Jeff Coffin / Felix Pastorius

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by 6-stringer, Feb 10, 2002.

1. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    I saw Jeff Coffins' "Mu'tet" last night. It was one of the sickest jazz shows I've ever seen. I show up and, to my surprise, there is a guy that looks a hell of a lot like Jaco warming up on stage. After further investigation, I found that it was indeed Jacos' son Felix. I did'nt think about it much at the time and milled around waiting for the set to start. They opened up with a kind of zydeco/funk tune and it became apparent that the guys have a sense of communication on stage that borders telepathy. Felix has the genes. No joke.
    He is a nut. The guy could'nt have been over 19-20
    and was a trully great player. Sounded a lot like his old man. These guys tore through 3 hours of sickness without a break. Watch out for the Mu'tet.
    I have (totally legal) Sound boards of the show. If anyone is interested I would be happy to do a b&p.
  2. pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    [Felix has the genes. No joke.

Good for him. Glad to hear he's doing well. I'm unlikely to get to hear him anytime soon as I have no immediate plans to travel to South Florida. However, I'll definitely look around to see where he's playing the next time I'm down there.
  3. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    I accually saw him here in VA. I wouldn't be surprised if he's all over the place in the next few years. He is a phenominal bassitst.
  4. Does anyone know if there's an album out with Felix playing bass? Are their any commercial recordings of the Coffin/Felix lineup?
  5. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Yup, they were selling a CD at the show. I'm not sure of the name. might have it.
  6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    whats a b&p?
  7. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    b&p-blanks and postage. You send out blank CDs and postage, and I'll send the show back to you.
    I got in a little trouble last time I tried to do a trade on talkbass, so let me reiderate. It's totally kosher and incouraged by the band. The tapes turned out real, real good by the way. If anybody wants them, just email me.
  8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I would LOVE to hear how Felix plays! I've only heard the best about him so far. Definitely got the genes and the hands! That boy is BIG. Thanks for the heads up, 6-stringer! Can't imagine it'd be too bad with Coffin in it.

Are any of the other Pastorius children musicians?
  9. Could anyone describe what Felix's playing is like? Did he play a jazz bass, and is his tone like Jaco's? Did he play a fretted bass? Did he solo? Did he slap? I've read things here and there about him, and I really need to hear him play!
  10. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    His tone is almost identical to jacos' His technique is also very simmilar. He used fretted and frettless jazz basses (the fretted was a beat up old burst that looked familiar;) ) He is a monster of a slapper.
    He pulled solos all night. He has a more modern funk/groove feel than jaco.
  11. does he think he is the greatest bassist that ever lived? ;)
  12. Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    VA area, where at, and is there anyway I can find out where he is playing at next?
  13. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000