1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jeff Kartak's "The CD Seller" - Anyone tried/use one?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by DanielleMuscato, Aug 15, 2007.

1. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    I don't know if this belongs here or in Misc, so I stuck it here. I received this email today:

"My name is Jeff Kartak. I'm a working musician and I sell my CDs at my performances. I wanted to display my CDs with a professional look, right by my fans so they would first of all SEE THEM, and then be able to purchase one without interrupting the show or waiting for me to take a break. So I designed a product to do just that. It's called The CD Seller. It holds 12 CDs, has a locking cashbox, a sign holder and a fitting that mounts it to any microphone stand. I put The CD Seller next to the stage and now I sell many more CDs at my gigs. In fact, my CD sales increased so much at my performances using The CD Seller that I refined the product, started my own business and now make them available to other artists like you. I'm so confident you will sell more CDs with The CD Seller, it comes with a 30 day money back guarantee! At $39.95 The CD Seller is so affordably priced, for most artists it pays for itself on the first gig! It's a powerful investment and CD sales tool that will pay for itself many times over. Find out more at www.thecdseller.com. Over 1,200 sold!"

1125132712_33c0ec373f.

Has anybody else received this email? I've never heard of the guy, the company, or the product, but it seems like a great idea and I just ordered one to try it out. Just yesterday, my band was discussing the need for some way to tastefully but assertively advertise that we have CDs for sale at our shows, and by random chance, I got this email today. It was about $50 including shipping, with the optional business card holder. I figure that if we sell 10 more CDs because of this, it will have been worth it. They have a 30-day refund offer if it doesn't. We started talking about this because at our last show, we only sold 1 CD!!

What do you think? Would you buy this? I'll let you know what I think of it when it arrives.

- Dave

2. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    We used this for the first time at a gig last night. It was so great to have it right then next to the stage, on a mic stand, without having to worry about a table or somebody handling cash, etc. It was very handy to have our business cards in a holder just right there where we could grab one. I wish it had cost less than $50, but I hope that it will pay for itself in increased CD sales over the next few gigs.

Cool! If you can make one for $20, go for it. I do like that it's clear acrylic, and it seems solid enough. The mic stand attachment is such a great idea. I like thing a lot - we are going to use it whenever we play bars & small clubs from now on.

3. skywalkerla5

skywalkerla5

Jun 11, 2006
    couldn't people just steal CD's though?

4. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Yes, they could. Stealing a CD is a lot different than "sharing" MP3s, though... Do you think anyone would actually do that?

I read some reviews of this product on Harmony Central, I think it was, and one guy was saying that his band doesn't even lock the money part... apparently nobody tries to steal like that. I guess it's just a matter of trust, where you're playing, and how close you put this thing to the stage, where you can see it.

5. Rufo

Rufo

Feb 4, 2018
    Hey Danielle,
    I've got one - had it for a few years - and I'm away from home and I'd like to make a new sign for it while I'm away. If I were home I'd just go look, but...do you have it handy enough to tell me the dimensions of the sign that goes in the holder should be?
    Thanks,
    ~ R.