Jeff Berlin overdubs himself on Norah Jones recordings?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I think Jeff is fine. People shouldn't get so uptight and feel that a person has to make them like them before they'll listen to them. And he's no more of an ego maniac than Jaco was, and most of those complaining about Berlin's ego have no problem adoring Jaco's.

2. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Dude, Yes.

3. jweiss

jweiss

Jul 5, 2007
    Park City, Utah
    Thank you for that, they absolutely killed. One of my favorite tunes, that was very humbling.

Back to the shed!

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

Too bad since apparently it really is Donna Summer. Another pro runnoft

5. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I never knew she was such a Jeff Berlin fan! Nobody tell Jeff or we'll have long, chorus-filled runs over 70s dance tunes.

6. :p

7. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I'm not interested in Donna Summer so much. If her daughter starts posting, then I might get banned myself!!!

8. EADG mx

EADG mx

Jul 4, 2005
    nailhead

didn't say he wasn't great. :)

9. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    +1

10. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    As I stated earlier I am not into the overdubbing thing but I think that 5 pages of abject hatred and mean spirited remarks over it is a bit much. He does the jazz thing and he is good at it. I am not sure I would interpret the overdubbing thing as some sort of pathetic self advertisement for a pop gig. Maybe it is (and that would be sad) but I am not too sure about that.

11. Again, many of our posts are a bit 'tongue in cheek' and some of the responses were driven by a rather 'exhuberant' Jeff Berlin supporter tweaking all us 'cherry boys' :D

12. b_carville

b_carville

Jun 26, 2008
    I think that we sometimes forget that a great player isn't always a great person.

13. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa

Thats cool, I admit I have not read every single post either and I may have been reading a bit more into the remarks than was intended. He is still one of my primary influences as a bass player and I don't subscribe to all of his philosophies and I disagree with him on some things. I just can't get those early Bruford and solo albums out of my head. Thats good stuff.

14. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa

This is true, no doubt about it. I will ,however, reserve judgement on Jeff Berlin. I am not going to say he is a bad guy based on what I have read here. I believe that fans and fellow players always should be treated with respect (without them the player does not have anyone to play for) and if Jeff has violated this rule I disagree with it strongly. I think he has a unique personality and I can see how he might ruffle feathers.

15. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    While I agree with Ken in that I love the great players who manage to pull it off and still stay within the needs of their genre. But, their is a however to this. I play a lot of pop tunes at church, and it boggles my mind how many of the tracks have zero fills or turnarounds from the bass-player. It's almost like a lot of todays bass players don't even know how to walk from the one chord to the four chord. And the scary thing is, this trend seems to be most evident with a lot of todays singer / songwriters (I'm not talking about the prepackaged pop stars). It's almost if they or their producer walks into the studio, and says to the band, "Don't you dare play anything interesting"! This is especially evident in a lot of artist like Natalie Merchant, Sarah McClanahan and REM (although I must admit I haven't listened to a ton of this stuff). And I find although I enjoy some of the songs, the records get boring real quick. I LONG for another Jamerson, Dunn, or Osborn on a pop song. Damn, I'd just like to hear an interesting instrumental part,period on a pop tune. I know they exist but their getting rarer and rarer.

16. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Back on topic....

I finally listened to the recordings and I object to them on many levels.

* The stereo chorus thing he has going on sounds horrible.
    * The playing, while technicially proficient and interesting from a bass player's perspective, seems inappropriate in the context of the songs.
    * The songs are credited to "Norah Jones and Jeff Berlin"

Just all over inappropriate to publish these diversions, even if they were fun to put together.

I've got half a mind to download some of his songs and put them on my myspace page credited to "Jef Berlin and PhilBiker".

17. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I think that if you don't know who Berlin is and listen to some of his stuff for the first time with your eyes closed, you can appreciate his talent.

But as soon as you open your eyes, and hear him speak, the magic is over. And yes, although I'm sure he thinks the chorus effect is part of his "voice" and sounds cool, it was cool in 1978, not now!It's beyond me why any established musicians would record him/herself on top of somebody else's recording and publish it on MySpace. I'm pretty sure that violates MySpaces copyright policy.

Producers, watch out! Here comes Berlin, and he's got a chorus pedal, or two.

18. Hoover

Hoover Inactive

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City

True story: In 1991 I got hired to play bass on a big budget major label album by a techno-pop act in New York City. I had been gigging with them for about a year, I knew the material, I had imparted enough of my own "personality" into the bass parts to feel like my integrity and the songwriter's intent were happily coexisting...and the record producer (who, btw, is a reasonably big name producer who's done a lot of major acts that all of us have heard) figured it was cheaper to hire me than a quadruple-scale first-call NYC studio rat like Will Lee or Tony Levin.

We go into the Hit Factory for a one week lockout just to do drum tracks. Sickening oppulence everywhere: Our deli bill was higher than the entire recording budget for any project I've been associated with since. I printed a dozen or so keeper bass tracks before the week was out.

Then a month later they called me back in for three days to re-record all my bass parts. Why re-record them? Because everywhere that I had originally played some sort of moving line, fill, passing tones, anything with a note density higher than eighth-notes...basically anywhere I had played anything of melodic interest besides just doot-doot-doot-doot chugging root notes, the producer asked me "could you put a slide there?"

I'm serious. Every single melodic line I had originally played got replaced with a quick descending glissando.

Yeah, I'm a whore, I took the money and played the glissandos. But I couldn't look at myself in the mirror for a week.

19. Why all the hate?

Who cares about the noodling? That's all it is. No big deal. I do it all the time. He just put it out there for us to listen to. Ever hear of the word FUN?

I wish you some of you cats would apply the same standards to other players as you do to Berlin.

20. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    Personal taste and preference is one thing, but this is just wrong. Totally wrong. I bet Norah's attorneys would have a field day with this...

:scowl:

I like the guy's playing and I shared his music with a few of my other jazz buddies just last night as one of the better examples of Jazz Fusion playing that's NOT Weather Report, but this crediting thing is bare and brazen arrogance. Makes me want to use his CDs to clean my catbox. Over and over again.

:scowl:

My appologies if I have really offended some die-hard Jeff Berlin fans out there.