Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jellyfish spilt milk

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Murf, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Hi guys/gals,
    A mate gave me this album (jellyfish spilt milk) a few days ago and what can I say :eek: this is quite possibly the finest pop album of the last 20 years, seriously, great musicianship, great melodies (gorgeous harmonies)..FANTASTIC production and bloody good songs.

What's baffling me is that this album came out in '93 and yet no-body seems to have heard of it:confused: and it also seems to have disappeared without a trace and the band themselves split up shortly afterwards as well.

I mean this album should be up there with the classics.

So if you like queen, supertramp, beatles, early Floyd/genesis with a bit of weather report and petsounds thrown in.....CHECK IT OUT!!!!

ps: what's frightening is that the guys were only 23/24 years old when they recorded this.

pps: oh yeah and there's some pretty tasty bass playing on it as well.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yeah, check out their debut self titled album too. If I remember correctly, the bassist was the singers brother.

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes, I used to have it, it's great! I think the singer had a hit a few years ago, I can't remember the title of the hit right now, but it was too repetitive for me and a letdown after Jellyfish.

edit: I think the hit was called "Don't Let Go"

4. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    I got a cassette version of the debut "bellybutton", to be quite honest it's good but I think spilt milk is in another league altogether.

From what I've been able to find out the "spilt milk" album was a different incarnation of the original Jellyfish band ie: the only original members were the drummer/vocalist and the keyboard player.

And apparently the bassist on spilt milk never played bass in his life till that album:eek: if this is true he must be fastest learner of all time:D

5. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yeah, while there are some brilliant songs on bellybutton (why was I thinking self titled?) Spilt Milk is definitely a better overall album.

I can't remember who played bass on Spilt Milk, if Andy Sturmers brother Chris was still in the band at that time. But I remember being very impressed with some of the bass on bellybutton, especially since the guy had only been playing an extremely short time. Then I found out they used session bassists for the tougher stuff (King Is Half Undressed)

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Tim Smith played bass on Spilt Milk...Smith went on to play with one of my other favourite bands of that era(?), The Producers(replacing Kyle Henderson).
    Smith, last I heard, is with Sheryl Crow.

I guess I need to finally pick up Spilt Milk(I've had Bellybutton fro awhile; it is enjoyable. BTW, John Patitucci also plays bass on Bellybuttonn...I think 1 tune on URB).

Jellyfish does have a Pop/Beatles thing goin' on.
    Nuthin' wrong with that.

7. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I saw them live on the Bellybutton tour. Absolutely astounding. Harmonies were dead on, playing was dead on. I didn't see any signs of prerecording stuff either. The drummer played standing up at the lip of the stage for the entire show. I know they have a box set out with demos and live stuff on it. I really need to special order that somday.....Oh yeah, the same guy that produced Jellyfish produced Saturday Night Fever as well!

8. I taped off the radio a live gig of Jellyfish circa. the Bellybutton album- around 1991-92?

on hearing the tape my big brother remarked that he liked what the guitarist was doing- reminiscent of Pete Townshend- but thought the vocals sounded like Foreigner(!)

"baby's coming back" was a minor hit in the UK.
    the bass playing on the recordings was impressive- whoever actually played on them.

didn't the keyboard player join Slash's snakepit as singer, and then Imperial drag?

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    That was Eric Dover, he originally joined Jellyfish as a touring guitarist for the Spilt Milk tour. After they split up, he sang in Snakepit and then ID.

Roger Manning was keyboard player in Jellyfish and ID.

Eric Dover is now guitarist with Alice Cooper, talk about a varied career!

10. Glad you "discovered" Jellyfish!

Seems like they were run over by the Grunge Rollercoaster and never made the impact they should have. Most of my musician friends love Spilt Milk, which is an incredible piece of work from start to finish. The production is amazing.

Sadly, I didn't hear about the band until after they were long gone as well....

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Great CD. I need to get another copy, mine got broken a few months ago.

12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I have the Jellyfish boxed set. It's amazing. They do some pretty spot on versions of "Baby Come Back," "Jet," and more. Demos are great. It's cool to hear the songs back when they were just songs.

And, the version of "Eleanor Rigby" for a Japanese TV show is absolutely astounding--They worked it up right before the show because EMI Japan wanted them to do a Beatles cover.:confused: :D A lot of great stuff from Japan on the set.

All of the live stuff is great, too. How those guys did that live is beyond me.

As for "Spilt Milk," I've heard that it was one of the most expensive recordings at the time, and the album is often used to test out recording studios. I believe it.

Andy Sturmer just produced a Japanese duo's album, and it sounds like Jellyfish! So, I'm going to have to pick it up soon.

13. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Yeah, I heard that, they're called puffy yumi ya (or something) he also did the theme tune for the "Teen Titans" cartoon.

The spilt milk keyboardist roger manning is now part of Becks touring band.

I dont know about pattitucci on Bellybutton but there's a track on spilt milk called "russian hill" that has the most amazing URB tone.

14. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I saw them live on the Spilt Milk tour and it was astounding. Huge, huge vocals. Great band, totally over the top production (but in a good way) and had Jason Falkner in there for a while. There's a killer acoustic version of the Move's "I Can Hear The Grass Grow"- is it on the box set? Anyway, it slays me.

15. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I guess the boxed set is out of print now. It wasn't to be found on the Not Lame website. I'll check to see if "I Can Hear the Grass Grow" on there, and get back to ya...

The Japanese duo (Puffy Amiyumi) has some stuff there.

Here's the album produced by Andy Sturmer:

http://www.notlame.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=CDPUFF4&variation=&aitem=184&mitem=202

16. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    WOW!! I managed to get my hands on some live tracks from the spilt milk tour :eek: astonishlingly good live (and not a backing track in sight)they also did a killer version of fleetwood macs you can go your own way...gawddammit why cant my bands backing vocals sound like that.

Seriously though, one of the most up and coming bands here in Ireland (possibly UK as well) are a group called "The Thrills"...they're not bad but they're basically Jellyfish lite without the lyrics or intricate harmonies (they have that vibey beach boys thing going on though) and they are CLEANING up, every single has gone to number 1 in the Irish charts and I believe the album is doing well in the UK as well.

Now if they are a "watered down" version of Jellyfish can you imagine how well the real thing would do if they reformed?;)

I think if Spilt milk was (re)released to-day it would be HUGE!!

17. submelodic

submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    You may also like Jason Falkner's solo material. I recommend his first album, Jason Falkner Presents Author Unknown.

18. Splanky

Splanky

Jun 10, 2002
    Gothenburg Sweden
    Unbelievable that so many of you guy´s remember!

Jellyfish has been one of my favourite bands since, well 1990. Together with Kevin Gilbert that is. Who is another must check guy (www.kevingilbert.com) excellent and very tasteful bassplayer extraordinare.

Tim Smith who played bass on the Spiltmilk album formed a band called Umajets. The released 2 albums. The first one were really good sort of jellyfishlike. Recommended if you can find them.

19. Armchair Thief

Armchair Thief Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Add me to the list of people who remember Jellyfish. :) Back when Spilt Milk was first released, I was working in a record store and I would play that CD in-store whenever I could get away with it. Awesome album, it was both retro and ahead of its time, if that makes any sense.

I love Kevin Gilbert's stuff too (Thud is just one of those must-have desert-island type albums to me.) I was truly saddened when he died.

20. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Reviving an old thread here, but I just got Bellybutton and love it. I remember this disc from the early 90's, our guitar player had it and we listened to it a bit while on the road. Now I'm totally into it and the bass playing is great. Going to have to look for the box set on the bay.