Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jeff Berlin tabs?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by jarski, Aug 16, 2002.

1. I've been trying to study the Bach-thing on Jeff Berlin's Pump It! -album but a couple of short strips beat me. Would anybody happen to know where to find tabs to the song? I'd be grateful if someone could help me out.. I searched the web upside down but couldn't find a clue of Berlin's tabs.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There have been several Interviews with Jeff Berlin where he has expressed his opinion on this subject - here's part of one that's on BunnyBass :

"Jeff Berlin: By far, the biggest roadblocks are what these players have read in music magazines about learning how to play. Handgrips, metronome studies, major scales exercises that have been re-hashed to death for over 20 years, music magazine articles with titles like "Learn How to Play in a Week" or even "Learn Without Practice" (this one cracked me up because the author was serious), tablature, memorization exercises, alternate picking exercises, slap exercises, rock class, rock bass transcriptions. There isn't a shovel big enough in the world to scoop up all the **** that has been dropped in front of these guys every month for years.

At a clinic one day, a bass player named Steve Bailey actually told a group of young players to use their handgrips while driving their cars. It wasn't even my clinic, yet I walked on the stage, got on the microphone and told those guys to keep both hands on the wheel and pay attention to the road. How can anyone make suggestions like this to impressionable people and then wonder why I get so concerned about the educational farce that is perpetuated on players all the time and from all kinds of sources?"

3. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    If it's Bach you want there's a book called: "J.S. Bach For Bass" and it has standard notation and TABS.