1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jeff Berlin Discussing Music Ed Part II

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    I'm in Nashville-we can't compete with The Rendezvous in Memphis (Elvis's favorite!). http://www.hogsfly.com/
    It's a dry rub BBQ and absolutely Killer. Unfortunately, Mrs. Roy has talked me into going Vegan/Vegetarian for a while so I'll have to sit this one out...:(
    Corky's Barbecue in Memphis is second.
    Nashville has Whitt's (Tennessee style) and Mickey Roo's (Texas style) Good but Memphis blows us out of the water, IMHO
    Wait a minute, Jeff, aren't you friends with Emeril? Why not call in a favor and get some speed-barbecuing TABs from him....:D

2. Craigmartini

Craigmartini

Feb 15, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: EMG pickups, Harke, GRABBIT stands.
  3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    if this is going to be a "hang with Jeff Berlin and talk about cooking" thread, I'll move it to Off Topic. If not, let's keep it on the subject please.

4. Craigmartini

Craigmartini

Feb 15, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: EMG pickups, Harke, GRABBIT stands.
    "if this is going to be a "hang with Jeff Berlin and talk about cooking" thread, I'll move it to Off Topic. If not, let's keep it on the subject please."

Ok sorry,
    Craig

5. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    OK, so it's a stretch, but good barbecue is like good Music and Music Instruction in that it takes a while to prepare, has a specific regimen (recipe), and at it's best contributes to a thoroughly greasy groove.
    Hey, I gotta try! :D
    OK, back on topic.....

6. why do i have a sudden craving for little feat

7. sedgwick1489

sedgwick1489

Dec 29, 2009
    Thanks for posting that Jeff! It does me good to see a top notch guy such as yourself on the verge of breaking out the Uzi! I sometimes feel like the more I practice, the more I digress so I appreciated the reminder how musical growth happens.

Question - I know where you stand on metronomes, but what do you do to get your speed notched up? You must have some method for ratcheting up your speed on faster tempo material as you become proficient with it.

Thanks! Tim

8. squirtle

squirtle

Feb 11, 2010
    Mr. Berlin, It must be fate, the direction that this thread has turned. I am one of those who learned to play without learning to read music. Thirty years ago I learned by copying every note on the "What's Goin' On" album. Now I'm 53 years old and retired after 30 years working a day job. Now my goal is to learn to read and study to become a bassist who could sit in with different bands around town. I started reading this forum a few months ago and have collected a pile of things to learn but I seemed to drift from one area to another without any direction. Intervals, modes, clefs, arpeggios, sight reading... all this is new to me. So, after reading this thread I had my first lesson Tuesday. Not with a bass player, but with a guy who is a composer. I got a "music theory" book and I'm starting from the beginning. (He said to get a metronome...I said no!)
    And now for the "fate" part. After I stopped playing in bands for fun back in the70's and 80's, I started cooking in BBQ contests for a hobby. I've won over 100 awards over the years and have spent 20 years studying bbq like I should have studied the bass. I've been competing against those pitmasters that you see on TV for 20 years now but it's time to get back to my first love, the bass. As a small token of my appreciation to all you guys who help us beginners out, if you have any questions on how to smoke briskets, ribs, pork, shoulders, chicken, like we do in competition, or if you want to talk pits, fuel, whatever, drop me an email.
    hev$bre$wer@mokan$comm.net (lose the $'s).

9. Toronto Bassist

Toronto Bassist

Jan 9, 2008
    Toronto
    Man, speaking of practicing...going to college for music was a real eye-opener. I had only been playing for about two years when I did, and all of a sudden I found myself in a situation where I was having to walk & play over changes - not quite Giant Steps, but a lot of the tricky standards. I found myself practicing 12 - 16 hours a day. I guess I was kind of naive.

I was pretty naive about the music business too...if I had known how to network and that sort of thing, maybe I'd be making a living doing music instead of working computer jobs all day.

10. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    Ernest Clark's book, the one that I am familar with, is a great reading book. It starts simply enough and then it slowly increases in melodic interest. But I found the book not bo e sequential. There are some exercises that i ignore entire, and move to those that I have found to be "better' in content. Still, there isn't one bad exercise in this book, and my comments about the lesser ones fall straight into what a teacher would do if you were under their guidance.

11. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    You are invited to leave at any time that you wish. This isn't your thread, it is mine and it also belongs to those who comment here according to our general agreemet about what we wish to discuss at a particular time. I found cooking interesting and so we deviated there for a page or two. But, if this is something that does not please you, then, by all means, please go elseware where the topic matter is more to your liking.

12. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    12-16 hours of practicing walking lines a day is ENTIRELY too much. I think that you might agree. I am actually quite good at teaching reading, jazz, soloing, and pretty much anything connected to the general western music. `There isn't anything in music that requires this much time of practice.

13. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I'm going to go ahead and reply to this in PM...

and since I couldn't, I must do so here.

Actually, Jeff, this thread belongs to Talkbass. And here at Talkbass, we moderators do our best to make sure the signal to noise ratio is as high as we can get it. Part of that is in making sure that threads stay on topic - as you yourself have requested in this thread. If you're not happy with that, you are more than welcome to host this discussion on your website, and your bandwidth.

14. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    "Can't we all just get along?"

-Rodney King

15. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    Apologies to Jon Packard for my hard comment! I am still mad about that kid Fergie Fulton and how he has polluted my thread and just will not take the dozens of hints from you guys, or the open faced demands from me that he go away. I will restate that for a few moments of fun, on a mutual agreement from everybody, we deviated away from music and had a good time discussing BBQ. But, certainly music will never be far from our general interests and discussions. Be patient and hang in there. Thanks. P.S This IS my thread, with permission from the website. Let's not get technical here and go into who owns what. This is MY thread, and everybody who comes here cooperates with this little bit of logistic. Cool?

16. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    A long strip of tenderloin? -Texas Pete

17. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    OH, BABY! YOU ARE MY KIND OF GUY!

Imagine! A guy interested in music who is also an award winning BBQ cook? If you had "attributes" I'd marry you.

Your case about the unclear way to approach all of the material that you have to study is quite typical. This is why your teacher MUST run the show. He has to have a grasp of musical facts of he isn['t going to be doing you any good. Why did he ask you to use a metronem? And (for me) more importantaly) why did you say no to it?

18. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    On the topic of metronomes....will their use HURT anything?

The reason I ask, is last night I got home from choir practice pretty late. Had a snack. Rested for a bit, and by the time I got around to working on my "homework" from my lesson, it was already 11pm. After working all day, I was beat, but I figured a half hour or so of practice is better than none (actually turned into almost an hour, amazing how you lose track of time when you get focused), so I sat down to work on the things I was given.

I didn't use a metronome. I tried the counting thing. It came out something like this:

"1 and $hit and two and f&#k and damn, and" as my fingers fumbled all over the place. I needed to slow down, and I did, but after a few minutes I'd be back to the speed I was fumbling at before.

Since the exercise isn't "musical" it's hard to feel a groove. Nothing there to get your head bouncing and toe tapping to keep the beat. Yes, I know, don't work on anything that's not musical....but I'm doing what the teacher says. He's supposed to be a very good instructor.

I'm not a fan of metronomes. The ticking nearly drives me crazy. But for someone like me that tends to get the "production line" mentality of getting through the exercise, a slow count allows me to go slow and focus.

As I've mentioned before, I'm open to suggestion. If a metronome will dufus my development, I'll delete that infernal iPhone metronome I downloaded and be done with it.

I want nothing standing in my way.

On another note, I got to noodle on the bass players bass at rehearsal last night. Hearing the notes you play booming through an empty auditorium is pretty dang cool. It was a small thing, but it's like a drug. I've had a taste and now I want more. I've never once been nervous on stage singing. Somehow I feel playing bass won't be that way.

19. Trapezius

Trapezius

Mar 1, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Damn you, I came here to learn about music, and all you guys did was make me hungry.

Just to comment on an earlier post; I'm also one of those guys who LOVE to practice. I want to be challenged and reach for the impossible all the time. Slow and steady, I'm not giving up.

20. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Try this-play a steady stream of ONE note only (quarters, eights, whatever). Then take one of the permutations and work it through totally free time, focusing on only WHERE the notes are played, which Right and Left Hand actions are needed, etc. Then try playing PART of the Pemutation (maybe 4-8 notes) in time in a loop very slowly. Then add more of the permutation, trying to keep steady time.
    Usually, timing problems are a symptom of not knowing where to go next, IME.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.