Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jeff Berlin has a new CD coming!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Titusbass, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Titusbass

Titusbass

Apr 29, 2004
    Hey Brothers and Sisters of Bass,

I used to teach with Jeff Berlin at BIT, but we hadn't see each other for a few years. Recently he and I got together and he played me some tracks from his upcoming CD release. I was only able to hear two songs, and not on the best stereo, but the tunes were ripping! Jeff is bringing back a cool jazz/fusion style that is aggressive and fun. As always, his solos are awe-inspiring masterpieces, but his comping is also really cool. Danny Gotlieb is the drummer, and he can play pretty well, too. (Understatement of the century.)

Unfortunately, I forgot to ask Jeff the name of the CD or when it will be released, so I am seeking your collective help. Can anyone tell me more about this disc?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dale

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Welcome aboard Mr. Titus! :)

According to his website it's called Lumpy Jazz, release date is May 15th.

www.jeffberlinmusic.com

3. Titusbass

Titusbass

Apr 29, 2004
    Hey JMX and Joshua,

Thanks for the warm welcome! I have been a lurker over the years, but I realize the valuable resource that this collective represents, so I hope to be a valuable member myself.

Hey Joshua, I have every solo Berlin recording and I am looking forward to this one. JMX, thanks for the CD title and 411. That's awesome.

Thanks again!

Dale

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I read a phenomenal interview with Mr. Berlin and ever since then I've wanted to get some of his stuff. Seems like this'd be a good start!

5. COOL! can't wait to hear it.

Welcome aboard, Dale!

6. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Hola,

How was "In Harmony's Way"?; I don't think I ever heard any tracks from that one, and I know I was really looking forward to checking it out. Jeff's playing totally knocks me out every time I go back to it, whether it's Bruford, Kazumi Watanabe, or Taking Notes.

I would really love to hear him start collaborating again, be it with Holdsworth or someone else. I always like Jeff's solo stuff, but like to hear him in different settings as well.

Howabout a record with some young guys, like Schleigho?

Will

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I have Players, Champion and Pump It, and I've heard the newer stuff.
    He has tons of chops, but his tone and phrasing never really touched me.

8. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I agree that I'm not always into Jeff's tone...I guess mainly because it hasn't really evolved that much in the last 15 years. However, you always know its him! (though I think he could change his tone and still sound like himself...by nature of his ferocious playing).

As far as his phrasing goes, I love it! It's dead on and impeccable. I realize not everyone might not like the perfect-sixteenth note assaults he can unleash, but I for one do.

Will

9. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Sadly, I've never heard any of Jeff's work!

can somebody recommend me some of his stuff,, preferably with Bruford?

10. Titusbass

Titusbass

Apr 29, 2004
    There has been some mention of Jeff's tone in this thread, and how it hasn't evolved much over the years. I do not really think a player has to evolve his or her tone. Their tone is part of their identity. Many of the greats have a signature tone that has stay, for the most part, unchanged throughout the years.

With that said, I do like Jeff's tone for one HUGE reason - you can hear his notes! It sure makes transcribing his music easier. Many bassists have bass tones that are hard to hear in the mix. Granted, most of Jeff's clarity comes from his superb technique, but his bass tone does stand out nicely.

From what I remember from listening to some of the tracks off of Jeff's new CD, he HAS updated his bass tone. It was rounded and fuller, with still that signature definition.

Regardless of the tone, his playing definitely has evolved and it is better than ever!