Jeff Buckley

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bassline1414, Feb 17, 2002.

1. I just got Grace yesterday and I think it's really, really good. Are the other albums that he has out any good? Thanks
  2. Grace is a great disk.
    Everyone I know choose to not to take the chance in getting another disk. Only because the others may disapoint. Granted I am not saying that they will but none of us wanted to take the chance.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - the point is that he died before finishing any other albums, so we won't ever know what they might have been like. There are loads of live albums of variable quality, but not really "official" releases and the second album was unfinished when he died. :(

One of the greatest tragedies of modern music - he was a great singer. I saw him perform at Elvis Costello's "Meltdown" festival at the Festival Hall in London - there were a great variety of singers in all sorts of genres, but I think everybody recognised that Jeff Buckley was somehow "special" - he could sing any style of music, with tremendous technical facility and emotion. Elvis Costello said that nobody wanted to follow him on the "set list"!
  4. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    "Sketches from My Sweetheart the Drunk" and the DVD are definitely worth getting. Both are 'official' releases.
  5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I have to agree with oddentity. While I think Sketches could have been cut down to 1 disc, I am glad they included all of the stuff he was working on. It is exactly what it says it is--sketches of what the album could have been. It's rough, but the songs are good, and it makes you sad that he didn't live to finish it.

Sketches was put together by Jeff's mom and Chris Cornell. Apparently, they were best friends, and Jeff's mom asked for his help. If you've heard Cornell's solo album, you can definitely hear the influence that Jeff was having on Chris's singing style.

Mystery White Boy is an amazing live album. The DVD is great, too. If you like Grace, you will like either of the other albums, too.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

I did buy this album, but it is definitely unfinished and incomplete - also somewhat unsatisfactory to me - I just think it highlights what could have been - just sad really - and I very rarely listen to it (only once or twice in all) ; while Grace is a favourite in my CD player.
  7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yeah, that's why I think it could have been condensed down to one cd, and been a lot better as a listen. Some of the tunes are barely even in sketch form, I agree. And, I also agree that it just makes you sad when you think of what a stupid waste his death was. I mean, really--drowning in the Mississippi River because you want to go swimming drunk?!?
  8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts

"Official" posthumous releases are nothing new.

Look at Hendrix, while alive he only released four LPs (Experienced, Axis, Ladyland, Gypsies) yet much more stuff has come out since he died! I'd also mention that a lot of the Hendrix stuff that was available through the 1970s (Crach Landing, Midnight Lightning, In The West, etc.) was eventually pulled from release as being "substandard" only to be replaced in the 80s and 90s by a flood of even more material, like the full Woodstock show.

It's eerie that Stevie Ray Vaughan, who rose to stardom due to his Hendrix covers, also issued only four albums while he was alive and now has many more posthumous releases available. The Doors are currently in high gear issuing various live shows on CD (the band's last performance was 32 years ago!). :confused:

At least one biography of Buckley has claimed he was dissatisfied with the tapes he recorded with Tom Verlaine but immediately after his death his mangement and record label scarfed up every tape they could find "in case". Sony had invested a lot of $$$ into Jeff but had not sold a lot of records, with posthumous releases they could recoup some of that investment (no tour support for a dead artist :rolleyes: ).

Interesting to note that Jeff's father Tim Buckley has also had more albums released after his death than before :(
  9. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Interesting, and also sad. :(
  10. Yeah, Jeff was brilliant. 'Grace' is an awesome album, I especially like his cover of 'Halilujah' (sp?) It has to be one of the most haunting songs ever.
    'Sketches from My Sweetheart the Drunk', is, I think, a great album. Anyone who likes 'Grace' will like it, I dont thnk you will be disapointed. There is some unfinished stuff, but there is also a heap of finished, and incredible, songs on there.
  11. Bruce Lindfield

I did and I was!! As I explained above, I really liked Grace and bought "Sketches" as soon as it came out. I was more sad than disappointed I suppose, but I still have no desire to listen to it, whereas I listen to Grace quite fequently.
  12. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Just want to say ditto about anything good said about Jeff Buckley. I just discovered him last summer - what a shame, I'd have loved to have seen him.
  13. I probably listen to 'Sketches' more then 'Grace'. Maybe Im just twisted, but I think the unfinished and raw feel of 'Sketches' makes it much more interesting, compared to the slick production on 'Grace'. I dont think about what it could have been, but look at it more like Beethovens Unfinished Symphony, and is a great tribute to Buckley.

I am extremely angry with myself! I remember a few years ago my friends asked me if I wanted to go with them see a little known singer named Jeff Buckley who was out to play a small club. I said no, as I had never heard of him!
    That one single gig has since become legendary, as it is supposed to be his greatest ever performance, and in a small, half filled club in Sydney, right before he become famous. ARRRGH!! I cant believe I didnt go! As soon as he left and returned to the US 'Grace' started selling.
  14. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I'm certainly in agreement with y'all that Jeff was an utter genius - Grace is an absolute masterpiece...

'Sketches' is worth getting, if only for 'Everybody Here Wants You' which is one of the greatest songs ever recorded, IMHO - the first time I heard it on the radio, I was just floored, couldn't believe that such great music was coming out of the speakers...

get them both, and mourn a very sad loss...

15. I got "Mystery white boy" a week ago. I've been playing it non stop since then. I had only heard his "Hallelujah" cover before I got it, and I have no regrets.

And from what I hear on this thread, I'm going to have to hurry up to get the DVD, Sketches and Grace.
  16. Shoulda gotten Grace first, I was actually pretty dissapointed with Mystery White Boy. I did get his "Live At Sin-e" ep yesterday though and it is really good...shows some of his best guitar work.
  17. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    "Everybody Here Wants You" from Sketches... is the sexiest song in the world.
  18. i have Grace, and while jeff is undoubtedly one of the best singers i've ever heard, i don't really dig his songs - the best ones on that album are the covers. still, he had bucketloads of talent.
  19. I bought Jeff Buckley's 'Grace' about a year and a half ago and was blown away. What a haunting voice. I thought the whole album was real strong- originals and covers, and it's one of the CDs I have that makes it to the player quite regularly. To think that was his debut. What a loss. We can only speculate where he could have took it. I'll have to seriously consider purchasing some of the CDs/DVD that were mentioned.
  20. The DVD is excellent. Jeff had an awesome stage presence.