Jeff Berlin plays Larry Graham

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

I will give you guys a break, but as you can tell, I like Jeff Berlin’s channel.

2. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I haven't watched the video yet but I'm calling this first: I've got $10 that says Jeff doesn't play it the way Larry does.

Marikk, charlie monroe, JRA and 13 others like this.
  3. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    I'm with you, Doc. I know he's not loved around here and I understand why. I'm cool with that. But he spent time with me in a long email exchange about 7 years ago when he really did not have to. He really seemed to be interested in helping me improve my playing and he got nothing out of the time he spent explaining concepts to me.

I respect the man for that and for his talent. And yes, his advice helped a great deal.

4. I think that would be true for anyone other than Larry Graham.

5. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    While I don't disagree, my point was more about how antipodal Berlin and Graham can be in their execution. I dig that Jeff appreciates Larry's work, but I suspect he just can't bring himself to play that way, because so much of what makes Larry's funk funky is an almost inherent casualness-bordering-on-sloppiness. The low open E in the "Thank You" line comes out of Larry as if it's almost an accident, or an afterthought...it kind of slips out of his hands rather than getting deliberately struck. Jeff just plays it like it's another note in the line...because Jeff is all about intention.

JRA, Old Blastard, wmmj and 1 other person like this.
  6. toprekoms

toprekoms Inactive

Aug 22, 2010
    Colorado
    Why is he not loved around here? He is one of the best who ever lived. And don't forget, he's in his seventies.

IamGroot, JRA and Old Blastard like this.
  7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    His musical skill isn't the issue.

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    He is 67 this year.

10. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Ya I'm not sure what age has to do with it. My downstairs neighbor is 103 and he's a a-hole.

MixBass, foal30, Marikk and 10 others like this.
  11. toprekoms

toprekoms Inactive

Aug 22, 2010
    Colorado
    Then what is the issue?

12. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Ive admired his playing since i started playing bass in 1981. Guys like him kept me home to practice when all my idiot friends were getting drunk at high school parties

bkbirge, JRA, Old Blastard and 3 others like this.
  13. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It's the opinion of many people that he's arrogant, condescending, rude, dismissive, endlessly self promoting, not nearly as amazing at teaching or playing bass as he thinks he is, and generally unpleasant

Marikk, Axstar, RichSnyder and 3 others like this.
  14. 4001

4001 Inactive

Sep 29, 2004
    Lake County, IL
    And, since those types will outnumber someone like you, their ignorant opinions will too and a big bully like JB, to them, is a BUZZ-KILL because all they want to do is sell beer in bar bands playing music that doesn't require JB's advice.

15. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    That is the most antiseptic take on that song I've ever heard. There's just nothing funky about JB playing it. Some fancy riffing and solid time keeping throughout, yes, but he misses the heart and warmth that LG puts into it. The swagger of Graham's playing cannot be replaced with metronomic time-keeping.

Mr_O'B, Axstar, JohnDeereJack and 4 others like this.
  16. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    You nailed it. This is why I don't like most guitar and bass shredders or most of the guys that appear on covers of guitar/bass magazines. They've got the technical chops to play anything, but it sounds soulless, mechanical, and over-rehearsed to me. And none of these guys can come up with a song like "Thank You" to save their lives. They would ruin it with unnecessary riffs, runs, and notes that kill the groove and soul (just like the video in the OP).

However, I did enjoy his analysis of the song. That was spot on.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    Mr_O'B and pacojas like this.
  17. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    You say that like it's a bad thing.:)

Marikk, TN WOODMAN, Altitude and 2 others like this.
  18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Berlin just played the lick a few times, and then he analyzed the song. It was not a serious cover.

gebass6 likes this.
  20. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    The video is not available in my country. Was it soulless and overly technical?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021