Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jeff gets a scanner--test

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Jeff Bollbach, May 20, 2002.

1. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    A computer dummy trying to get his scanner to work.

Well, it seems to work. This pic is of an italian bass that I just restored. The tension had been left on with the neck block being loose and it had split the centerjoint and warped one side in. I'll post pics of the repair soon.

2. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Someone told me that scanning at higher than 75 dpi does not help the quality of an image if you put it on the net. Is this true? Thanks in advance[any help is appreciated]

3. Yes - but scan at as high a resolution as you want - it's always best to start with more data than you need (you can always throw it away, but you can't invent it ;) )

- then CROP (leaving only the interesting bits...)

- then tweak (balance/levels/unsharp-mask/effects etc. etc.)

- then SIZE (to the approx size you want it to be - say 8" on the long side) at the resolution appropriate for the web (~72->90 pixels/inch - anything more is waste...) - save as a jpeg file.

What are you using as an editor (PhotoShop, PaintPro????)

- Wil

4. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    I am "using" the Microsoft photoshop. My friend is gonna eventually hook me up with something better.