Jeff Berlin

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JoseNeville, Jul 11, 2002.

1. ... can't ... help ... myself ... must ... resist ...

too late, already checked it out.

I'll say one thing for Jeff, he gets an "A" for arrogance.

- Dave
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    He has amazing technique, but too self-righteous for my taste, not very simpatico.

Ever listened to his first 3 albums? He's definitely guilty of doing a lot of things himself he critizises others for. His tone is an acquired taste too.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Is it just me.....or doesn't he like slappers??? (snicker) :D

I like opiniated people who stick by their guns even if I don't agree with them, as long as they deliver the "goods" to back themselves up. He always makes me think.

None of this - "Well, excuse me, but......" or "Well, I'm sorry, but....." crap.

His bass has always been his voice, not his mouth, IME. He's been saying things in print that don't please all people since I started reading his columns in the 70's when there were no "bass magazines."

Great article, Jose! Thanks!
  4. Ever since he claimed here on TB that fusion bassists only started slapping after he did it for a minute on a Bill Bruford tune in 1979, I refuse to take the man seriously.

I mean, there's honesty, and then there's "straight talk" a la Gene Simmons. Berlin falls into the latter category. He's a troll who happens to be a really good bassist. Whoop-dee-doo.
  5. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    When he had a forum here I tried to talk with him and if you disagree (I did) even in a polite way (I did) he comes across as condesending. He couldn't be bothered to look up my profile and never moderated his forum for flame wars. Anyway my word against his as he deleted the whole shebang and went off to pastures new.

Anyway I'm off to troll Michael Manring (joke I'm listening to Mo bass thang as I type).

EDIT we have had some negative posts without anyone leaping to his defence. I had quite a few posters jumping down my throat when Jeff was here, maybe he took his harem with him.
  6. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    1979, wow that's really interesing, but perhaps true after he was influenced by Stanley Clarke who slapped on the "Where have I known you before" Album with Return to forever in 1974. :D
  7. I don't think he had much of a harem. I think that there were only a couple of people that were backing him up.

It's unfortunate that a musician as good as he is who is also a teacher is so egotistical. He could do so much more good if he was just open to other people's ideas.

I responded to many of his posts and gave arguments that refuted his statements. He never responded to a single one of my messages. He apparently doesn't feel the need to back up his statements with logic or facts. When he does have "proof" of something, it generally consists of putting the burden on you to prove him wrong. If you can't prove him wrong, he must be right. I can't prove that Santa Claus doesn't exist. Does that constitute proof that he does exist? ( rhetorical ... of course not )

- Dave
  8. You know, I think Jeff's personality might have just a little bit to do with why he wasn't able to get a recording contract for ten years.
  9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i wonder if there's a thread on this exact topic over at a certain other bass site right now :rolleyes: :D.
  10. Sorry guys!!!

I just want to share something. But what I see is whenever you talk about Jeff berlin there is a problem coming. I talk with him in his forum and he was very kind. He give many good advises and was the better bassist that we got here (now we got Michael Maring). Jeff is one of the best bassplayer right now. I can understand that many of you don't like Jeff Berlin, but give the credict that he deserve.
    I'm a professor (in Math) and I can understand many of the points that Jeff make about teaching.

Sorry Again!!!
  11. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    i like his playing, i could care less about what he says/does...
  12. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Of all of the "pro" bassists I've talked to, Jeff Berlin stands out as one of the nicest I've ever met. The first time was in '83 when he toured for Holdsworth's "Road Games", and then I talked to him again at a clinic a year or so ago.
    Just use what you can and let the rest go..
  13. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Good point, I like Virtual Residue but I aint getting the haircut :eek:
  14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

that's what _YOU_ think.

(bbzzzzzzzzzz) :D
  15. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    There are so many replies to that and most of them are not clean enough for a PG board :)
  16. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Where's Jeff's new forum? I know where Dann went, but I thought Jeff gave up on the whole internet thing.
  17. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  18. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Jeff doesn't tick me off. Then again, I agree with a lot of what the man says. I think that a lot of teachers/music courses/video's/books ect are a joke. I also don't see how a metromone can help you build timing. (It can help build speed and that's all I believe it can do, I remember my piano teacher use to turn that thing on and it was more distracting than anything else) I would love to go to the players school if I had a chance. Again, there are some things that I disagree with Jeff about. I like slap playing for instance, but if he doesn't like it, than that's his opinion.
  19. Many things that jeff said is about teaching. When you teach you are supposed to use the best method, the one that should help every students. Thats why videos, tablatures and metronomes are not teaching method.