Jeff Healey

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The Golden Boy, Jan 19, 2005.

1. After reading the post about the "Angel Light" X-Ray spectacle gun thing, it reminded me about a song I heard on my way to work today.

Back in 1989 or so there was a movie called Roadhouse with Patrick Swayze. In the bar scenes there's a blind guitarist who sits down playing the guitar on his lap. That's Jeff Healey. After seeing Roadhouse a few months ago we were trying to remember the name of the song- after a day or so we remembered his big hit was titled, ironically enough for a blind guy, Angel Eyes. (hence the Angel Light thing) I could not for the life of me remember how the song went. As I was driving in to work, flipping through the "wacky morning radio shows" I heard this song.

OK, nothing... just hearing a song I haven't heard in 15 years or so... Wondering what Jeff Healey's doing these days...

2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It's not a's the angel light. Are your fingers numb?

brad cook
  3. Just the right side of my face and left buttock. Also the back of my impossibly huge calves. They often absorb excess energy.
  4. Bennito

Sep 12, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    A few years ago, Jeff opened up his own club called "Healy's". It has since become one of the more respected venues in Toronto. Every Monday or Tuesday night, Healy rocks out on guitar. Killer playing. And then on Sunday he has a free afternoon show where he plays jazz trumpet. Equally as amazing on trumpet. He's just incredible.
  5. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
  6. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Wow. What a loss. He was an amazing, inspiring musician.

Fly free, Jeff. You're playing with the angels now.
  7. JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    very sad dealing with cancer since he was 1. Loved him as a guitarist and singer and thought he was great in Road House. RIP Jeff You now have the eyes of an angel.
  8. Hi.

R.I.P Jeff.

I remember watching Jeff on MTV when I was young. The way he played his guitar looked really silly for a young rock fan, but boy did the music come out brilliantly. The lap-steel style was something only old Hawaian music farts would play, I do know better now ;).

His line "nice to see You" in the Roadhouse, always made me smile, he seemed so natural entertainer somehow.

I broke the ice once with a comment about Healey. We were on a "school trip" with my classmates on a ferry over to Sweden. It was the policy of the shipping company to have 1 adult to supervise 10 underage kids those days. One of the girls dated a local rock singer, and he and the bands guitarist were the "adults" that were choosen for the job :D. Allthough only a couple of years older than us, THEY were the adults and we were the KIDS.

We obviously had some beer and some wine with us, as only a few of us looked old enough to buy some (we were 16 and the legal age was 18/21). We were having fun in one of the cabins when the guitarplayer asked if anyone of us had heard this new blind guitarplayer on MTV and I obviously said yes, he's really good. The conversation then turned to the fact that he's blind, how can he be so good? So out of the blue I said "Well, when the other kids were reading books, he must have played guitar." A moment of silence, and I suddenly had two new friends :D. They thought that what I said was really spot on and the rest of the trip I got to hang out with them. It was a kind of a big deal then, and I still remember the guitar-shops and vintage LP-shops we went to when we walked around Stockholm.

It's a pity that remembering these good memories were triggered by Your death Jeff. Now You have the best of them to jam with.