

Nov 7, 2006
    Nashville TN/Old Hickory TN
    Endorsing-Trace Elliot,Peavey Basses,PedalTrain,Starkey inears
    Hmmm....Jeff's not funky...Have any of yall tried to play the groove Jeff starts at around 4:50? I love both these guys for different reasons but just because Jeff's mom dresses him doesn't mean he can't get funky. IMO of course...

20. LOL :)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021