Jeff Berlin overdubs himself on Norah Jones recordings?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Mofo-Kang

Mofo-Kang

Aug 26, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I'm American and 37...and Geddy still *IS* God.

2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I don't care for what Jeff is doing and have never cared for his overall attitude so I'm not even going to give the songs the time of day. One more hit on his MySpace page is only going to further inflate his ego.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I would have a hard time believing that someone who has the gall to have "I'm not an egotist---I'm a CONFIDANT" as his Myspace slogan has changed.

4. pbass2

pbass2 Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Heheh--this is pretty much true, and I don't think it's necessarily bad. I mean, I grew up in the era when practically every song had a guitar solo, whether it really needed it or not.
    In some ways, things are more progressive now and better for bassists than ever--for example, even in hip hop sessions(and there are no solos in hip hop really), I've had producers ask me to play upper-register melodic stuff (over a booming 808 bass), and I just did a session for a TV composer yesterday, that ended up with me overdubbing a 4 part bass harmony "section"---not a solo mind you, but a cool little interlude for the song. Didn't have to be bass--other instruments woulda worked, but the upper registers of a bass CAN really speak to the average listener if it's tasteful and hooky with a cool tone. Some of the newer cats are actually ALOT more open-minded than the more traditional "play the root with the kick" kind of guys. So, yeah, not too many solos---I'm cool with that personally, but I think the bass guitar is VERY respected in pop music these days (and in RnB and hip hop I'd say it's more highly regarded than guitar. I've played on many tracks with no guitar, and many where my bass was the only "live" instrument--they often count on the bass to grease it up and make all the programmed stuff breathe).

5. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    This, I did not know.

Thanks.

6. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Personally, I'd rather hear Carlos' guitar playing than Rob Thomas or Micheal Branch vocals. :D

But, I was talking about the other track on Berlin's myspace page where he blows over a santana tune.

7. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    +1

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Doesn't work for me.

9. My god... I like solo bass, I like Norah Jones, I like Jeff Berlin

Creepin'... that was absolutely, totally horrible.. that cheezy 80's chorus tone or whatever overlayed on that sparse, acoustic sounding track... IMO... but maybe not even IMO in this case.

If Jeff is trying to sell the idea of an 8 bar bass solo on a pop tune, I would bury that example.

My god... there's very, very few things that really sound horrible to me. I try to keep an open mind. I listen to Dylan, Screaming Headless Torso's, James Taylor, P-Funk, Bill Evans, Beyonce, Return to Forever, whatever. It's rare that I can't find something 'good' in all music.

That cut actually has me pissed off. I guess you can say it does evoke some emotion from the listener.:D

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

It's funny how whenever Pino's name comes up I can only think of his playing on Paul Young's "Wherever I lay my Hat" - so without the prominent fretless bass guitar part, it's just another cover - but the bass part was so radical, it changed it to a number 1 hit single in the UK!! :eek:

So it can be the case that the bass makes the song rather than the other way round!! :eyebrow:

11. +1.. I didn't even get by the horrible tone and the total lack of taste of the thing to comment that virtually nothing would 'improve' that song (as is the case with most tunes that have gone through the creative, producer input, and arrangement cycle).

I'm looking forward to hearing him blow over 'Let it Be':p:bawl::rollno:

12. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    Maybe Jeff should frelance himself to those indie bands (White Stripes, etc...???) to bands who don't have bass players. It would kill two birds with one stone: Make those bands sound better by playing contextually with the music (surely he is capable, right?), and help Jeff's now considerable PR/public image challenges.

13. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    +2 and I am a big Jeff Berlin fan.

But, in case you haven't seen it, check out this NAMM clip which is probably one of the scariest straightahead electric performance I've heard:

14. Now that's the Jeff I know and like:bassist::D I feel better now.

15. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    This is interesting to me but thats about it. I don;t think it is a good idea to record oneself over a copyrighted tune. That just goes to show that even the finest of players can play things that are not very tastful and out of place for a tune. He is still one of my favorite players but I would not give that stuff a second listen.

16. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    Very nice.

This is just my opinion, and not meaning to start a flame war or anything:
    Regardless of what is thought about Jeff Berlin the person, this performance IMHO, is as good as anything Jaco's done. And I love Jaco. I would like to think I can see/acknowledge a great performance or musical moment when I see one.

17. +1.. smokin'. Nobody ever said he couldn't play! I was just commenting on that, that, whatever that was......:D

18. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    Jeff smoked that! I have always enjoyed his straight ahead walking on electric and I just sent that clip to every drummer I know.

19. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Yes, he can play. But, why do I get the impression that he warms up by patting himself on the back?

20. ROGI

ROGI

Apr 25, 2005
    Croatia, Europe

I wish I had basement like that ;)