Jeff Berlin

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by TheHardyBoyzSB, Oct 30, 2000.

1. Has anyone heard of this man? If you haven't you MUST go and buy one of his cd's now!! He is great. He is mostly jazz with tapping techniques much like Stu Hamm and jazzy sounds like the late Jaco Pastorious. He even made Tears in Heaven an entire bass instrumental (along with drums) You have to check him out, he is fantastic.
  2. maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    My old jazzteacher in sweden used to be his assitant at MI couple of years ago. That guy was good... I can imagine that mr Berlin can top that :)
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Berlin has been around a long while.
    If you can find them, check out Kazumi Wantanbe's SPICE OF LIFE and SPICE OF LIFE, TOO. JB really gets that Jaco/fretless thing goin' on his FRETTED bass.
    Also, Berlin's stuff with Alan Holdsworth(ROAD GAMES)& Bill Bruford(GRADUALLY GOING TORMATO)are worth a listen.
    I have all of Berlin's solo discs; the playing is stellar...the writing could be "better"(I guess).
  4. ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    I think Berlin is head and shoulders above most of the big name players out today in terms of technique and knowledge. But as was said in a previous post, his writing could be better. His compositions are generally very boring. He can't write! That's too bad, because he is very good.
  5. I saw Jeff Berlin do a clinic a couple of years ago and he absolutely floored me. The best part was, he asked people in the room to shout out the names of notes. Once he had four different notes, he said "OK.. here's your four notes." And he proceeded to improvise a bebop/funk solo using only those notes, but played all over the neck. Pretty awesome. I tried to follow his fingers to make sure he wasn't cheating but it was no use!
    The most inspiring thing about watching him play was, it was all done with two fingers on a 4-string, which is my set-up, so it made me wonder what I could accomplish if I really worked at it. I think that was his whole point.
  6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've been a fan of his for a long, long time. I even went so far as to track down (finally) one of the Peavey Pallaedium basses that Jeff helped design in the early 90's. I got it for a steal, and it is one of the fastest basses I've ever played. I think they was only a very limited release cuz he and Hartley Peavey had a falling out, but I could be wrong. No one sounds quite like Jeff. I think part of it has to do with the fact that he uses a lot of legato when he plays.

7. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Hey that (TheHardyBoyzSB) really YOU?...:D
  8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    The sad thing is that most early J.B. recordings are rare or out of print. (Anyone have Bruford's Gradually Going Tornado?)

I think Jeff is one of the most complete musicians out there and definitely a role model as far as excellence on the instrument. He should come to the west coast once in a while.:(

Will C.:cool:
  9. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    I definitely agree with you. I have seen and heard Jeff on some of his training material, as well as have read MANY of his articles.....and while I will never come close to being one tenth of the player he is....
    his ideas about playing have helped form the foundation of MY bass playing abilities.
  10. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...yeah, I have it. I have CHAMPION and PUMP IT, too. But they're not really OOP; I have seen a cd out there(even locally)called CROSSROADS; it is a compilation of the CHAMPION & PUMP IT cds(includes ALL tunes from both except the cut, "Champion"). It's a DOMESTIC release;
  11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Yep...on vinyl, no less. That's right, Jim, I have everything!

12. i got tornado and master strokes from a drummer i played with for christmas many years back, he was a big bruford fan but the bass playing threw me against the wall, joe fraiser just kicks from start to finish, but the best thing is it turned me on to bruford which turned me on to king crimson, which turned me on to tony levin, joe frasier pushed me against the wall, but elephant talk threw me down the stairs
    i repeat my self when under stress, i repeat . . .
  13. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I'll be the first to dissent. I've heard Berlin's solo stuff and some of the stuff he did with Kazumi Wantanabe and Bruford. While I admire his impressive technique and the depth of his musical knowledge, I find his perfectionism somewhat offputting; he makes Manring sound like a free spirit. If Lt. Com. Data played bass, he would sound like Berlin.
  14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Chris, You obviously haven't seen Manring live.:rolleyes:

Actually, I'm sure Data could sound like Victor Wooten, Manring, Berlin and Jaco at the same time! :eek:

Will C.:cool: