1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jeff Berlin Discussing Music Ed Part II

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billnc

Billnc

Aug 6, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Jeff will still answer, I'd like to give my thoughts cause I was where you were. One determined sob who was going to 'get it' no matter what. Reading was what was hurting the most.

Practice slowly! Correct every mistake, no matter how often, and do not get mad while doing this! Regarding reading, Jeff's advice is the best period. Follow it. You're determination can actually get in your way. I used to practice til I fell asleep (I was in the army and do endurance sports so I can REALLY push myself). Practice till thinking starts to wane, then do something else.

I followed Jeff's advice, after 15 years of reading music on bass (never had the issue with guitar so much, and guess what, my teacher just had me read) and never progressing because of advice I read about, I finally am getting my reading chops up to a decent level. (I can read but I'm after first call)

When you want nothing standing in your way, you become the obstacle.

Tread gently.

I learned music well, and through this I learned to read and play guitar, sax and keyboards. When bass became the focus, and important as hell because my income was becoming dependent on it I started following all kinds of advice. Much of it bogus. I was very determined and should have known better.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    and as a further addendum, i'd like to add that pacman acts with full confidence of the site administration.

pacman is one of the senior moderators at talkbass, site-wide. it is his job to make sure that all the threads remain topical, beyond just the forums he is explicitly assigned. he is given that responsibility by myself and the other forum administrators, and he -volunteers - of his time to do so. he's also a 20+ year vet millitary bandsman and one of the best sightreaders, improv players, and doublers i've ever heard anywhere. the fact that he has decided to spend his time here in an effort to improve our site is a great honor, almost as much of one as the fact that jeff berlin has also chosen to donate of his time to contribute to this site in haring of his knowledge and experience.

in the future, if there are any questions or concerns with moderator actions, please contact them directly out of the thread (via private messages) or contact one of us administrators via the contact us link at the bottom of the page. discussing this, and other contentious, issues in the thread serves as an unnecessary distraction from the great information being shared. also, if there is trolling in any thread, please use the red triangle with the black vertical line in it to report that post, and don't otherwise engage the troll. this helps us keep these threads clean and the information they are meant to be conveying more easily accessed, without the trolling trash getting in the way.

i'm going to close this thread and open another one, in an effort to give a "Clean slate" so that the discussion can continue un-encumbered by any previous postings that did not contribute to the conversation. it is also talkbass policy to close threads once they get around 1000 posts, so two birds with one stone. the new thread can be found here :

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8687797#post8687797

thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.