1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jeff Berlin sorting ideas for next album

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by CDweller, Dec 21, 2011.

1. CDweller

CDweller

Oct 24, 2009
    Clearwater, FL
    Jeff Berlin is going into the studio next Tuesday to record his next album. He'll be doing some songs with him on electric and his colleague Richard Drexler on upright, as well as piano. I'm a student at Jeff's school, and Jeff called me to lay down some upright so he could see how his ideas on electric sounded with an upright laying down the bass. I'm a beginner on the upright, and really was reticent to expose Jeff to my shortcomings, but he wouldn't have it, and it was a great experience.

Great electric bass from Jeff, not so good upright from me! - YouTube

2. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    Nice ideas/soloing by Jeff, as per usual.
    Agreed with the above - hard to tell what was happening with the changes, as the sound was sort of murky.
    Say hi to Jeff for me. Where is he doing the recording? Locally?

3. I must be goofy, I got it :meh:

But I am running the clip through my home junk.
    I have EQ it so the upright is clearer, so...

4. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    Jeff sounded out of tune with himself, IMHO. :confused:

5. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Sounds like a great experience.

6. OMG tough crowd!
    I think it's way cool. Jeff's one of the things I miss the most about working at Musician's Institute. Gawd I'm old LOL

7. I think the sneeze may have done it. :D

8. CDweller

CDweller

Oct 24, 2009
    Clearwater, FL
    Apparently the local Scientology Temple/Lair/Shrine whatever in Clearwater Beach also has a good recording studio. I think Chick Corea records there.

This was a throw it on the wall and see what sticks sort of thing for Jeff. He was just testing ideas, and also gracious enough to let me get my feet wet playing the upright- I've not really played it in any ensemble setting yet, being new at it.

I heard Jeff playing from outside before I walked into the rehearsal room, and he's definitely in the zone and hitting his stride. I'm pretty familar with his playing at this point, and he's hit a new level of melodicism as well as harmonic integrity. I'm looking forward to the album. My playing was kind of a distraction for him, but whatever. He wants to use my upright on the recording Tuesday and Wednesday with his piano/upright player Richard Drexler playing it. Richard checked it out last night, and he's cool with it. It's a Shen Willow, which is a really good sounding upright in the right hands (like Richard Drexler!). Kind of cool for me, geek that I am.:)

He just wanted to bounce ideas against an upright, and I, the dutiful student, was in town. I figured it would be fun to record it on my iphone so guys can see the process at work. It's nothing serious, but it was purposeful; brainstorming before the recording next week.