Jeff Berlin bass clinic!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Hategear, Apr 22, 2001.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Jeff Berlin is giving a bass clinic in my home town this week. Should I go? What kind of stuff does a clinic cover? If someone suggests that I go to one, does it mean that person thinks I suck?
  2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Definately go. Jeff talks about many different subjects in his clinic. Just because someone suggest you go to one doesn't mean they think you suck.

I remember reading an article Jeff wrote about clinics tho. He brought up the point that clinics are entertainment and advertising, not a viable educational resource. You might learn something, but don't count on it. I picked up a lot from Jeff at his clinic, but mostly I was entertained, both by Jeff's amazing playing, and by the rather stimulating dialog Jeff and those present had about the instrument. And it was cool to see my wife play Jeff's bass. :D
  3. I went to one of Jeff's clinics, and have it still on video. It was very entertaining, and I did learn a bit. You wont learn lots of licks or riffs, rather an overall shift in your perspective. I played Jeff's bass, and the action was so low it required a major change in approach. Definitely go.
  4. Definitely go! I went to a Jeff Berlin clinic in Atlanta three or four years ago and it was highly entertaining and educational.
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    At worst you'll see some good bass and watch him rip up people with half assed challenges to his ideas on metronomes!
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I definitely recommend going to his clinic.

I attended one of Jeff's clinics at Brook Mays Pro Shop in Dallas in the late 1980's.

Changed my whole approach to the bass, as well as my opinion on the limitations of the instrument.
  7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Some other bass players and I attended a Jeff Berlin clinic in Caracas way back in 1994. His wife is Venezuelan. Anyway, I enjoyed the clinic tremendously.

Gotta tell you this story. We arrived early and saw Jeff walking down the street. I actually chased him down the street and he was very kind and talked with me. We talked about basses and he told me the one I played at the time was not a comfortable one for my hand size. He said I should have bought his he was endorsing for Peavey at the time...a neck through. It was a beauty with a natural wood finish and much lighter than my Yamaha Attitude Limited.

One of the main points he made in his clinic was that four strings are all you need. He said just too many players are playing five strings that don't even begin to know how to get the most out of four strings.

He explained how important it is to master chords inside and out. Maybe I should say up and down, forward and backward. He had devised a system for working on them, taking a chord at a time and working on every permutation of it possible, plus in every inversion. Whew! If you spent a year doing that, you'd be a different player. I did eventually buy his book on that system, but never did work my way through unfortunately.

He is very entertaining and the time went very fast.