Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jello drops Dead Kennedys lawsuit

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by baba, Jul 13, 2004.

1. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
  2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    The whole mess was really depressing. Jello is not wholly without blame, but the actions of the other band members was utterly reprehensible. Selling "Holiday in Cambodia" for a Jean's Ad?!?!?!

Of course, its only fair that every member get their due and withholding royalties is a real bastard thing to do. But, based on several interviews I've read of East Bay Ray, it's pretty apparent that the money is the only thing that's important to him. Everything the band did is irrelevant and he seems just concerned with cashing in on its legacy (and its him whose running the show as the other DK members seem content to comply with whatever he says). DK will probably keep touring with whatever 2-bit wannabe hardcore singer they can find (assuming Brandon Cruz comes to his senses) and milking the Mall-punk/Minor Threat-bootleg-shirt-wearing demographic dry.

I liked the Dead Kennedys, but I LOVE Alternative Tentacles, which has some of the most unique, intense and quality music ever produced. This lawsuit, along with the loss of the DK recordings, was seriously damaging AT, Jello probably dropped the lawsuit to save the label because he actually cares about the music he produces.

The Dead Kennedys will never be the same again, no matter what, the damage has been done, it's just sad that one of the most seminal and iconic bands of hardcore has to fizzle out so pathetically.

3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    :bawl: :crying: :bawl: What a shame. I love the AT label and DK. If you know the band's message within its music, the irony is staggering.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Holiday in Cambodia for a Jeans Ad.

"You'll work harder with a gun in your back for a bowl of rice a day"

*** does this have to do with Jeans?

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    But most people who buy Jeans because a commerical tells them to don't know who DK are. If you are going for that punk edge. SK8er Boi sellz!

6. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

Interestingly enough, a significant number of the DKs audience does whatever Jello tells them too...so the jeans company was hoping to harness that power.

7. that thing was very poorly written, that article...