Jeff Berlin new group - Moshulu

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by India_Sierra, Oct 16, 2018.

1. For those who may be interested, Jeff Berlin announced on Facebook that he is forming a new supergroup of exceptionally talented players and I am beyond excited to hear what they come up with.

Jeff will be joining David Sancious on keys(who played with Jeff on the recent 'Joe Frazier Round 3' recording), Dennis Chambers on drums and the astounding Greg Howe on guitar. I absolutely loved the stuff that Jeff has done with Dennis Chambers before. There are few bassists who synergise with Dennis in such an effective fashion as Jeff Berlin. I feel as though both players take each other to new heights of groove and expression.

Greg Howe may well end up being the ace in the sleeve of this band as he is almost without compare in the world of guitar playing. He's got insane shredder chops backed up with a learned ear and intense knowledge of harmony. He is one of the best fusion players around today.

The whole band is absolutely elite and I can't wait to hear their music.

fusionguy, db59, Goatrope and 8 others like this.
  2. I am looking forward to that as I really like all of those players and the chemistry should be amazing.

gebass6 likes this.
  3. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

I'm an avowed Greg Howe follower.
    It'll be interesting to hear what Jeff and Greg will put together.

Comet01 likes this.
  4. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    If I'm not mistaken Greg Howe is also quite skilled on keyboards, yes? And David Sancious is definitely a talented guitarist in his own right. Sure would be cool if they swapped instruments on occasion!

gebass6, Whousedtoplay and jerry like this.
  5. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Oh! Definitely looking forward to this!

6. bigtiny

bigtiny

Jun 20, 2010
    Cambridge, MA
    Okay, time for one of my 'brush with celebrity' stories. When I moved to Boston in 1980, there was a club called 'Pooh's Pub'. It was in the cellar of a condo building in Kenmore square. The front room was like a little pub, but they had a back room with a stage and pool tables and stuff that they opened up at night. I saw a lot of bands there: Tommy Campbell's band with Kevin Eubanks, Tiger Okoshi with Tiger's Baku (Mike Stern was in that one), etc.) At the time I was working the graveyard shift.
    One morning I had gotten off of work and gone to run some errands and I swung into Pooh's for a beer around 1 PM. As I sat drinking my beer, I kept hearing sounds from the back room above the crap they were playing on the house system. I finally got curious and slid through the doors to the back room where a group appeared to be rehearsing. I quietly slipped into a chair just to listen. I was surprised to see that the group was Bill Bruford, Jeff Berlin, Randy Roos, and Mick Goodrick! I learned later that they were doing a couple of nights at another club called 'Michael's' and this was obviously the prep rehearsal. Good times.

fusionguy, msw, The Owl and 4 others like this.
  7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Did he call it a super group?

8. bigtiny

bigtiny

Jun 20, 2010
    Cambridge, MA
    Not to my face =:)

9. gebass6

As of this moment,I see no reference to this group anywhere else.
    And I don't have Facebook.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  10. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    I heard it had some issues with a gnome that lived in a city.

11. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I saw them tonight, Oz Noy is handling the guitar chair, and this band is sick!

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    fusionguy likes this.
  12. gebass6 likes this.
  13. gebass6

So....Greg had to bow out?

14. I suppose so, to my disappointment. Oz Noy is a canny player but Greg Howe is, I think, one of the most sensational players around today.

portpc and gebass6 like this.
  15. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Totally different flavors of great.;)

JimK likes this.
  16. Comet01

Comet01

Mar 27, 2008
    wayne, nj
    Anyone have a setlist for this tour?