1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jeff's Thread. No Topic! Just Go for It. But, Be Nice!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by JeffBerlin, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    BassyBill worked is butt off on that last thread. I tried to send ya a message Buddy, but I don't know enough about Talkbass to do that.

So I'll just offer a thought or 10!

Well Done Bassy Bill! You were corralling us like Gene Autry used to do. But here, I thought that if anyone wants to detour, to talk about music in any way that they want, it is OK with me! Hopefully it will be OK with the moderators because they don't like things to detour off of topic which is is why I titled this thread the way that I did.

To make clear, I am for music, first and foremost! If others are like-minded people, then there are methods and systems that will give them what they want. These will be the things that I will press upon you. I know that some believe that they see things in different ways, and this is OK! Let's chat! I simply will always guide anybody who is interested in upgrading their playing and musical awareness to those things that will give them what they want.

Music is not an easy road! But getting better at is isn't so hard to do either. Some will argue hard against doing those things that will get to to improve. They must have their reasons for doing so, so let's start here.

Please tell us the methods that you feel will help you to improve in music! Thanks, and let the Games begin!

P.S. Who's the moderator here? P.P.S. Bassy Bill. C'mon over!

2. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Here! :D

I just closed the other thread because I thought we were going round in circles a bit. No big deal. I didn't want the discussion to get heated because it's kind of awkward for me as a mod to have that stuff in a thread that I started, and I didn't want to keep having to "corral" that all night (it's 9PM here). Anyway, this really isn't my forum, modwise.

A general thread for any old aspects of music sounds fine to me, as long as people play nice. I do dislike it when people I consider friends start squaring up to each other! Not necessary in my view. We're all people, all musicians and all bassists, are we not?

Okay, in the spirit of this being a general discussion on music - what things do you guys find the most musically satisfying in your regular playing/practising/listening or whatever? For me, I think it's when I get the chance to play with a really first rate drummer. Never fails to bring a smile to my face and I go home happy.

How about you?

3. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    By the way, Jeff, the mods in this forum are Mark Wilson and Blackbird (Will). Both of these guys are totally cool. That's actually a pre-requisite for getting to be a mod here. :D

4. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    Subscribed!

5. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    I'm terrific! You did a good job with us. We covered a lot of ground about reading. Regarding my comment about JimmyM, for some time, he was quite rude about me and no moderator did anything about it (why was that?) I simply took one opportunity after the months of his sarcasm and rage and called him on his attitude over here. Frankly I played him like a fish. He responded exactly like I knew he would, and he still is!

But, you had a job to do and you did it well. Are you OK with me?

6. I feel the best way to get better at music is to listen to music, and the first step in listening to music is to know how to listen to music in order to get better. After you listen to music and desire to get better at playing it, that's when the door opens to be able to teach but, until that door opens, you can teach all the theory and musical knowledge you want. You're talking to yourself. You must fall in love with music like a girlfriend, and then marry her so that you can develop a deeper understanding of who she is. Then you can have music babies!!!

7. sobie18

sobie18

May 5, 2002
    Shaw AFB, SC
    Wow, where to begin on this one...

8. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    I love drummers who hear a quarter note the exact same way that I do, that I can hear a quarter note the exact same way that they can hear. It is a total joy.

9. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I dunno does this fit in General Instruction, but it probably fits the thread, so here goes...

You mentioned in the past, in reply to a question of mine, that you've been experimenting with distortion recently, I'd like to hear about that in more depth, where you're using it, what kinds of distortion, and your overall fellings about it.

10. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    Good point! Every player in history who became inspired to improve were influenced by someone else's playing. Listening and imitating what one hears is called ear training as well. It is one of the top shelf ways to learn how to play.

11. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    Hello you Guys! Thanks for helping. My only request is that you send me a few thousand in an unmarked bag to my music school.

12. sobie18

sobie18

May 5, 2002
    Shaw AFB, SC
    - Drummers who have a huge pocket that you can share
    - Drummers that have good time & tempo control
    - Drummers who subliminally play a fill with you and you do the same--where a fill is deemed appropriate
    - Grooving during a song and then the guitarist looks to you to play a solo and you have been taking a solo for the last 5+ minutes...just smile and keep grooving!

Figured I would pick on drummers first

13. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    I actually haven't staretd to fool around with pedals yet, but I am planning to. I have a JAM pedal from Greece and Markbass are making fantastic pedals as well. I am a 100% dedicated-to-their-amps fan of Markbass. But, I am giving the pedals a chance to show what they have for me. Probably they will be amazing. But JAM pedals are quite great themselves and I want to check them out.

14. IMO, it's the most infantile, yet most important, way of learning to understand music for what it is. I learned at age 3 how to play songs on piano simply by hearing my grandmother playing and then hearing cartoon theme songs on TV.......at age 3. I was playing Chariots Of Fire on piano at age 5 but that never would have happened if I didn't fall in love with her at age 3. It starts at an early age, IMO, and develops the rest of your life.

15. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I'm okay with ANYONE who is polite and shows the terrific membership we have here total respect. ;)

16. ^ This.

17. sobie18

sobie18

May 5, 2002
    Shaw AFB, SC
    I find playing with different players, different styles, etc. has helped me quite a bit.

I learned so much about the Blues from my drummer in Salt Lake City (Fred Marcin). We would play the same 40+ songs every gig (sometimes with 3 different guitarists in rotation) and they NEVER got old or tiresome to play. I learned about note length/duration, placement of the note, laying back/pushing, feel, dynamics, etc.

Talk about a music lesson! And from a drummer nonetheless.

Fred was an extraordinary MUSICIAN. I am forever grateful.

18. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    )*(&_)(*!@*(^&@#&^@#$()*@&#$*(&!@^#_*(&$#(&*@#*$^(*&^(!@^$#

Seriously, in the last post I mentioned that many bass players don't know how to play well, nor have an ear to tune their own bass. i suggest that players over here make an effort to improve their ear and their playing. The best way to do this is to learn written music and the facts that can be offered via this method, and to learn how to tune one's instrument without a tuner. These are helpful suggestions. Let me know if they work for people.

19. sobie18

sobie18

May 5, 2002
    Shaw AFB, SC
    Playing with different musicians at jams has helped me with ear training, knowing what to play for the SONG (especially when it's one of their originals), thinking on your feet, and knowing what's appropriate. I find this especially playing a song you have never heard before and they are expecting you to make music with what they briefly show you.

Yes, you get some occasional bad jams with folks (and clowns) but they are sometimes good for experience.

20. Twnty1inRF

Twnty1inRF

Sep 13, 2007
    DC Region
    Wow, kiss your kids with that mouth? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.